Author Topic: My Mom has AN  (Read 12732 times)

Mei Mei

Re: My Mom has AN
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2010, 09:38:21 am »
Dear Qzan,
I had some leaking but only a few drops now and then.  It would stop and then a few days later start.  Nothing much.  They didn't do anything about it.

As for shower and shampoo,  I was told not to do that until three days after the stitches were removed.    The stitches are removed a week after surgery.

Please encourage your mother to rest and you yourself rest well!

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

moe

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 11:33:46 am »
Dear Qzan,
Is your mom having headaches associated with the leakage? I can't add anything to this part.
I had the gold weight implanted, and as far as showering, I took a bath, I think I washed my hair in the tub,and kept water off the incision. Washing the face gently too.
Her eye will be all pretty purple and swollen, so ice packs immediately after surgery are a must. I guess she is at home now?
It is a slow process. It seems like one step forward, one or two steps backward. The docs probably don't want to do anything invasive unless they absolutely have to, so are just watching the fluid situation.
But she is smiling and she has a sense of humor. Ya hoo :) :) Her facial nerve is intact! The chewing problem is probably short term.

Keep the faith, overall she is doing great and YOU are doing great. Take care of yourself too. Rest when she rests!
Peace to you,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kaybo

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 01:39:27 pm »
Qzan~
About washing the face, I was just careful around my eye.  When I had the T3 a couple of years ago and they put in a new weight, I remember using those "cleansing cloths" - they were great b/c I could decide where I wanted to clean...does that make sense?  I don't remember for sure how long it was before I took a shower after my surgery.  I know that it was AFTER I was home and after I had the stitches out of my tummy from where they harvested the fat.

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

qzan19

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 08:05:12 am »
Dear Mei Mei, Maureen and Kaybo,

Thank you so much for your reply. My mom is doing great. :) The opened her bandage today. I think there is still a little bit leak but I don't think doctors care. Our surgeant told us if we want we can leave tomorrow. But my mom and I were agreed to stay one day longer, so we will leave the hospital on Wednesday.
    Today, gold weight implanted on my mom's left eyelid. Her face already looks better. Finally she can close her eyes. That is such a relief. As you told before, her eyelid is swollen and purple. But thank god, she doesn't have too much pain.
    Dear Maureen, I believe her headaches from the tight bandage, but I'm not quite sure. She doesn't have headache so far, but she complains about earache. (ache inside of her ear)
     Dear Mei Mei, my mom's stitches won't be removed. The stitches are inside of the wound. We asked the doctor about the shower situation, he said wait for 10 days. (my poor mom) But thank you so much for your help.
     Dear Kaybo, you mean like baby wipes? We bought some baby wipes for cleaning her body with.
     Dear Kaybo and Nancy, I bought biotene mouth set today. Thank you so much for all your help. We will fly back home on Wednesday and then I think I'm coming back to America on Sunday. I will try to update her experience after I arrive to USA but my mom also would like to write and help too. She is so happy all your help and your prays. Now she wants to do it some other people too. So maybe she will be the one who continues this form.
    Thank you so much for everyone,
       Qzan

Kaybo

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 08:36:42 am »
Qzan~
They make specific wipes now for the face - esp to take make-up off too - she prob doesn't need that - jsut the ones to clense...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

qzan19

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 10:17:00 am »

Dear Kaybo,

Can you tell me a brand name so I can check it if it is in Turkey?

Thank you very much,
    Qzan :)

Mei Mei

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 11:16:09 am »
What will she do when you are in the US?  Does she live with family to help her?   You said you took an airplane ?   My mother was from Istambul so I know Turkey.  Where does she live?  What city was the surgery in?  If she needs follow up care, how hard will it be to get back to the doctor in the other city to see him since you have to take an airplane to get there?
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 02:25:11 pm »
Qzan:  Sp glad to hear things are slowly improving.  Re: the eye weight, great news, but remember, once the swelling subsides, her eye may not close as good as it does now (that happened to me).  So make sure she has lots of eye ointment, etc. 
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

qzan19

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2010, 02:08:02 am »

Dear Mei Mei,  We are from Izmir and the hospital (Gazi Hospital) my mom had the surgery is in Ankara. My mom's surgeant is Dr. Nebil Goksu. Unfortunately there is just two doctors in Turkey who can do this surgery, one is in Ankara ( Dr. Goksu), the other one is in Istanbul. In both case we have to go another city. But Turkey is not like America. The farthest part takes 1 hour by plane. So does Ankara. After we go to Izmir, my mom is going to stay with my sister, who is also doctor so her husband, for couple weeks.
   Dear Nancy, thank you for your warning I still have niteye and we still have eye drops. ( I hoe she won't need any of them).

Thank you,
    Qzan

Kaybo

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2010, 07:59:26 am »
Qzan~
I don't really know specific brand names...I know here that there are a bunch out there.  I think I used Neutrogena...maybe you could google "facial cleansing cloths"??

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Mei Mei

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 06:56:19 pm »
Dear Qzan,
I'm glad that your mom is in good hands with family doctors in the home once you are back in the U.S.  Izmir is a pretty large city and they do have ENT and good Primary Care Doctors for follow up care to interact with your Ankara doctor if need be.

About the facial wipes and eye drops and other necessities, do you have a Carrefour there?   They are all over the world where I've traveled and are just like Costco.  They are from France and have everything you need.  I find them in so many towns!!!

Best of courage and strength in settling your mother down peacefully before your departure for the U.S.   It will be a difficult good bye after all you've been through these last few weeks.
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 10:13:28 pm »
My mom is doing great. :)      

This is wonderful news and I am very happy to hear it  ;D

My best to your mother,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways