Author Topic: During surgery...  (Read 2691 times)

phx

During surgery...
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:56:30 pm »
What kind of monitors are patients hooked up too? How many IV's? The doctor told me I'm going to have a catheter put up my spine to drain spinal fluid. These extra things scare me. Anything else I should know they're going to put in me? After the surgery, I should be able to get up and go to the bathroom myself, right? I'm uncomfortable in hospital environments. And YES!!!! I'm afraid of PAIN. I keep picturing myself waking up to lots of pain and nausea. My goodness and another thing, too, is being unconscious for at least 8 hours, not knowing what's all happening in reality. That's really scary. I always like to know what's happening and keep up with what's going on around me. Thoughts?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: During surgery...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:34:35 pm »
phx -

first and foremost, you need to have a good discussion with your doctor and find out the answers to your questions.  Doctors and hospitals have different procedures.

For example, while all AN surgery patients had a catheter (it's necessary because AN surgery is a long surgery) not everyone has a lumbar drain for potential CSF leaks (I didn't have one).  One note on the catheter - tell both your doctor and the anesthesiologist that you want the catheter placed AFTER you are asleep.  Removal can be done while you are awake - usually as soon as you are mobile post op, which honestly may be a day or two - because it isn't painful (at least for females; I don't know about males).

The more prepared and informed you are prior to your surgery, the less anxiety you will have.

I wouldn't spend too much time focusing on the possible pain post op.  In general, people tolerate pain differently and lots of us - me included - didn't have pain.  However, if you do, there are pain meds that WILL be given to you.  No one is going to make you suffer when it comes to pain.  There are meds for nausea also. 

Being unconscious for at least 8 hours will in reality seem like a few minutes to you.  I remember talking to the docs & medical personnel in the OR one minute and waking up the next - at least it seemed that way.  I spent 7 1/2 hours in surgery and at least 90 minutes in the recovery room and I don't remember one second of either  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 08:09:31 am »
Hello phx

I don't remember much of anything that happened the first 24 hrs after surgery, and I must say I had no pain at all until they removed the staples 10 days after surgery and that wasn't all that bad.  Monitors and IV's, I know of at least 3 monitors vital signs (EKG), hearing and facial nerve monitor, and I had only one IV.  I had both catheters but they put both of them in when I was out and took them out before I woke up.  I have had 10 different OPs in the last 3 year and my AN was painless compared to the others.

Like Jan said talk with your Dr and take someone along to help you think or questions to ask and to help you remember everything that he tells you because it is alot to take in at once especially when your stressed.

Good Luck
Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 08:23:26 am »
Just wanted to try to put you at ease I had a lumbar drain and was advised this before surgery and also was a little scared okay alot but the surgeon said it would be done while I was asleep. When I woke up in the ICU I had the drain in my spine with all the medications I did not even feel it, the drain was in my back for 4 days and then when they took it out I was petrified but I did not feel a thing when they were removing it and it only took I believe 1 or 2 stitches to close up the area.  I had vomited only a little right after surgery but nothing after that they gave me something for the nausea and I had headaches that was my biggest complaint the 5 days I was in the hospital. I am hoping that this was of some relief to you and it is okay to be scared ....

Best Wishes,

Pat
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:36:39 am by pjb »
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 02:17:04 pm »
Pat ~

Because you'll be unconscious, you'll be completely unaware of the hours you'll spend in the OR during your surgery. Just as when you go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning not knowing what happened while you were asleep.  In the OR, you'll be 'hooked up' to many monitors including a 'nerve monitor' and the usual blood pressure, pulse rate, oxygen rate monitors.  Although I didn't have one, the spinal catheter is a precaution and not uncommon.  A urine catheter is standard, as Jan noted.  I had one but it was inserted after I was 'under' the anesthesia (unconscious) and it's removal (48 hours later ) was quick and painless.  Many AN surgery patients experience nausea immediately following the surgery, which is usually brought on by the anesthesia.  Anti-nausea medication is available. and will be given to you, if necessary.  The nausea usually subsides on it's own within a day or two of the surgery. A post-op headache can occur but again, the hospital will supply medication to combat this - if it occurs.  You'll awake with a large head-bandage but that is usually removed within a few days.   Most of the possible problems you may experience immediately post-op will resolve within a few days.  You shouldn't have any serious pain but you will very likely feel fatigued.  My advice is to sleep as much as you need to.  I did...for a day or so, until I felt better and began to get restless lying in bed all day.  I believe this is typical for AN surgery patients.  This is major surgery and while it has consequences, most are handled fairly well by AN patients and of course, you're in a hospital - an ICU for the first day or so -  and help is always nearby.  The kinds of monitors in the OR will also be used to monitor your 'vital signs' while you're in the ICU.  

Frankly, this is an experience where you absolutely must have faith in your doctors and trust them (and the hospital staff) to do what is best for you.  Constant anxiety and worrying can't change a thing but it can induce unnecessary stress that you really don't need right now.  I suggest that when your surgery day arrives, you 'let go' and just allow the professionals to do their work, which is for your benefit.  Yes, there may be some problems post-op but that is unknowable now and worrying about things that may never happen is futile.  Some discomfort has to be expected with a surgery such as this but within a few days, most of it passes and you'll likely be home again and on the mend before you know it.  Try to think positive and not focus on 'what-ifs' and things you cannot control.  I would also suggest that you have a talk with your doctor and ask him some of the questions you've posed here.  He can probably offer you more precise information that may also help to calm your anxiety.  

Jim    
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:18:42 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epc1970

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 03:22:12 pm »
Phx
I had a catheter and a lumbar drain and both  were inserted after I was asleep.  I barely noticed when both were removed post op. I think I had at least 3 ivs and Aline. Only 1 was inserted prior to being put to sleep and again I barley noticed as they were gradually removed post surgery. One thing to keep in mind is that you will have a team of professionals whose job it is to keep you pain free and as comfortable as possible. The time prior to surgey is very anxiety provoking-I tried to not think of the "what ifs" and just set my mind that I was going to be just fine and I am!  Don't think abooutthings like catheters and iv's because you will not be very aware of them. When I think back, I am surprised that it was not as horrible and painful as I had built up in my mind.
Erin

lori67

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 05:32:18 pm »
It may look like a lot of tubes and wires are coming out of all parts, but each one has the purpose of keeping you safe, comfortable and healthy.  The people who insert, monitor and remove all these things have been trained to do just that and they do it all day, every day, so they're quite good at it.

You don't need to worry about what's going on when you're asleep - just enjoy the nap.  You can read the paper the next day if you really need to.   :D  My husband kept a journal of the day on-line to keep everyone informed and also to help him pass the time.  I enjoy reading through it every now and then.  Trust me, I didn't miss out on anything too xciting.  The world continues to revolve even if I'm not awake when it's happening.

I had no pain at all after my surgery.  I've had dental cleanings that hurt more than my AN surgery.  I also have 4 kids and trust me, that hurt more than the AN surgery too!   :o

All you have to do is let the nurses and doctors know that you are concerned about things like IV's and catheters and they'll do everything they can to make you feel more comfortable with any procedures they need to do.  They also usually give you some meds before sending you off to la-la land just to relax you.  They always tell me it won't put me to sleep, but one dose of that stuff knocks me right out and at that point, I don't think I'd care if the janitor was doing my surgery!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.