Author Topic: question about BP 100, still problems with implant...  (Read 4268 times)

mellowrama

question about BP 100, still problems with implant...
« on: January 26, 2010, 08:30:47 pm »
hello all, I got my new BAHA on the 12th, it wasn't the aha baha moment I was hoping for but I figure it is more than likely an adjustment period and maybe my expectations too high.

I have not had the device adjusted at all since day 1.  It seems like I still can't hear things loud enough, but when I turn it up too much background noise and feedback.  My audiologist mentioned to me that when you're in loud place it also amplifies the noises...which is where I was hoping it would be the biggest help.

All my docs are out of state so I won't be seeing them unless a well planned trip, but already planning one in 2 weeks.

My biggest issue now is sensitivity around the abutment, more with the "indented area".  It kinda seems swollen and a bit bumpy, more so since I've been wearing the baha.  I had the implant installed 2 months ago, maybe its just not healed as well as it could be?  Anyone else have a problem with sensitivity?
thanks, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: question about BP 100, still problems with implant...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:06:36 pm »
Melinda -

sorry to hear your BAHA Gotcha Day wasn't better. 

When I first started wearing my Divino everything seemed amplified - including my own voice when I talked - but within a few days I didn't notice that anymore.  The more you wear your device, the quicker you'll get used to it.

However, IMO the sensitivity is unusual, so until you see your doctor, you may not want to wear your processor too much.  Everyone heals at a different rate, but typically docs have BAHA patients wait 90 days before wearing their device to ensure calcification and healing.  Until you schedule an appointment with your doctor you might want to keep applying bacitracin to your site.  It can't hurt and it might help.

I don't have my BP100 yet - it's on order - but I have heard from others that the programming can be a little tricky initially.  I know that Lisa (Sefra22) had to have her audiologist turn off the feedback manager because it was a bigger problem than it was a help.  I think it may take you and your audiologist a little experimentation before you get your device programmed just right.

The good news is, that everyone I know who had "problems" with the BP100's programming did find a solution in the end.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

margen

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:34:57 am »
I got my BAHA one week ago and I am having the same issues you are experiencing.  My head still feels swollen and sensitive.  I can't hear as well as I had hoped, but if I increase the volume it creates feedback that is audible to those around me.  I'm hoping the audiologist can make some adjustments.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:40:56 am »
Keep in mind that the BAHA will not help you hear like you used to before you were SSD - it is not like "normal" hearing.  To my knowledge nothing currently on the market will help you hear "normally" again.

However, the BAHA is a vast improvement over being SSD.  The BP100 is highly programmable - it has 12 channels - and therein lies the problem.  It's both a blessing and a curse.  It can take time to get it tailored to the individual, but in the end it's definitely worth it.

If you have time you should check out the Cochlear Community on the Cochlear website (www.cochlearamericas.com) there is a whole section dedicated to the BP100 with facts, questions and answers, etc.  You might find it helpful.

In the meantime, hang in there girls - better hearing days are coming.  I promise  ;D

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sam Rush

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 12:33:01 pm »
 60 days seems too soon to wear the processor. The skin is probably not healed enough, and the ossification into the bone may not be complete. Check w/ your doctor about waiting another month.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 05:45:38 pm »
I thought 90 days seems to be more appropriate than 60 days in healing time.  BAHA will never replace normal hearing.  It's like a hearing aid but much better.  ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

tenai98

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 05:53:42 pm »
somebody correct me if I'm wrong....I get my BAHA in a week's time..Cant wait...but what I think hhow its going to work is that the system will pickup sound waves and transfer to good ear...I dont and I am not anticipating better hearing in my left ear...its deaf...the good ear will be doing double duty but at least I will 'hear' from the left but will sound like coming from the right.....now decipher that.
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

rupert

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 06:52:53 pm »

I too have a hard time with the concept.   With the BAHA  you are hearing with one ear from two different sources (  your good ear and the BAHA )  Seems there would be some kind of time lapse.   I have received and watched the video presentation from Choclear and know why it works just cant figure the concept.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:19:36 pm »
I know different docs have different "rules" but I have to agree with rupert and Sam on this one.  I think 60 days is too soon also.

Sam is both a BAHA wearer and an MD so I trust him implicitly on this - and many other issues  ;D

As far as how the BAHA works, I'm the last one who could explain that one.  All I know is it works - and very well, I might add - through bone conduction.

Steve Gerrard gave a very good explanation of the "hows" of BAHAs on another thread.  Maybe he'll do the same on this one.

Jan

mellowrama

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 09:09:44 pm »
I sent an email to my doc and he really has doubts that the baha device is affecting my skin, but I still am concerned about the 60 days being enough for the ossification process to be complete. It seems to me, that it would be unique healing time for people, but that a certain time should be of minimum.  However, even my HEI surgeon Dr. Friedman thought that 60 days was ok.

I'm going to see Dr. Baker again in a couple of weeks.  And like margen, I hope additional programming will improve the volume vs. feedback issue.

I've never thought the baha would be as good as or better than hearing, nor have I ever read that by anyone posting that...for me, and I'm still adjusting, its about a 3 out of 10.  And I do believe a 3 is significant compared to ssd.

I have hyperacusis (sensitivity) in my good ear so the added sound by the BAHA might be adding to that too.
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 09:37:29 pm »
The descriptions of swelling and sensitivity around the BAHA abutment areas -- at two months post-surgery -- that Margen and Melinda are experiencing sound unusual to me. Has the area been uncomfortable ever since your implant surgery, or did it just begin when you started wearing the sound processor? I hope your doctors can provide some answers and some help. I think most of us would say that the abutment area was numb at that point in the process -- and the numbness continues for quite a long time -- but not swollen and sensitive.

Hope you'll both be improving so that you can start to enjoy your BAHAs!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

tenai98

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 07:27:19 am »
BTW....my doc made me wait 5 months before giving my audiologist the ok to attacth the device....60 days does seem way to soon.
Just my two cents.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7