Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 434637 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #945 on: June 03, 2011, 12:41:17 pm »
Got in an early morning walk ... alone ... the girls have to walk at school in BCBS's Walking Works program and logged in at least two miles a week on top of all the walking they do getting around school ... our school has been added on to 2 times and is long and spread out ... you just get alot of walking in the course of the day ... they said they have the summer off ...

heading out to pay bills and then to the mall to look for decent swim suits ... the ones at Walmart that are right size are too skimpy ...even my girls said so ... told them to jump in pool with tanks and shorts ... got rolling eyes ...I hate walking in malls ... air is stale and too many people ... gonna stop at Kohls and Target before getting to Mall hoping to find something and skip th Mall all together ... but figure I will get walking in finding something

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

« Reply #946 on: June 05, 2011, 02:26:12 pm »
Hi Ho Hi Ho is creek wading we will go ...

going walking up and down a creek with youth life group from church ... we are gonna clean up banks and get wet ... I bought some skid proof water shoes but figure I will fall anyway ... water is about knee deep ... alot of places are limestone and look like concrete ... slippery as all get out ...walking in water gives legs a good work out as you fight against the water resistance ... we had  a rain shower just pass over but sun is coming back out ... lets go do water aerobics , country style
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #947 on: June 06, 2011, 09:40:11 am »
well I didn't fall and was only wet to just above knees ... all the kids were head to toe wet ... and the creek was up a bit and there were places that it would have been waist deep on me if I had waded out ... walking in the creek would be good vestibular training ... between slippery bottom and the ripples playing with my eyes I was constantly readjusting and my arms wind milling to keep up right ... legs are tired ... I am taking that as a good thing ... they got a work out
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #948 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:01 am »
How's everyone doing??

Addi & I just walked/jogged about 3 miles...Addi was good until the end when it was SUPER HOT (record 105 yesterday!).  Working on my tan while exercising!  Still need to do some exercises!  Of course, Addi had already done swim team practice for 45 minutes and exercises BEFORE we walked!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #949 on: June 09, 2011, 11:04:55 am »

soundy - any word on your half sister's grandma? my half sister lives in alabama. they are in a trailor park. they had so many tornadoes go north and south of them. scary, scary stuff.

keri

Good News on missing family members ... they have been with friends in southern Alabama ... their house which looked like it was gone only had some roof damage and about 20 trees in yard , some 100 feet tall are gone ... they were in storm shelter when it hit ... a neighbors triler was picked up and mangled and set down in her yard... this is what we saw and was reported as the property being a total loss ... talked to her for about an hour and she is in fairly good spirits ... her yard is still piled with tree debris ... going to see if I can catch my sons on a day they aren't working and go clean up some ... her son stayed a week trying to clean up for her but was not able to get off work and was driving 100 miles one way twice a day ... he managed to clear the drive way and walk way ... She has no insurance and a church pitched in to fix her roof ,,, strangers hauled off what her son managed to cut up and drag into a pile … she is sad about her trees … her once wooded lot has become cleared … if I can find some extra money may see if we can get her an oak tree …it won’t replace the huge ones she lost but can give her a symbol of a new start … she is depressed but says she will get better as soon as her yard doesn’t look like a war zone … she is thankful that all she lost were trees and shingles off roof …
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #950 on: June 09, 2011, 11:36:55 am »
Glad you found & got to talk to her!!

Been walking everyday...& finally getting some of "glow" back too...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #951 on: June 10, 2011, 09:57:06 pm »
Jill finally reporting in!

Jan - Love your new exercise plan, nice variety and sounds like something that you can work with, how many days past 3 are you?

Keri - Wow, didn't think your Mom was 80, in other words you don't look like someone that would have an 80 year old mom.   Glad to hear your Mom is doing better now, better for both of you.  I understand your Mom keeping going despite the illness, my Mom did what she could.  Bet they had no idea that they would be such great role models for us when we had our medical issues.  Yes it was tough sometimes taking care of Mom growing up but it sounds like you know what that's like too.  Tons of great times together and learned a lot about compassion for others. 

Cindy - Sorry to hear the Tai Chi class got cancelled, sounds like it would be great for you and several others on the board, to bad they don't live closer so you could all do the next class together.  It's Friday night, hope you're out dancing!

Clarice - Good to hear that you're enjoying your park walks, understand the little ones making you nervous, perhaps you can find a time when the parks a little quieter tell you get your bearings back.

Pat - Good to hear from you, how do you find the time to do such long rides.  I can't seem to find the time for a half hour ride, I know, I must make time!  Please let us know when you do the August ride so we can cheer you on.

Jean -  Glad to hear we keep you motivated, sounds like your daughter does as well.  Can't imagine running a 5k, glad you enjoyed it.

