Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 434537 times)

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1275 on: June 24, 2012, 08:36:08 am »
Jill
Thanks for the encouragement. 
My neighbor and Mike (from the forum) suggested I get a three wheeler.  NO!  I'm doing the  bike paths; I'm sure that'll work just fine.  We certainly have enough of them here in the Tampa area.  I'll keep you posted.  It's going to need to dry out a lot before I can go out use them (sitting here in the outflow of TS Debby)
Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1276 on: June 24, 2012, 10:20:56 am »

Have Relay For Life done and in recovery mode...

Got too hot while setting up and ended up with headache and nausea... about 45 minutes with wet towels on head under a fan and I continued on... only walked about 2 miles ... most of those laps when Bo came by too see the girls  get their hair cut for Locks of Love... he held my hand and dragged me around the track... he never walks fast but his legs are about 8 inches longer than mine and those big steps are too much for me ... I ended up letting go of his hand and holding the back of his shirt so when he would make me wobble I could let go ...

never felt real good all night and packed up the Sno-cone machine around 2 this morning and took it to the kitchen building to lock up... I am going to be back at the park to set up for Day Camp this afternoon and saw no need to bring it home and then take it back... by the time we had taken everything we needed to leave at the park to where it needed to be  , cleaned up our area and turned in money we had taken in , it was a little after 3... it ended at 5 and since we were already cleaned up we went on and stayed...

the girls slept from 3 until about 10 minutes before closing when I woke them for final lap and closing prayers and head count of remaining walkers ... we started the night with about 500 walkers and ended with124 ... got home around 5:30 and we were all in bed by 6 ... slept til 8 and fully intended on going to church ... but the girls growled at me when I went to ask if they were going , so we skipped this morning ...

when they held the Circle of Light Ceremony in memory of those lost to cancer this year , it was hard ... there were 11 losses represented this year including Daddy who has only been gone 3 months ... they add an extra luminary and have them in a circle in center of track and family members gather around them to light the candles as the names are called ... it is always emotional

well lets go finish unloading truck and then reload it so I can get back to the park ... Ugh…
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Keri

« Reply #1277 on: June 26, 2012, 08:08:13 am »
Wow, Soundy, seems like that was a moving and emotional relay... Take care of yourself in the heat.

Karen - totally agree with Jill.. find bike paths. I love biking but hate riding in the street. Cars get so impatient and it's just not safe at times, especially if you're getting started out again. I saw a pic of it down there... take care! Wow. Wish some of that rain would hit Colorado.

I'm trying to motivate myself to run today. So far I'm not doing a very good job!

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #1278 on: June 26, 2012, 12:32:16 pm »
Started a water aerobics class last week w/ my friends (my jog/walking friends) to give us a change for the Summer.  It's not too intense, but I figure it must be doing some good and it sure is nice to not be sweating!  The water feels just great and I know it's better for our joints...Fun group of ladies and fun music also...

Keri, did you get out and run yet today?  If not, let's go!  Well, maybe wait til the sun goes down some 8) then go!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #1279 on: June 27, 2012, 09:22:55 am »
I am at a camp with Addi this week - the camp is actually for inner city kids & it is a mission camp for our group. We provide & prepare all the meals (& clean up) for everyone for the whole week. It's about 300+!!  I am very tired & sore (5 comes very early) but I hate it because it's all from standing in kitchen - NOT exercising!  I would live to go do something (there's 154 steps down to our cabin but no rail so I have to drive it - we aren't allowed to walk in that road - but there's no rail!) but the only times I can it's either 106 degrees (literally) or dark! I guess there's always next week & I'll just be a slug this week!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #1280 on: June 27, 2012, 02:16:36 pm »
Hi, everybody!

Just returned from doing 2 sessions Monday and Tuesday with a personal trainer that I have at the JCC, I must say that it's tough to get back into the groove of things after this mind over matter thing I've been going through while I am recovering from the GK procedure. I must say I prefer sweating and getting physical again.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

New girl

« Reply #1281 on: June 27, 2012, 03:07:06 pm »
Wow Kaybo - taking care of 300+ people is a lot of work!  They are lucky to have you.

This week I started phase III of the running program (4 min walk, 2 min run x 5).  It was tough at first but I have been keeping my pace slow and things are going well.  My husband has been going with me so it is nice to have some extra motivation.  ;D
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

cindyj

« Reply #1282 on: June 29, 2012, 11:52:10 am »
Mike, good for you for getting back on the exercise wagon!  Feels good, doesn't it!  Keep it going :)

New Girl, sounds like you are doing very well on that program!  Nice that your husband comes along with you - always helps to have some company.  I jog/walk with three other girls, so lots of conversation to keep us from getting too bored ;D

Kay!  You get the Gold Star this month!  You are a better woman than me :o

We are hitting the above 100 temps here in Atl today and this weekend - my husband & I have a tennis match in it tomorrow - surely I'll sweat off a pound or two 8)

Keep cool out there, everyone, and have a good weekend,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1283 on: July 06, 2012, 07:50:24 pm »
I am serving as counselor for my son's physical fitness merit badge (his last required badge for Eagle Scout) so we are going to the gym together 3-4 times a week this summer. It's as good a reason as any to get me there.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #1284 on: July 06, 2012, 09:04:56 pm »
Great Sarah!!

Unfortunately, the long hours at camp, standing, really took a toll on my foot. I didn't take my Stretch Step thing (even tho I meant to) & so it just got worse & worse as the week progressed. If you know me at all, you know that I don't let a little thing like that stop me - even when it's not the best thing for me! I rested it a couple of days and thought it was better & tried to go walking Thursday. I only walked & only went 2 miles but had LOTS of trouble walking the rest of the day. Bummer - I feel like such a lazy bum! Guess it is only the exercise bike for me for a while...Oh well, this too shall pass!!

