Author Topic: GK completed - ear feels full...  (Read 2654 times)

S.arah

GK completed - ear feels full...
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:46 am »
Hello everyone!

Got GK done yesterday (Right AN 2.7cm X 2cm)  and it was a piece of cake overall except for when they tightened the frame on my head... felt very surreal but the strange feeling subsided a few minutes later and the rest of the day went very smooth. Was discharge right after GK treatment... went home and slept all day and all night...

Still resting today... head still hurts a little bit.. I guess from the depressurization from the frame and tenderness of pin sites (though they're barely noticeable)...

My right ear feels full.... and feels like I cant hear as well a before due to this fullness. Has anyone experienced this before? I keep getting flash like pains on the right hand side of my forehead and behind my ear.... what's happening????

JimC

Re: GK completed - ear feels full...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:16:03 pm »
Hi S.arah,

Congrats on being done with GK! I'm a month out from my GK. My 'weird' feeling came when they unscrewed the headframe. I could feel the screws turning in my head...weird. I had a little of the fullness feeling, but that passed rather quickly. I also get the flash-like pains, but not too often. The biggest side effect I've had to date is just a general feeling of fatigue. It doesn't keep me from work, but I'm ready for a little more energy. I also get up really early now. The first few weeks, I was waking up between 4:30/5:30, even on the weekends!
45 year old male. 3.3 cm left side AN. Gamma Knife at Cleveland Clinic on 12/31/09 - Happy New Year!

mk

Re: GK completed - ear feels full...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 08:49:25 pm »
S.arah,

congratulations on the successful completion of your treatment.

It is not unusual to experience some odd pains right after the procedure, which may be attributed to the headframe positioning/pin sites. In my case, the left (non AN side) screw positioning was a bit problematic from the beginning, resulting in some tenderness and odd sensations that propagated throughout the cheek and jaw for about a month. The "good" thing was that it was the non-AN side, otherwise I would have freaked out thinking that something terrible was going on.

I also experienced infrequently the flash like pains you are talking about on the AN side - but they totally went away after about 6 months. I know that other forumites have mentioned these pains, occurring post radiation or surgery but I don't think anyone really knows what causes them. Ibuprofen generally took care of all these strange sensations.

Fullness is also common. BUT watch out for sudden hearing loss - make it a habit to check your AN ear on the phone regularly. In the case you notice sudden loss call your doctor right away and ask if he/she recommends steroids.

Take it easy, rest a lot and best wishes for a quick recovery.
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.