Soundy -  Looks like Stella is going to be a handful.  Luckily you have the girls to wear her out.  Great idea on getting the girls up to walk during the summer, they will grumble but once you get them going they will be glad you got them up and going so they can enjoy the summer.  Glad to hear your family is ok, isn't it great what people do for one another even though they don't know each other.

Kay - Way to go on the 3 miles with Addi, especially in that heat.  We must be the only part of the country that isn't hot!

My plan to be in shape for vacation has failed, only 1 week to get ready for 15 to 30  mile rides.  Been working overtime at work and helping our son get packed up to go back in the Army.  He left Monday so I thought I would get back to riding the bike but that didn't happen.  Hoping to get a lot of things done this weekend to get ready to go so I can ride after work next week.  Just don't want to be so sore I don't enjoy the ride.  No regrets as I wouldn't trade the time I spent with my son this past week for anything.  I have been walking the dogs after work and took a couple quick rides so there's still hope.  Have a great weekend, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Keri

« Reply #952 on: June 12, 2011, 08:56:39 pm »
hello,
kay.. good for you and your walking.

soundy - so thankful you found your family members, what a relief. although it sounds as if things will be tough for a while.

jill marie - where do you go on vacation that you do all the biking? i know you said last year, but i don't remember.

i was gone a week with my family. we went to utah. we were going to head up to yellowstone / grand teton, but instead headed south to moab (better weather) and went to arches natl park and canyonlands. my husband and i could of spent the whole time hiking, biking, running, rafting. the girls were not quite so energetic! we went on a coupld of late afternoon runs on a single track mountain biking trail on a mountain behind our hotel. that was beautiful but YIKES scary! i though i was going to fall off the side of the mountatin running; can't even imagine doing that on a bike. but it was so different. really enjoyed. i really wanted to bike - that whole town caters to cyclists - road and mountain bikers. maybe next time...

i have a 10 mile 'race' this saturday. i really need to get in some running this week and a longish run early in the week, like by tuesday.

what's everyone up to?
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jill Marie

« Reply #953 on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:13 pm »
Hi Keri

I've never heard of the Arches National Park & Canyonlands, will have to check it out.  Will probably stay away from the scary part though, might be willing t walk it.  Your kids are the opposite of mine,  I would be the one saying no more hiking or biking.  Glad you got away and had a good time.  Good luck on your run Saturday, won't be around to cheer you on, will be on vacation by then.  For now though I can tell you to make sure and get out on that long run if you didn't already do it today.

Hubby and I are going to ride the Coeur d' Alene Trail in Idaho.  It's a paved trail that follows an old Union Pacific railroad line, it's 71 miles long.  It goes from just east of the Washington border to just west of the Montana border.  It follows a river & goes over a bridge on Lake Coeur d' Alene so the scenery is really beautiful.  We rode part of it last year, will do what we can next week.  There are also some rides you can take just off the trail which we plan to do.  There is one that is a 15 mile loop around a lake so you don't have to back track.  Hubby made a cart to go behind his bike so we can ride to the store for supplies.  We're also going to Geo-cache via the bikes and of course walking the dogs.  Ok, it's been said if you put it on the net you have to do it so here goes.  I'm not a morning person, Hubby is.  My plan is to wake up early and suggest a morning ride where we ride as the sun comes up so we can take pictures, a long nap will follow.   In the evening we are going to watch the best of Dean Martin DVD's.  I'm not a Dean Martin fan but love the guests he had on his show, Bob Hope, Jimmy Stewart,etc.  Should be fun!  Jill :D
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #954 on: June 13, 2011, 09:19:01 pm »
Laura had early basketball practice this morning, so I took the opportunity to go to the gym. Fifteen minutes into my workout there was a hailstorm and it dimpled my almost-new Subie. Can you believe it? If I had been a lazy lie-abed my car would have been safely tucked into the garage! BUMMER!
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #955 on: June 13, 2011, 09:30:01 pm »
OH Sara, I'm so sorry!!  Insurance??

I walked again today and I must say that I RAN farther and more than I ever have (this go around - I know I ran farther when I was younger)...maybe one of these days I will be up to a WHOLE MILE at once!!  How do y'all do these long runs!!!   ???

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #956 on: June 13, 2011, 10:05:34 pm »
Go Kaybo! Have you ever looked into the Couch to 5K program? You might find it helpful. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I have a call into the insurance company. They left a message while I was teaching a class at International Camp so I will have to get back with them tomorrow. I'm betting the damage will come in just under my deductible. But as my husband pointed out today, that would just be another car payment (we just paid off the Subie last month).
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Keri

« Reply #957 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:21 pm »
Aww, Sara, sorry about your car.

Kay - good for you! Don't worry if you run/walk/run or even walk/run/walk. There's plenty of people who do long distances that way (myself included). Sometimes that's the only way to get through it. If you're running in TX heat, make sure you're drinking water or gatorade (if you go out long, do gatorade).

Jill Marie - that biking trip sounds great/perfect/beautiful !!! i would love to do that; can i come along!? I may pass on the Dean Martin videos though, I remember when that show was on!

OK - since I've been back home I've been a bum and haven't done anything but open mail and unpack and try to catch up on work! Wanted to bike today but didn't get around to it.
My 10 miler this saturday isn't going to happen; a friend at church died and i'll be playing piano at her funeral. Sad, she was so sweet, but she was suffering a lot and that was hard to see.

I've joined a marathon training program (3rd year). By this saturday i'm supposed to be up to a 14 miler; don't know if I will be. These people (a pretty big group) -  some are sooo fast. Some are really crazy and do 50 and 100 mile 'races' and ironman triathlons. I just stay at the 'back of the pack' (i'm probably the slowest runner in the group). And a marathon is quite enough for me. Our pace group has a saying "slow still gets you there." Just takes a lot longer.

The weather is finally really nice here. We'll see how long that lasts. I really need to get out and run tomorrow.....
Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #958 on: June 14, 2011, 07:58:35 am »

Not knowing where they were was rough…. She didn’t have her address book with her and so didn’t call . As a whole the area I live in is built of caring people …. I could not believe the amount of cleaning supplies , personal hygiene items like washrags , towels , hand sanitizer , soap , shampoo , diapers , baby wipes , diaper rash cream , tooth brushes and tooth paste etc etc that  we collected at church …. This is what we were asked to collect by disaster relief in Athens  Alabama …. They were being swamped with tons of clothing dumped on them  but had little of essential daily need items…. We expected to a van load .. They took the seats out of a 15 passenger van used to pick up people on Sunday … it filled up quickly with the bags we packed … we had men , women , child and baby bags made up … we had to borrow a U-Haul type trailer to get the bags and cases of water delivered …

Sorry to hear about your dimples car … my truck got pelted about a month ago and is dimpled … but at 15 years old it and 265,000 miles it would cost more to removed the dimples that the truck is worth

I think I have found a good match with Stella … She is my constant companion … she is always at my feet to the point she is a trip hazard…. Something we are working on … She is laying on my feet as I type…. I have been walking her from about 5 -5:30... Get up with husband who leaves at 6:45 ….While he is getting ready we walk around the yard and across  the hay field… . She is taking to the leash well and is smart and obedient…more so than I expected . …. Sits on voice and hand command …we are  working on stay …She does get distracted by things that move … cats , cows , mule , donkeys … she is taller at the shoulders than Scruffy our wire hair terrier / wiener dog cross rescued from puppy mill … he use to pounce her… now roles have switched and she pounces him and stands on top of him , head held high like she has conquered Everest …… the fuzzy 3 pound pup we brought home weighs in at 12 pounds …this scares me …she is only 8 ½ weeks old …I think that she disguised herself as a runt to trick some gullible person into taking her home and is now showing her St Bernard ancestry … she needs a bath … Bo mowed the grass yesterday and she rolled in it on our walk this morning and she has turned green

I think she will make a good walking companion when she gets a little older … gonna let her get a bit older before taking her off down the road alone … she gets tired and just flops down and  lays flat on her belly until someone picks her up … don’t want to be a mile away from home and have to carry a whining baby  over my shoulder …

I have dropped 5 more pounds over last 3 weeks and my pants are slipping down as I walk… this is annoying … got some of those button things at Walmart ( as seen on TV) that you put on waist band to tighten pants up that are too big … it worked great until the back came off and I ended up with a puncture wound to the belly … gonna have to take jeans up I guess … with my yo-yoing , I am down 18 pounds from beginning weight …hoped to be at a 30 pound loss by now … but will take what I have got since it is not a gain
Translab July 2 ,2007

cindyj

« Reply #959 on: June 14, 2011, 12:55:19 pm »
Hi, all!  I've fallen off the exercise wagon...and can't seem to get back on it...glad to see you guys are all doing so well, though!  My excuse is looking for a house - been looking for many months, but search has heated up as we have rented our house to a family who will be moving in here in about six weeks!  So, really trying to figure things out now...this is supposed to be a buyer's market, so you'd think this would be easy, but we have been having terrible luck w/ being out bid over and over again!  Anyway, I must get back to a routine soon - I'm very ashamed of myself  :-\  Have played some tennis and still dancing every Friday, but that's not the same...lots of fun, though ;D

Don't have enough time to "speak" to all of you, but will get back here for more as soon as I can.  Keep on burning those calories in whatever way suits you best :D

cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings