Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 434540 times)

Kaybo

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1260 on: June 12, 2012, 06:37:17 am »
My PF has really flared up...I got a little thing at the running store yesterday (getting Addi good shoes - she's in a conditioning camp for HS Athletics M-Th, 2 hrs/day for 6 weeks). The guy swears it is what helped his PF. Also going to get some new ortho flippies that Debbi recommends...I'll keep y'all updated...Jan, how's your PF? Still walking w/ more running thrown in but only 2 miles...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1261 on: June 12, 2012, 06:52:11 am »
Do tell ... what is the "little thing" you got that is suppose to help PF ... I have got good shoes , inserts and PT exercises and it comes back and each time it seems worse ... I am up to try about anything except surgery that the ortho wants to do ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kaybo

« Reply #1262 on: June 12, 2012, 08:02:01 am »
It's called a "StepStretch" he said he did it at least 10 times/day - he used a boney foot to explain to me all about PF & how those muscles need to stretch out...who knows but I'm like you, I'll try anything...if you need me to, I can send you one if you're really interested & can't find on web (I haven't looked)! LMK!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #1263 on: June 12, 2012, 08:14:14 am »
The shoe catalog Footsmart has all kinds of items for different foot issues.  Also shoes.     They have a website too in case anyone is interested.       I have not had trouble anymore with PF since not working.      I can even getting by with going barefoot in the house now.       I feel for those of you with it as it did hurt like heck.         I hope for help for those who do have it.                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cheryl R

« Reply #1264 on: June 12, 2012, 08:19:46 am »
The FootSmart catalog shows a stretch product which looks like might be very similar to what you have.       www.footsmart.com         I can only say that I have bought shoes from them and nothing else.                         Cheryl R     

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1265 on: June 12, 2012, 02:51:27 pm »
My PF isn't an issue anymore - thankfully. 

It's been replaced by my knee issues, but after working out yesterday my knee doesn't feel so bad.  (Hope I didn't just jinx myself).

Let us know how the StepStretch works, Kay.

And Cheryl, thanks for the info on footsmart.com   Will have to check it out.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #1266 on: June 14, 2012, 12:40:11 pm »
Sounds like we're all a bit beat up (my shoulder is still bad), but plugging away...I just read an article about a lady who lost her left lung and one leg to cancer and she does triathlons (Olympic), charity runs thru the Livestrong group, etc - very inspiring!  Kerri, you're mud event sounds like fun!  I agree about signing up for races for motivation.  We will do our 1/2 marathon in Feb again next year, but won't start training for that until later this year.  I have been watching a bit of American Ninja Warrior - now those are some strong guys!  Wish I were much, much younger and could try some of that type of training :o  But that does remind me that our very own Donnalynn has done a bit of rock climbing - very cool!

Keep on keeping on, all!

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jill Marie

« Reply #1267 on: June 16, 2012, 08:14:55 pm »
Hi all, long time no post!  I have a new workout plan that doesn't leave me the time or energy to post anymore.  I decided to post today as it's my 20th Anniversary of my surgery.  My husband and my son that's in the Military got me a Belgian Shepherd puppy for Christmas, hence the new exercise program.  The Vet told us that if we didn't keep him entertained and exercised on a regular basis we would be sorry.  We started walking him every night despite the darkness and bad weather.  I then started taking him to classes.  Between the walking and training and work I don't have much time to go to the gym.  I was fearful of my doctor appointment this Spring expecting my weight to be up, instead they asked what I had done to loose the 9 pounds.  Can't believe all the years of trying to loose then when I quit trying I actually loose some. 

Glad to see the thread is still going!  Take Care, Jill :D
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Keri

« Reply #1268 on: June 18, 2012, 05:02:27 pm »
20th anniversary!! Wow, Jill! Great to hear from you. Congrats on the doggie! I wish I had a dog to run with on trails.. they love going in the creek; it looks like so much fun.

I know the dog is keeping you busy, but it sounds like fun.

Good for you!

Also - regarding the PF problem that was tossed around a few days ago... there's some type of sock you can wear that stretches out something while you sleep.. you wear it at night. I can't think of what it's called. My husband used it very successfully. I'll try to find out what it was; the other suggestions sound good too!

I'm glad the book Jan recommended has been inspiring as well.

Keep it up, everyone!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #1269 on: June 19, 2012, 01:20:35 pm »
Just ordered a step stretch and will see what it does for me . looks better than and safer than my standing with front of foot on a 2x4 and lifting my weight up to stretch things out...

not at all looking forward to relay ... may just make sno-cones and forget walking ...although making sno-cones is as bad as walking while sore
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #1270 on: June 19, 2012, 07:40:24 pm »
Soundy~
The first day of two I used it tons and I could tell a difference - haven't had time to use it as much the last few days and I can tell (LOTS of pain but I'll be OK - had MUCH worse!) - I will definitely be using it more...

K   ;D

PS - The Girlies LOVE it!!   ;)
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #1271 on: June 19, 2012, 10:56:07 pm »
Hi Keri,

How about  I loan you my dog?  I know he wishes I would run the trails with him. 

I've read a few of the posts and it looks like everyone is keeping busy despite some physical setbacks.  Hope all are doing well soon so you can enjoy the Summer.  Take Care Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Soundy

« Reply #1272 on: June 21, 2012, 10:33:23 am »
I can see my girls trying to take it and don't have it yet. They can't stand mom having a new toy. Actually it will be good for Hannah too as she hasdaily exercises to stretch her achilles tendon
Translab July 2 ,2007

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #1273 on: June 22, 2012, 04:11:04 pm »
Tried riding my bike a couple of days ago, not a good thing.   :(

Hoping that if I switch from streets & sidewalks to regular bike pathes this will help.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Jill Marie

« Reply #1274 on: June 22, 2012, 09:56:20 pm »
Hi Karen,

I highly recommend bike trails over streets and sidewalks, there are WAY to many things to distract you on the streets.  The bike paths give you a much better chance to ride without interruption and if you have balance issues that's a big plus.  I started riding on the streets and hated it.  I know can ride 20 to 40 miles on bike paths.  Riding on the paths gave me the courage to try the streets again and they aren't a problem any longer either.  I loved 8) the feeling I got the first time I rode down a hill I had ridden on many times and didn't use the brakes, I felt free and so happy I conquered my fear.  I didn't do this quickly so take your time.  Let me know how it goes!  Jill  8)