Soundy-
What do you think?

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #1285 on: July 09, 2012, 05:35:35 pm »
Kaybo ... I think I like it ...

not that I have used it much ... since last post I have did GS Day Camp and felt rough all week ... came home
Friday after packing up and slept though from 6PM til 6 AM  Saturday , got up and emptied truck and took girls to
their softball teams end of season picnic ... got home around 4 and slept through til about 7am Sunday ...got up
and went to church ...

Monday I honestly don't remember except for swimming at a friends from 4til 7 PM when I went to
feed her dog and check mail and water garden  ( she was Vacating) and I got stung my a wasp on my side when I got
out of pool ...

Tuesday around 2AM I got up sick as a dog and pretty much spent from then until Thursday in bed or recliner ...every joint
I have hurt , muscles weak and nauseated ... girls kept me in water , Sprite and Gatorade ...blood work came back positive
for lymes ...

Lets just say I have not gotten in much by way of exercise besides my fingers which I have snapped at girls alot  ;D ... doctor
said to stay cool and out of the sun for another week at least ... I got out in garden with a flashlight last night and got winded
tying up beans ... so now I am in drill sergeant mode and doing as little as possible ... muscles are still weak and I swear that
I have grown new joints for the purpose of just hurting ... lymes by itself or what the what my doctor said was a heat stroke
due to amount of dehydration and kidney involvement , and not heat exhausting ...either one would have been enough...
he said expect to feel rotten for several weeks due to the combining of the two ...I'm just lucky like that I guess

I was so sick that I didn't realize until Friday that Monday was my anniversary of Bennie's eviction
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #1286 on: July 17, 2012, 04:56:39 am »
walked over to barn yesterday around 5 and helped round up nd sort calves to take to market... probably totaled about a mile of movement in all ... some when we had 22 calves in holding pen and I was cutting the 7 going to market out of the group was fast jerky movement and I did it without falling ... wore me out ...

guess I am getting old ... things take me longer to get over than they used to ...

working on stretchingh tendons in ankle with Kaybo's recommended gadget and it is helping ... Hannah is also using it to stretch herself ... band director just shakes his head at her tippy toe marching ... I told him about it before he took her on in marching band and he said he could correct it ... if Vanderbilt hospital couldn't correct it with therapy , braces and injections ... I don't know what  he thought he could do ... she does OK and keeps up she is just on her toes instead of flat footed ... he said in competitions he may have her ride on gator wagon with pit instuments because judges look at every detail and her stance could cost them competitions...

hoping to get back into a routine of walking and just moving more in the next week or so ... take care and keep moving
Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1287 on: July 18, 2012, 09:40:55 am »
One of my nephews had the tippy toe walk.

He went to Shriners and they solved the problem.  He had to wear some type of plastic braces for a time and I think he had a minor surgery.  Not exactly sure of the specifics, but whatever they did it worked.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jill Marie

« Reply #1288 on: July 19, 2012, 10:43:52 pm »
Jan,

Glad to hear the Shriners were able to help your nephew.  We have a Shriners Hospital here and it's always so good to hear about all the things they do for the kids.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Soundy

« Reply #1289 on: July 28, 2012, 11:41:04 am »

just finished a week of full band camp helping out ... girls are worn out ...I'm worn out  ... it ran from 7 am til 9 pm ... march to field in morning and learn drill then march back to school for lunch and sectionals ..eat dinner around 6:00 … then march back to field to drill again and a final march back to school for dismissal ...we had 4 sent to hospital for heat related issues ... tough week ... and band director is gonna leave Hannah out on field

Hannah needs tendon surgery to correct her tippy toe walk and knee surgery to remove her knee cap or shave it down ... they are both too big to seat in joint as they should ... or we can leave things as is ... only worry is that they will worsen as she gets older ...one pops out from time to time sending her to ground ...need to check with shiners ... our insurance will cover room charge and some costs but our estimated bill stood at around $40,000 3 years ago to do what they wanted to do ... she doesn't want to be cut on and we can't afford it

I lost 5 pounds this week helping run camp ...wish I had my pedometer on ... did alot of walking ... we were getting up at 4:30 to get ready and out the door to get to school by 5:45 to start cooking breakfast ...made for a long long day ... they have a concert Tuesday night ... over half are rookie marchers including my two ... it amazes me at how much all the kids learned this week ... the basic steps , the music and the drill ...

Wednesday I had a severe headache ... sat quietly in the dark , the living room of the home ec building trying to ignore it and let Tylenol work ... may have worked if people would have not kept disturbing me to ask if I was OK ... finally had to resort to hydro-codone and got enough relief to help make and serve lunch but didn't go to practice field until around 8 to watch ... I think it was the heat , the noise , all the movement around me ... who knows ... and since then my right eye (AN side) has been running ...every few minutes a tear just runs down my face ...irritating and had people asking questions ...

once an explanation was given by my youngest daughter , many thought I should maybe not be there at all ... there were a dozen or so adults that I know and the kids that come from Minor Hill , and they all know my history …but it isn't like my medical history is something I broadcast to the general public ... And I have no intention of letting a few people keep me from living …interacting and seeing my own and all the other kids grow and develop is active  living…sitting on sidelines is passive living …I intend to be active as long as I can…just a little mad at comments that were made to me by a very small number of people … a friend  said I need to tell Sarah to not talk about it …  but something was asked of her and she answered … I don’t want her to feel like she can’t offer an honest answer… grrrrrrrrrrrrr … just a little rant … other than that the week was fun even though exhausting
Translab July 2 ,2007