Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 434651 times)

moe

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #900 on: May 17, 2011, 09:42:12 am »
WELL SARA THAT'S ONE STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! ;D
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

kraynok2

« Reply #901 on: May 17, 2011, 10:22:00 am »
Kay
  Thanks for the information.  I haven't had any balance problems, once in a while a tiny bit when I turn, but nothing major.  I'm still deciding what kind of shoe to get.  I had a really good pair years ago that I bought in Boston when I was at a convention.  I may look up that website.
Sandy

Kaybo

« Reply #902 on: May 17, 2011, 10:23:05 am »
Just went for my walk - made myself go even farther than yesterday!!  Addi was surprised when I told her how far I walked yesterday!!   ;)  Feels so good to be in the sunshine.  Once I get the RELEASE, I think I might try running though.  HOWEVER, at this point, I think it would just jar everything around in there...hope it is not always that way!  Really wonder if she will let me go full throttle next week anyway... ???  At least I am doing something!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #903 on: May 17, 2011, 02:40:29 pm »
Um-m-m-m..Ms. Kaybo, I am not in favor of your bouncing around your innards until you are sure nothing will spring a leak!  Just walk VERY briskly!  :D

Priscilla

Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #904 on: May 17, 2011, 04:11:36 pm »
had another round of someones revenge that put me flat on my back or sittinjg in bathroom for 5 days ... did lose 8 pounds but don't recomend this way of peeling off pounds ...

have spent last week trying to get back to normal so haven't been real active..

still have not heard from missing family ... I called the post office for the small community where she lived and they said they couldn't tell me anything due to privacy issues ,but that if I mailed her a letter she would pick it up... then said send her one ... I think she was saying that she was OK becasue she was so insistant that she would pick it up ...sowe have sent letters and hoping
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jill Marie

« Reply #905 on: May 17, 2011, 11:31:08 pm »
WOW this is one active thread, lots of good info. and encouragement for all!

Clarice - Please remember what they taught us in school, WALK DON'T RUN.  So good to hear that you are able to go out and enjoy the flowers and fresh air.  There will be plenty of time for kicking it up a notch when you have healed from your surgery.  I will not encourage/nag you tell you have had plenty of time to recuperate.  Please note that one only sees it as nagging if one feels they should be doing it but have failed to do so.   :D

Kay - Can't believe you are already walking a mile and a half, the woman I work with had a similar surgery(not the same problems afterwards) a couple of years ago and she couldn't walk around the block by this time.  I totally agree with you, we don't nag and I only drill sargeant when forced into it, so don't make me!

Keri - Yep, packing for Afghanistan takes way longer then baking the goodies, and 10 times longer than it will take Scott and his buddies to eat them.  Thanks for the apple peel tip.  When I packed brownies I put them in individual Ziploc baggies, then in freezer pint size Ziploc bags and put bubble wrap between the layers.  My son said they always arrive just fine.  I'm sure you know about the flat rate boxes the post office supplies with a discount when sent to Military addresses.  If your son loves brownies you might want to try the ones my son loves.  Betty Crocker use to have a German Brownie mix, it got discontinued so I came up with this.  Layer 2/3 of the brownie mix in the pan then drop spoonfuls of coconut/pecan frosting on it, then the rest of the brownie mix, take a knife and cut through the layers to mix them a bit, then bake 5 or so minutes longer then usual.

I don't worry about riding my bike to the store since my Hubby always goes with and wears the backpack and has the carrier on his bike, he, he!

Phylis - Yea for the 3k.  It always helps to know you have a cheering section with you even if you can't hear them!

Sara - Glad to hear you finally got the shoes, nothing like a new pair of shoes to make you go workout.  I agree with you on the New Balance shoes, that's about all I buy anymore.

Cheryl - Thanks for the shoe info. will check into them.  Any idea if any of them are American made, I like New Balance for the width and they use to be all made in the USA, now some still are.

Sandy - There's no I might do the Strawberry Festival next year, YOU WILL DO THE STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL!  A month before my surgery I broke my leg/ankle so as I sat in my living room looking outside at the green grass that I couldn't walk in.  I decided to walk Bloomsday the next May for the first time in my life.  The Bloomsday Race is the biggest timed road race in the world.  I enjoyed every minute of the race just as you will enjoy the Strawberry Festival.

Priscilla - Oh how I miss going on trips with the school kids, bet you had a great time.  What did you see and do?  Isn't it amazing how far you can walk when your sight seeing and not just walking for exercise?  Hope your legs are feeling better.

Soundy -  Sorry to hear you've been so sick, hopefully that's the end of it for quite some time.  You deserve a break from being sick.  Hope you hear back from the relatives soon.

My exercise today was finishing planting the garden, started it Sunday but had to stop because of the rain.  I know this is long but it's not my fault, I had lots of posts to respond to.  Have a great week, Jill 8) 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #906 on: May 18, 2011, 05:27:47 am »
I took a little over a mile walk this morning ... it is only 43* ...perfect walking temp... between 35 and 50 I walk my best ... I warm up without over heating ...

need to start getting up another 30 minutes early to get a little more walking in ... ...this morning left with an hour before the girls need to get up and walked 30 minutes and turned around ... we have measured the back roads and have 1 , 3 and 5 mile marks  to measure by ... I would walked more distance if not for the varmints along the way ... we have a mink right down the road that I call Priscilla ... we have seen her sitting on a stump always peeking around or cleaning her face ... this morning she had 3 tiny versions of herself picking the water snails out of the shallows of the creek ... escargot for breakfast ... also saw a blue million squirrels , a coyote and 2 flocks of  turkey ... and I had to freeze and watch whoever didn't run off immediately and watching means I am not walking ....I need to leave my camera in the truck over night so it will be cold ... I took it with me  but with it being house temp , it fogged the lens and I couldn't take any pictures ... just got various colored blobs ...

I hope I don't get the bug again... twice has been plenty ... I figure that when school gets out and I am not around germy little kids I will be well til fall when I am around them in masses again ... 7th and 8th grade were suppose to have finals this week but they put them off til next week due to high absentees due to stomach bug ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Cheryl R

« Reply #907 on: May 18, 2011, 06:36:09 am »
Jill Marie,     Just looked and the 3 pair I looked at are made in China.   Frustrating!    Maybe someone has heard of any American made ones.            I have seen that LL Bean has New Balance and now free shipping to all orders.            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

cindyj

« Reply #908 on: May 18, 2011, 08:44:49 am »
Great to see so many of you checking in here and keeping us all updated...I must say, especially our two recent post surgery girls, Kaybo and Miss Clarice!  Take it easy you two, but good to see you're moving!  Clarice, that is a long trek from Seton to St. Vincent's over to House!  You are just doing amazing!  So glad ;D

Been at the beach since Sat (brrrr, but beautiful!), prior to that, I was hit with a number of migraines, so been very slack on the exercise thing...did finally go out for a brisk two mile walk this morning - good to get back out, but not near enough!  I must nag, encourage, yell, etc at myself to do more in the next few days!  Am finally going to that Tai Chi class tom morning - looking forward to it.

Jill, no, my husband was not in the military, but this Amer Legion has one side in which non-members are allowed - happens to be the side with a HUGE ballroom floor!  Such fun!

Got to go unpack, start the laundry, pay the bills ::) - back to reality - talk w/ you all later!

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Cheryl R

« Reply #910 on: May 18, 2011, 03:28:56 pm »
Thanks Saralynn!     Good to know.      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Keri

« Reply #911 on: May 20, 2011, 08:51:27 am »
wow, jill, thanks for keeping up with everything everyone is doing.

i'm glad to see clarice and kay... take it easy; walking's good. clarice, how is your husband doing? we were a little concerned for his health just a few weeks ago.

regarding shoes: i agree with sara, if you're even thinking about running, however slowly, you need a GOOD pair of running shoes. a running store should have staff on hand to fit you properly and help you get the right shoe for your foot, your stride and your purposes. good shoes are so key in helping to prevent shin splints and other problems like that.

Priscilla - where did y'all go / stay in DC? that's my neck of the woods. I do a lot of running / biking down there (though i live in MD just right outside of the district). I hope the weather was good and there were lovely flowers blooming!

if anyone needs motivation to get or keep moving, now that it's spring/summer, there's many 5k's. you can walk/run them if you don't feel like running the whole thing. but SIGN UP. that makes you train (believe me, this is the only thing that keeps me running... i keep signing up for stuff).

have a good weekend! i'm hoping to get in a long bike ride tomorrow. i have my autistic daughter in a 5 hour respite program for the day, so i can bike a while. i also need to run long too, but i like biking better, running is more of an obligation! (but it helps me be a better biker and vice versa).

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jill Marie

« Reply #912 on: May 20, 2011, 09:07:16 pm »
YEA IT'S FRIDAY!!!

Soundy- Good to hear you're out and about again.  I would love taking your walks, great description of the minks, I could picture them as I read your post, the critters sure make the walks enjoyable.  We see bunny rabbits, marmots and an occasional coyote.

Cheryl - Thanks for checking the shoes, I know it's hard to find American Made ones so If someone comes across some I like to check them out.  My husband lost his job of 24 years when the plant closed do to foreign competition so we buy American when we can.  Will check LL Bean as I'm due for some new shoes.

Sara - Thanks for the American Made shoe link, Hubby is checking it out so I can get a new pair of summer biking/walking shoes.

Cindy - How was the Tai Chi class?  Glad to hear the Legion lets non-members in too, especially with a nice dance floor to enjoy!

Keri - Hope you enjoy the nice long bike ride, it's good to get out and ride like the wind!

I did really good this week until tonight. I had to work late then our new manager and I discussed business for a while, changes that will hopefully give me more time to ride my bike and also changes that will let me enjoy my job more so I feel more like exercising then sitting and eating goodies.  Walked the dogs for 20 minutes every night and Wednesday & Thursday rode my bike 40 minutes.  Rode even though I was tired, felt better after the ride then before and talk about sleeping good.  I love it when the alarm clock wakes me up from a very sound sleep!  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!  Jill :) :D

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #913 on: May 21, 2011, 03:12:51 am »
I started the week off really well...I walked at least 1.5 miles both Monday & Tuesday....& then my world was rocked again...While my mom was in Houston, taking care of my from surgery, she found a lump, but didn't tell anyone. Since then, she has been diagnosed with a very aggressive form of breast cancer. Tuesday about noon, I found out that my mom was scheduled for surgery on Friday & had a consultation Wednesday morning. By Tuesday night, I was sitting in Mom's living room - I'd hastily bought a ticket, showered & packed (all between 3:30 & 6) also picked up girls from 2 schools & taken little ones to Brownies - coming home between each trip!  I'm sitting in a hospital room in tbe middle of the night as I type this. Although we got good reports from the scans Thursday & the surgery went well yesterday, I think we still have a long road before us. I did pack my walking clothes so hope to get some exercise in - have done LOTS of walking to appointments and thru hospitals. Thank goodness I was able to get some of my strength back before this week started.

Most of you know this thru FB or texts but I thought it ok to share here. I believe strongly in the power of prayer and ask now that you will join us in praying for my sweet, little mama!

:-[
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #914 on: May 21, 2011, 10:14:28 am »
shhhhhhhh

Finally made it the gym this morning.  Am hoping I'm on a roll.

May thanks to those of you who actually have the motivation to follow a routine; you are a huge inspiration.

I hope to join your ranks very soon.

Keeping my fingers crossed,

Jan

Am keeping mom in my prayers, Kay.  God Bless!
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways