Author Topic: One Year Ago Today!  (Read 2889 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
One Year Ago Today!
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:38:11 am »
Yes, it was a year ago today that I had my AN removed.

My brain still works. (some memory lapses but I forgot the details)

Balance OK (I would say 95% -- I can put on my socks standing up without falling down, and rarely clip the doorway turning into my AN side)

Headaches (I would get very mild headaches as I woke up in the morning and they would disappear once I got up. Haven't had one for about a week now.)

SSD (This is my bigest issue and does take some getting used to. When outdoors and someone calls me from far away I have no idea where they are and look kind of silly trying to find them.  When the bell for the elevator rings in the building I work in I usually turn the wrong direction than the one that is opening. I also have become so used to the difficulty in hearing in noisy places that when someone(who knows I am SSD) is talking to me and I can't understand a good deal of what they are saying, I let them finish and then casually respond "You know I can't understand anything you've said." then I smile.)

OK, there was something else I wanted to say but I forgot  ;) but if I remember I'll edit this post.

Next up I will schedule my 1 year MRI, Oh boy!

;D
Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: One Year Ago Today!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:44:24 am »
Neal -

let me be the first of many to congratulate you.  The first ANniversary is a huge milestone.

You've come a long way in the past 12 months and you have a great attitude about your "limitations" - the memory glitches and the SSD.

Good luck with your MRI.  I found myself extremely nervous for my first one post op, but year two was much earlier on my nerves.

Here's to a clean MRI - and to many more ANniversaries.

Thanks for all the great feedback you've contributed to the Forum - I hope you stick around to keep up that tradition.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:26:04 am »
Neal,

Congratulations! I remember meeting you at the January 2009 NY/NJ get-together when you were still a couple of weeks away from your surgery and then again at this past November's gathering when it was obvious that you'd had a wonderful recovery!

Best wishes with your upcoming MRI!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:47:13 pm »
Neal ~
It is amazing how time flies.  I remember reading about you when I first came to the forum last Spring!  I am glad to hear you are doing well.  My goal was to put my socks on standing up too!  Hope those headaches dwindle over time.

Your SSD stories are so true.  I always spin the wrong direction when someone speaks to me.  You'd think I would take the chance and go the other way! 

Congrats on making it through this year and wishes for many more great times to come! Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 04:58:20 pm »
Neal ~

Thanks for the one-year update!  You've had a good recovery and are dealing with your SSD quite well.  More proof that there really is 'life after AN surgery'....and a good life, too!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 05:49:33 pm »
Good for you, Neal. I'm right behind you - my one year is tomorrow. I have my MRI scheduled but not my follow up with my doc yet. Which means I'll be holding my films up to the window all weekend trying to figure out what is and what isn't in my brain.

The SSD is frustrating, but I feel fine most of the time. I feel little tipsy sometimes but that's ok. I haven't had headaches or fatigue in a while. My face is still kind of non moving in some places.

Overall, I'm happy, thankful, etc and I'm so glad you're doing well too!

Thanks for sharing the details!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »
Neal,

Congratulations!  Let us know how things go with the MRI.

Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 10:56:20 am »
Neal, congrats on the milestone...I know it has been quite a ride for you and you are doing very well!  Also congrats to you Keri on your one year as well.  These stories should be good reading for all us newbies and upcoming posties as well...that there is life after AN!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston