Author Topic: New, will be getting surgery soon  (Read 3089 times)

phx

New, will be getting surgery soon
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:56:57 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm going to have my surgery at the end of this month. I'm sooooooo nervous and scared. Someone tell me this is normal. These tumors aren't that common. I haven't met anyone in person who has this either. I feel so alone and it's very depressing because no one seems to understand what I'm going through. Any thoughts?

ombrerose4

Re: New, will be getting surgery soon
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:39:19 pm »
It's normal to be  scared, nervous and depressed after receiving your diagnosis. We have all been there and WE understand. There are many people on this forum who can help guide you through this. We are all here for each other. Ask your questions and we will share our knowledge or tell you where to find more information. The ANA has many great booklets you can get regarding acoustic neuromas and what to expect afterwards. You can request them online. If you need a shoulder to lean on, you will find many here and also alot of laughter! Take a deep breath and relax. Please let us know when and where your surgery will be done. There may be someone on the forum who has had the same doctors and can answer some of your questions. Try to stay positive and remember we are here for you.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

lori67

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 08:48:43 pm »
It is absolutely normal to be nervous and scared!  Who wouldn't be?

But, you're definitely not alone and you've come to the right place - we all understand how you feel and what you're going through - and we'll help you get through it.

Depending on where you live, there may be a support group nearby that you can get involved with, of if you've gotten a copy of the Willing to Talk list from the ANA, there may be someone on there that lives near you or has used your same doctors.  If there isn't - there are plenty of others on there (including me) who would love to be a mini-support group! 

Take a deep breath....you'll get through this......

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:04:08 am »
Dear Phx,

I'd be worried if you WEREN'T nervous or scared.  Good grief!  Any sane person would be nervous to have surgery on their head.  I had Gamma Knife and that was enough for me!  Lots of feelings and thoughts and emotions come flying out of you when the doctor explains you have a tumor that has to come out of your head!  You can search this site for lots of answers to your many questions.  You can express your concerns and fears here all you want.  Lori is right.  See if there is a support group in your area.  Your are not alone.  Does Phx, stand for Phoenix?  I'm sure there are ANer's there somewhere.  It's rare but not THAT rare.  Seems to me there are plenty of people who have this stupid thing.  Anyway....we're here for you.  Don't despair.  Things will work out.  What size is your AN?  Where is your surgery going to be at?  Curious minds and all. 

But know that you will be okay. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:41:01 pm »
Hi, Pat ~

Yes, being scared when facing the diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma and subsequent surgery is perfectly normal.  I can't imagine anyone could take this with anything but at least a bit of apprehension.  I wasn't exactly 'scared' but I was nervous (about the surgery) and the fact that ANs are relatively rare is always an issue.  Fortunately a nice lady named Virginia Fickel Ehr founded the Acoustic Neuroma Association almost 20 years ago (1981) and over time, the ANA website grew to include these Discussion Forums where newly diagnosed AN patients like you could 'visit', share your concerns and ask questions of folks who had the exact same condition (an acoustic neuroma) and had undergone surgery or radiation and faced the same fears as you have, now.  

Because the ANA website and these forums exist, you don't have to feel all alone and isolated.  Many people around the country and in other parts of the world post messages on this forum.  Most have or had an acoustic neuroma and know exactly what you're dealing with.  They are eager to read your story and offer advice and support as you struggle with this situation no one wants.  Please allow us to help you in whatever way we possibly can, and never feel all alone with this...because, in reality, you aren't.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:42:48 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

phx

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:58:46 pm »
Thanks everyone!

mellowrama

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 03:55:44 am »
the hardest part is over already - making the surgery decisions of what/where to go....and you will feel so much better after the surgery is over and behind you!
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 08:23:06 pm »
I'd be worried if you WEREN'T nervous or scared.  Good grief!  Any sane person would be nervous to have surgery on their head. 

But know that you will be okay. 
Bravo Sue!  Sue and the others are correct, so have no fear, you are 100% NORMAL.

I may be the only person in AN history who wasn't scared, not once, not even for a moment... and if you believe that I have some really sweet ocean front property in North Dakota you just have to buy!  Don't feel guilty for feeling scared or alone, it is OK.  But you should also feel good for two reasons - 1) you made a decision and 2) you found the ANA.  #1 is a MAJOR step.  Now you know what route you are taking and you can begin to prepare for your journey.  #2 is important, the great people at the ANA and fine folks here at the forum can help you along the way.  Don't be afraid to ask questions or vent some frustrations!

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."