Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 434543 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1245 on: May 20, 2012, 05:45:46 pm »
My two cents worth, get the book "Run Your Butt Off".

Great read for lapsed runners who want to return to running, as well as for those who have never run before.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #1246 on: May 20, 2012, 10:35:19 pm »
Hi "New Girl" - agree with Jan, although I've never read the book, I know that type of book can be very helpful.

Here's my top 10 list -

Get a good pair of running shoes - go to a real running store (not just a department store that sells Nikes) and have the running store salesperson fit you for a pair of running shoes that works with your 'style'  / gait or whatever you call it. Buying a good pair of shoes is worth every penny because you are protecting yourself from injury, especially (in my case) shin splints.

Along with your good pair of shoes, get decent socks - I like ones that are a bit more cushiony. When I run on trails (and through creeks) I use thinner ones that dry quicker.

Get on Runners world.com and read some of the articles written for newbies/beginning runners - they are very helpful. There's a huge variety of topics that address injury prevention, stretching, diet, short distance, long distance... etc etc.

Don't be afraid to mix running with walking! I see so many runners post things like "Today I ran 2 miles and I really tried to do it all without walking." There's nothing at all wrong with walk/run/walk/run etc etc. This is true for beginners and also those who have been at it a while. You can build up to more running than walking and, in many distances, all running and no walking, but I know many that run marathon distances where they employ a run / walk method to get through the whole thing. I guess I'm just trying to say that there's nothing wrong with walking in the midst of your running! It's probably better (IMO) to go out and run, then walk some then run / walk etc  than to beat yourself up running then having to walk the rest of the way, dead tired.

Make sure you drink plenty of water or Gatorade, Powerade or something like that. I always carry a belt thing with a bottle of water or Gatorade, even if I'm running a short run.

If you are in a city, check to see if they have a Road Runners club.. I think there are listings under Road Runners club of America. Many times there are local chapters that have training programs for beginners and you shoot for a goal race, like a 5k.

Realize that you most likely won't get the 'runner's high at the beginning, that may or may not come later. You will feel better once you complete a work out. I run a lot, and hardly get that runner's high.  Also, it's going to feel tough until you're warmed up. When I take off to run, I usually feel like a slug for the first mile.

And, this may be a TMI girl thing, but I always wear these tight short things underneath my running shorts. I hate it when my thighs rub together and chafe and if you run and mix all that with sweat, it really hurts.

That's my top 10 list.. I have no idea how many things I listed (did I hit 10?) ! The most important advice, IMO, is to get good shoes.

Keep us posted!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #1247 on: May 21, 2012, 08:45:38 am »
What a great list, Keri - I especially like the walk/run thing - it sure makes me feel better!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #1248 on: May 22, 2012, 01:03:06 pm »
I agree completely with Keri about the shoes!  I had sticker shock the first time I bought a pair of true running shoes, but SO worth it!  And, yes, nothing wrong with jog/walk, jog/walk - I doubt I could even run one mile without stopping to walk!  Just keep moving ;D

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

New girl

« Reply #1249 on: May 24, 2012, 05:10:23 pm »
Thanks everyone for the great advice!  I will definately get a copy of that book.  I am looking forward to getting back in shape and burning off some stress!  :)  Ill keep you posted.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1250 on: May 25, 2012, 11:55:23 am »
Great tips from Keri.

My knee is almost back to normal (85%); saw the doc this morning.

He still isn't wild about me running, but I'm still not wild about the elliptical machine.  So, I think I'm going to pick up where I left off, invest in a new pair of running shoes with more support, take it slow and see what happens.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1251 on: May 25, 2012, 03:20:47 pm »
Jan. try to find out if there is a running store in your area that does gait analysis (filming you running barefoot on a treadmill). They can put you in exactly the right shoe for your needs. It makes a huge difference whether your ankles pronate or supinate when you run.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1252 on: May 26, 2012, 02:32:27 pm »
I only walk/run ... with mostly walk ... most important thing is to move

as for shorts thing ...not TMI at all ... I wear tight fitting bike  shorts under my running shorts too for samreasonsns you mentioned ... also wear them under pants wheworkingng around farm for same reasons plus keeps grit from getting in to the mix making fomiserablele me ...

