Author Topic: Scared and need advice  (Read 4536 times)

mony14

Scared and need advice
« on: February 06, 2010, 07:25:28 pm »
I am a female, 40 years old.

This past Monday, I noticed I couldnt hear as good on my left side, it felt full.

So Tuesday I went to a Urgent Care place. The Dr looked in both ears. My right looked good, he could see the eardrum, but on the left side he couldnt see the eardrum. He said I had a wax plug.

The nurse used water to get it out. Afterwards, It didnt fill full but I still couldnt hear normal. I told the Dr that and he acted like no big deal, he said I had water in my ears and I'd be fine.

So I could hear real high pitched things until Thursday morning, when I noticed I couldnt hear a thing. Well, really it always sounds like I have a small fan in my ear always SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So Friday morning I went to the ENT because I still could not hear. He gave me 2 different hearing tests and said I was all but deaf in that left ear. He looked in it and he said it looked fine.

He put me on Prednisone for 12 days and if that doesnt work he said I'll need a MRI and it very well may be a tumor (AN)

I am not dizzy, I dont have pain, and no dranage.

Does this sound like AN to you? I dont know anyone to has ever got their ear flushed so I dont know if hearing loss is normal.

Any ideas?

I have 2 small boys and no Insurance and I am really worried.

Kaybo

Re: Scared and need advice
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:39:56 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Forum!  Let's hope that you don't have a tumor but if you do it will be OK...take a deep breath.  I did have my ear irrigated (flushed) when I was in college and it helped me to be able to hear again - I will never forget driving home and being able to hear the turn signal noise - I had not been able to hear it but didn't realize it!  Anyway, it helped me but I can see how it *might* make things worse - ears are delicate things.  For some people, the steroids do the trick - let's hope & pray for the best!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

rupert

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 07:56:12 pm »

Those treatments are the basic ones ENT's do.   Clean the ears,   then a hearing test.   In cases of sudden hearing loss a prescription for steroids is common.  This might help, and  is definitely  worth a try.  This is usually most effective shortly after the hearing loss.  MRI 's are then ordered to rule out things,   such as brain tumors.   Rare they are, but if you've already found this sight there is much information that will help guide you.

This is exactly how my diagnoses happened.
                                                                      Bryan

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 09:22:26 pm »
Hi and welcome to our discussion forum.  Before getting really nervous, just know that having AN is not the end of the world.  It is always non-cancerous and can be treated in a variety of ways successfully.  The odds of getting an AN is 1 in 100,000 so it's not a real common thing to have. There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you've described and still not be an AN.  The only true way of diagnosing an AN is through MRI w/contrast.  So as Kay said, take a deep breath...wait and see how your hearing responds to your recent treatment and if nothing changes then get that MRI to rule it out.  It's almost impossible to just say "yes you do have AN" because of your symptoms, it's just not that simple.  You might also want to get a second opinion, if you can...a lot of us on here were misdiagnosed for years until they got the MRI and it was an acoustic neuroma that caused all their issues. So don't put the horse before the cart just yet, because even IF you do have an AN, like I said it is not the end of the world.  Please keep us informed on what happens...we have all vented on here so you've come to the right place.  Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 10:58:28 pm »
Mony -

different people have different symptoms prior to being diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma - and this also holds true even after they are diagnosed.

My symptoms were fullness in the AN ear and diminished hearing.  I also found out after my diagnostic MRI that I had balance issues I wasn't even aware of.

As Jay said, the only sure way to rule out - or confirm - an AN is to have a MRI, usually with gadolinium contrast.

I can't stress enough a couple of other things that Jay said; having an AN isn't the end of the world - plus you shouldn't put the cart before the horse until you know that you have a cart.  The symptoms you describe may or may not be caused by an AN.

If you do get an MRI and it does show an AN, you should contact the ANA and ask for their informational literature and their WTT (willing to talk) list.  You'll find both extremely helpful.

Of course, you should also return to the Forum because you'll find a lot of information and support here.

Good luck; please keep us updated.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mony14

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 11:34:06 am »
Thank you for all of your help.

Its only my 2nd full day of the Prednisone. Still nothing yet. But I know its early.

I'm just scared, thats all

Thanks again.

Does anyone know with flushing the ear out will cause hearing loss?

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:40:00 pm »
Mony,

Hi and welcome.  Incorrect procedure in flushing out the ear can cause the ear drum to rupture, but the ENT would have seen that.  I've had this done and seen an immediate improvement in my hearing.  I actually thought wax was the problem prior to my diagnosis.  Hopefully, you don't have an AN but if you do, we are here to support you.  I'm crossing my fingers for you that the prednisone does the trick.  Please keep us posted.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

LisaP

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 12:45:13 pm »
Hi,

First of all take a deep breath. OK exhale!!

First talk the medication if that does not work, then go for a MRI, take one step at a time and try not to panic.  We are here for you.

Keep us posted.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

cin605

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 03:04:24 pm »
You can try n call your local hospital n ask about a finacial assitance plan....also does your state have medicaid or another typ of assistance?Tap all your sources,call your local town office they may tellu about more.
I am in N.H. n we have aplace called community action..as well as N.H. health access.
Even if u do not have some thing serious you can use the medical assit now.Also most physicians offer a low income plan.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

mk

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 08:30:29 pm »
Hi,

You have already got a lot of information and tips - I wanted to point out something though: If prednisone works this DOES NOT mean that you don't have an AN (although of course I wish you don't have one). I have had three episodes of complete hearing loss, exactly like what you have described. The only difference being that my first one happened right after my initial diagnosis, so I knew what was causing it. In all three cases, my hearing was fully restored by prednisone. Steroids reduce inflammation or tumor related edema, thus relieving pressure to the nerve.

Since you went on the prednisone very soon after the hearing loss happened, there is a very high chance that your hearing will return. Day 2 is still early, it has usually taken me about 1-2 weeks to see real improvement. In the meantime it feels like an out-of-tune orchestra was playing inside my ear, with lots of distortion etc.
OK, my point is that you must get an MRI with contrast, as everyone else said, because this is the only credible way to rule out an AN.

Good luck
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

rupert

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 09:22:02 pm »

I usually have my ears washed out twice a year.  I just seem to produce a lot of wax.   I have never had a problem afterwards.   I know I could hear a lot better after.

It helps if you pre soften the wax first,  this helps it come out a lot easier.   After years and years of this procedure being done by my family Doc,  I was welcomed into the 21st century by my neurotologist.    He cleaned the wax out with a microscope and swab, as I watched the whole thing on a TV monitor.

I agree with everyone else.  Don't put the cart in front of the horse.  Also,  even if your hearing comes back as was stated I would have your Doc order an MRI.   Sudden hearing loss should be reason  enough.     Bryan

suboo73

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 05:32:18 am »
Hi Mony,

And WELCOME to the Forum!   :)
I am glad you were able to go to the doctor about your sudden hearing loss - from what i understand from others, this could help your hearing return.

However, i wanted to point out that what Marianna said might be true too. 
I went to 2 different ENTS over a course of 12+ years, starting when i was 40.
They did the standard hearing tests, but they were inconclusive.  [Even the one in 10/2008 appeared 'inconclusive.']
But, since i knew about ANs (my sister was diagnosed in Summer 2008), i asked the new ENT for an MRI with contrast.
I just had to know what was going on!

I hope your hearing returns - i know i don't want mine to suddenly disappear.
You have lots of time to investigate all these things, including some financial assistance- then i would ask for the MRI with contrast - rules out ANs and such.

Good luck with everything!
Keep us posted on your progress.
Read more under the heading of "Insurance" for additional information.

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 03:51:45 pm »
Hi, Mony ~

I have nothing substantive to add but I wanted to extend my welcome - and the hope that whatever is causing your hearing loss is not an acoustic neuroma.  Although an acoustic neuroma is almost never malignant and can be dealt with quite successfully through surgery and/or radiation, it isn't something I would want anyone to have to confront.  That having been noted, I would try to be patient, don't 'buy trouble' and if the steroids don't help your hearing, then definitely have the ENT order an MRI scan, with contrast. Once you have the MRI, that should show whether or not you have an acoustic neuroma or, perhaps, something else that is easily treatable.     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mony14

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 06:07:55 am »
Thank you all once again.

My ENT did set up my MRI for Feb. 17th and then I go back to the ENT on Feb.23 for him to tell me whats going on.

For those of you that do or did have one. How was the surgery?

Was it painfull?
How long did you stay in the hospital?
How long was recovery time?

I'm trying not to be so scared but I am. Sorry. =)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 07:01:19 am »
Mony -

the surgery isn't painful.  Hospital stay is typically 4 - 7 days and recovery is generally about 6 weeks.

Everyone is different though and has a different AN Journey.

Try not to be scared and dwell on this too much.  At this point you don't even know if you have an acoustic neuroma.

If you do and it's small enough, you should also have the choice of radiating it (rather than surgery) which some find to be the best treatment for them.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways