Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 434638 times)

Keri

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #930 on: May 27, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »
so glad that clarice and kay are walking so much post surgery. i'm glad you're not doing 'more' at this point. sounds great. except for dodging kids on hot wheels!

ok, i just put this on my facebook page but i really need accountability... got to get up and go run at 7:00. shooting for 12 miles.
unless i have some kid issue (i.e., no sleep because of some 'crisis' ) then i should get up!!!
so you all can yell at me if i don't.  thank you.

have a great weekend!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #931 on: May 28, 2011, 07:33:49 am »
Keri, it's 9:30...are you about done w/ your run?  Going to be hot if you haven't started yet, but you know you must do it >:D  We're waiting ;D

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #932 on: May 28, 2011, 07:40:47 am »
Texted Keri & she's in middle of run - says it's hot!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #933 on: May 28, 2011, 10:46:36 am »
Wow, great to see this thread still has legs (pun intended) ;). Very proud of all you guys staying after it.

Just got back from a 50 mile bike ride....feels like the middle of summer here already. We always do a loop route.....it's fun riding with the wind, but no so much right into it. I'm training now for the Hotter 'n Hell 100. This is a pretty famous 100 mile bike ride that is held in north Texas (Wichita Falls) every year in late August. Those that know Texas can understand where the ride got its name.

I always do better staying active if I've got something to train for. Still running 2 or 3 times a week too as I don't want to start from scratch for marathon training in the fall.

Hmmm, Keri's going 12 miles.....sounds like the long run at the beginning of marathon training, but can't imagine doing a full marathon in the summer heat. Is this training for something Keri? I'm going to try to force myself to do a simiilar run tommorrow morning.

Keep it up everybody.....be active and stay safe.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Keri

« Reply #934 on: May 28, 2011, 12:20:18 pm »
kay did check up on me! i texted back during a walk break... i had many walk breaks! i think i did 11, maybe 10 miles; felt like 20. i went out at 8:30 and, wow, it sure seemed hot (just not quite texas hot).

patrick - sounds like a great race ! i guess i am at the beginning of marathon training (groan....) starts in 3 weeks. we're supposed to be up to a 14 miler by then. am probably close to that. are you doing houston again? i'm doing marine corps in october. i'm still loving biking, although i have yet to do a really long ride.

what's everyone up to this weekend? my husband is AT THE BEACH and i'm about to go clean house, do laundry,  and nag my teenage daughter to get caught up on all her school work. hmm.. what's wrong with that picture!!?

have a great weekend, everyone!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jeanlea

« Reply #935 on: May 28, 2011, 08:41:01 pm »
Good to see that everyone is still exercising. 12 mile runs, 100 mile bike rides...wow! I've stopped running for awhile and have been doing longer and faster walks. Did 5 miles one day, 6 miles another day. Today my daughter made me go with her to a 5K run. I ran most of it. It was a beautiful cross country course. We started out on blacktop, then onto a mowed path on a field which was still wet from the rain that stopped just before the race began. After that there was a short stretch of blacktop before going back into the fields and then the woods...which had no grass...which meant a lot of mud! I walked that part. Didn't want to the person who fell in the mud and needed to be rescued. That was at mile 2. The rest of the course went by quickly and my running was getting better. I even sprinted to the finish to pass a couple of runners. Now I want to get back to running more.

Coming here keeps me motivated to keep moving. Thanks.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Keri

« Reply #936 on: May 28, 2011, 08:56:25 pm »
good for you, jean! i kind of like mud, but not too much (like where your shoes would get stuck in it). i like running or biking on dirt trails.

today i finished the day with a bike ride through Rock Creek, DC's version of Central Park (but longer and skinnier). It was so nice. I biked down to the zoo, but didn't really check out any animals, just stayed by the creek.

keri
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #937 on: May 30, 2011, 03:04:53 pm »
we took a ride back in the hollow to check fences and we  took the puppy .... the girls ran her little legs off ... she made the ride home laying on my chest with her head on my shoulder sound asleep ... right now that is fine but if she gets as big as I figure she will , she is not sitting in my lap ...

have been off the exercise  wagon for most part ... did go to the Parthenon in Nashville Friday with 6th grade ... we made 2 laps around the lake while waiting for our tour to begin ... we left with 47 kids and came back with the same 47 so I guess you can say it was a good trip

been doing alot laps on my butt in the hay truck ... this has got to be the most boring farm job there is ... every few 10 minutes or so I move the truck to sit between round bales as husband loads ... loading square bales is no more active really but at least not "put me to sleep" boring since you circle the field at about 2 miles per hour ... some things we do like rounding up  calves yesterday for the Tuesday sale are labor intensive and actually perk me up while at same time wearing me out ... but that is much better than getting worn out doing nothing ... tried walking away from truck and back to it between moves but the stubbled field is a trip hazard

I told the girls that after Wednesday (last day of school) I am gonna roll them out and make the walk with me in the mornings .... the groaned
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Keri

« Reply #938 on: June 01, 2011, 07:58:38 am »
For whatever it's worth.. TODAY, June 1st is NATIONAL RUNNING DAY!!
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #939 on: June 01, 2011, 08:08:58 am »
I walked yesterday but can't today...Hope I am FINALLY being released from Dr from MY surgery and then I have Emee's awards ceremony.  Getting girlies and then have Swim Practice where I have to work a booth.  have hit the ground running here...you should heard yesterday's schedule (I put 46 miles on my car AFTER 5:30 pm)!  I am determined to work in a pedi today, though...I get one on the 1st day of school each year (b/c I'm sad that I don't have the girlies with me all day anymore - yep, I'm one of those mom's that LOVES having my kids home with me in the summer!) and the last day I can before summer.  It is TOO EXPENSIVE to go get one for all 4 of us!!

Incidentally, I have been walking 2 miles instead of one!!   ;)

Happy Day!
;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #940 on: June 02, 2011, 08:16:28 am »
Stella , my new walking companion is in trouble ... she chewed phone cord and have been net and phone free since my last post here  >:(
she will walk around the yard of field for a little bit and then flops down and wants to be carried ... I ignore her but girls pick her up ... she is growing at an alarming rate ...have not had her a full 2 weeks and can see her grow daily ... if she gets big enough maybe I can get a saddle for her and ride her when I get tired ...Bo says she is to little to learn to walk on a leash ... I want to get her manners down so she doesn't trip me or knock me down the steps ... my mom has a dog that tried to beat anyone going up or down the stairs to the top or bottom ... not that she needs to go up the stairs she has just made a game of it

walked 2 miles this morning ... no puppy or kids ...just me and a few birds ...did meet my husband on his way out to work as I was coming home

lets do some house work and then go take puppy to get shots ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kaybo

« Reply #941 on: June 02, 2011, 07:12:20 pm »
Had my walking clothes on all day but never got my walk in....then got more bad news about Mom when I was at swim practice with girlies...came home and went and walked a few miles...and just cried...

K   :'(
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #942 on: June 02, 2011, 08:51:28 pm »
Kay, I am so sorry. It's okay that your priority not be exercising right now - do what you need to do for your mom. Keeping all of you in my prayers.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #943 on: June 02, 2011, 09:34:48 pm »
Actually, I'll probably walk more - just need to be sweating, by myself, sun & fresh air!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #944 on: June 02, 2011, 11:39:16 pm »
Hi Kay,

So sorry to hear that you got more bad news about your Mom, that's always rough then when you add onto it that she was just there taking care of you, I know it must really get to you.  Yes, walking is good, gives you time to think by yourself, to cry when you need to and it also of course makes you tired so you can hopefully get some sleep.  Exercise & sleep are good so you can find the strength to be there for your Mom in any way you can.  Take Care and let us know how it's going, when you feel up to talking about it.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.