bsluggishgish lately ...allergies kicking me around ...and have a cut running across bottom of piggy toe all the way to middle toe right where they join foot ... was coming up steps barefooted and stepped wrong... just caught step with toes not foot and when it slid off it more tore than cut them ...kinda a dumb odd injury and not big ... but hurts like heck ... super glues them after cleaning them out ... my toes feel twice the size they look ...

had been practicing soft ball with girls .. now I stand in one spot and pitch for them or throw to them or bat pop flies or grounders and they are doing all the running ... not up to chasing balls around the field on foot just yet
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1253 on: May 26, 2012, 10:31:21 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Saralynn.  Kay mentioned something similar to me.

Will have to see what I can find in my area.

Jan

cindyj

« Reply #1254 on: June 07, 2012, 02:15:00 pm »
Kind of quiet around here...how's everybody doing?  Still moving?  I am still going to the gym for various group classes, but have to bully myself into it most days ::)  But, I am always glad I went!  My niece got married two weeks ago and I had to fit into my dress, so that was motivation for me.  Trying to find something else to motivate me for the rest of the summer...another niece getting married in Oct, but I don't think I can "fool" myself that I'm getting ready for something that far away ;)

Well, hope you are all doing whatever works for you!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #1255 on: June 07, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »
I was just thinking about this thread...been walking/running either 2 or 4 miles every weekday (running more every day!) - getting pretty hot here.  Yesterday, I din't get to go until 11:00 but MADE myself do it.  A good friend just had a body lift (WHOLE torso, butt and outer thighs) - I sat with/cared for her today - that right there is MAJOR motivation for me...and I got a major workout just trying to get her up & down repeatedly!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #1256 on: June 08, 2012, 08:14:49 pm »
Good for you, Kay! A body lift??? What is that? Sounds painful. Did they cut stuff off? Or just move it around?

Cindy - glad you checked in too. I stay motivated by signing up for stuff. I did a very muddy trail run last weekend. It was.. fun, at first. I was glad to finish it/complete it. It wasn't technically a 'mud run' (like those races where you swim through mud and jump through fire). It was a trail run after a heavy rain. Some lovely views of Great Falls / Potomac River. But, I swear, the hills grew in size by at least double on the return trip! I have a picture on facebook of my incredibly muddy shoes! But, mud is a status symbol in the world of trail running! I do love it. It's just hard to run in after a few hours of it.

I know it's getting hot out. Hopefully everyone is doing something to stay active. Summer is a good time to try a 5k.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

New girl

« Reply #1257 on: June 10, 2012, 06:04:33 am »
Running Update - I got the Run Your Butt Off book and I really like it!  Thanks for the recommendation.  I like it since it is really practical (transitions you into running) and gives a structured approach.  I am attempting the 12 week program.  I am in week 2 starting today and I just finished my first workout of the week (4 min walk, 1 min run x5).  It was a good workout but wasnt too hard that I felt discouraged.  I got a cool watch that keeps track of the time for me.  So far so good!!  ;D
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1258 on: June 11, 2012, 08:37:30 pm »
New Girl -

glad you like the book.  I found it very helpful.

I've been "off" running for about 6 weeks now due to a knee injury, but today I decided to start back up again with 4 mins walking/1 min running and will progress from there.

Jan

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1259 on: June 12, 2012, 06:11:36 am »
Been chasing kids around VBS since Sunday night ...we wrap it up tomorrow night ...

been walking a little ...planters fascia or what ever it is call is rearing it's ugly head ... doing ankle PT that did before and it is improving some … ankles barely bend when I first get up … need a boot on left foot at noght but haven’t found one to borrow … insurance won’t pay for it and it is almost $300 … see them occasionally at goodwill and would get one if it was right size and for left foot … dip the thing in bleach and use it …

Have Relay For Life on the 23rd … as it stands I won’t be doing a lot of walking … hoped for 5 miles throughout the night … looks like a mile will be lucky… ankle actually loosens up when I use it and feels better … if I have done a lot of walking it will swell that night and hurt like heck …

My PCP is trying to get approval to inject cortisone … have had that done before and it helps a lot after the initial pain goes away at injection site… it would be shot in the bottom of my foot at the heel spur I have developed ... not pleasant at all ... well at least not until about day three
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery