Author Topic: Gamma Knife procedure done today 4/18  (Read 6722 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Gamma Knife procedure done today 4/18
« on: April 18, 2006, 06:28:16 pm »
Hello Everyone,
I had my procedure done this a.m. at Providence Gamma Knife Center of Oregon. It went really well and it was pretty fast. In at 6 a.m., home by 11 a.m.  They were nice and I enjoyed the undivided attention of all of their "team".  The pill made me nice and loopy and we had a good time!  The needles in the head stung for a second, and then it was over. The frame attachment was no big deal. I had a splitting headache when I got home but tylenol and a four hour nap helped a lot.  I did not sleep well last night, with maybe 3 hours sleep, so the nap felt really good.  I had a Whopper and fries for lunch, because I was starving!  Got my pharmacy meds and will be on decadron for a short time.  No nausea so far.  I'm glad that part is over. One day at a time.  Thanks for your support and encouragement and it helped to know somebody else out there has this thing in the head.  Our little alien invader.  Hopefully, today, we killed it.    ;)
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Raydean

Re: Gamma Knife procedure done today 4/18
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:15:15 pm »
Hi Sue

Congratulations!!!!  Wishing you all things good and positive!!   Please keep us updated on your progress.

Best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 07:29:04 pm »
Sue you sound so upbeat!  Good luck with all your treatments..may they go well!  Keep us posted on how you are doing. We like happy stories!

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:40:05 pm »
Hi Sue,

Welcome aboard, keep posting your progress at regular intervals including any drug impacts (hopefully none), that ay, we can all learn from the experiences.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

carolk

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 09:10:08 am »
Glad to hear that all went so smoothly today Sue.  Please keep us posted on how you're doing.  It's very helpful for us "watch and waiters" to get a feel for the day-to-day reality of the procedures.

all best,
Carol

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:24:56 pm »
S-U-E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You rawk, girly!!!!!!!!!!  OH, I'm soooooooo glad it over and thrilled to hear you tolerated well and you are now a "Postie!" (post-treatment)... powerful words, ain't it? :)

Oh, huggles, huggles huggles and so dang tickled for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xoxoxoxoox
guess who?
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 01:11:25 pm »
Thanks for the kind words ;D.  I guess I have to move my comments to another thread!!

Well, yesterday was like I had about 4 margaritas, and today it's like I've had 4  double lattes!!  The Decadron (well, I have a generic version) has me full of vitality! I awoke at 5:30 a.m., took my blood sugar (YIKES!), ate a little something, took my meds, read the paper, got dressed and took a walk.  My aunt who came to help me if I needed it was still snoozing.  The steroid taking ends next Tuesday, so the blood sugar will go down....I hope. No headaches, no upset tummy, the pin sites look okay, except I'm sort of lumpy looking as the fluid is sort of shifting. I am feeling a bit more optimistic (maybe it's the drugs!) on the overall outcome of this thing. The very nice nurse coordinator at Providence called me today and asked how I was doing. We talked about the drug effects of yesterday. She said, well, when you told me the same story a couple of times, I knew the drug was working okay!  I don't remember doing that...that's a little embarrasing. But I said, "Well, aren't we cute when we're drunk!"  I guess we entertain them when they put us on xanax.

Anyway, so far so good. I totally expected to be tossing my cookies, but delighted that's not happening at the moment. Maybe this thing isn't going to disturb the balance nerve that much. That would be AWESOME.  I could tap dance in joy, but I think that's the drugs talking!!  tee hee  I told my aunt maybe we could climb Mt. Hood!  If I can sit still long enough we are going to watch a movie. 

I was going to upload a photo of me in my headdress, but didn't know how.  I look loverly! not   ;D

The sun is shining today, it's beautiful outside. Hope everyone has a nice week. 8)

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 01:22:21 pm »
Sue, you and I will be off decacrud together next week. Thrilled that you are doing well and hun....easy on them "marguaritas"... unless you get bored.. my house needs cleaning! :)

Hang tough hun! You're doing great!!!!!

oxoxox
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

SuzeAN

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 02:19:55 pm »
Sue,
Glad to hear you are up and about, take it slow even though we don't feel the "rays" our bodies
need to recover from the stress leading up to the actual treatment and the treatment itself. 
I was a bit tired after my CK but I think I was so excited to have it over with that gave me the energy to
want to do alot. 

cheers,
Sue
hmmm margaritas...that sounds good..
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 10:31:00 pm »
Sue my sugars went bonkers on the decadron too.  I remember having to have insulin in the hospital a few times which I've never had to have before.  It took about 3 mos for the drug to completely remove from my system and my sugars and a1c to go back to normal range.  So normal in fact they no longer consider me diabetic!  I just had an a1c done last week which showed 5.2 which is in the middle of the normal range  ;D  Hang in there you'll floors will be clean and you'll be doing the happy it's over dance before you know it!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 11:02:56 am »
Hello All

Appreciate all the input I'm getting from you guys.  My doctor checked back with me on the sugar levels and said they would slowly come down each day, and to try to excerzise more. I watched the carbo intake yesterday and had a couple of walks, and today my sugar was still up (153) but down from yesterday by a bunch (193ish).  Maybe it's my imagination, but my morning arthritis stiffness isn't near as bothersome and my lower back pain I can notice sometimes, I don't notice and I'm thinking - wow, steroids can be fun!!  I was awake from 5:30 in the a.m. and didn't go to bed until midnight so I could take that pill. My tail was draggin by then, so I guess my body finally said, drugs or no drugs, go to bed!  My family was over again and we had a nice dinner. Auntie made the salad, we had roasted red potatoes and a Giada Di Laurentis (Everyday Italian Chef) on Food Network's Pork Roast, with fresh garlic, rosemary and lemon thyme rub wrapped in bacon (she uses the Italian bacon, Pancetta, but I just grabbed some bacon. Next time I'll use the real thing, even tho it tasted great this way!). Then my auntie and daughter-in-law and I watched a chick flick - Memoirs of a Geisha. Note to anyone seeing the movie - Please read the book if you like to read. It was a wonderful book - an average movie. It just amazed me that this book was written by a man, and he delved so deeply into a private woman's world of the Geisha. Outstanding. In the afternoon, when my aunt tape ducked me to the chair, we watched Chicken Little. Love the really good animated kids movies. Don't care if I'm 60. Back to the drug thing...I told my aunt - Well this is what it would have been like to live with a drug addict!  I told her I sort of understood why the entertainers (Johnny Cash I thought of since we recently saw Walk The Line, for instance.) wanted to take something to keep them flying high.  Man, yesterday I could have rocked out the Palace Theatre, if I'd had any talent...but then I probably wouldn't have cared if I could sing or not!  Of course, there maybe some after effects today, since I want to go and take a little nature walk with my auntie before she goes home. And I thought maybe I would hop on here and write you nice people a note, but it's turning into Chapter One of the Sue Does Gamma Knife and Drugs and Recipe,  Movie Review Manifesto. 

I have also decided that somebody better come up with a smily face that has a little head frame on it. 

Also, I know that my NA adventure is going a lot differently than a lot of people on this site because we had different roads to hopefully the same end.  I appreciate everything that you all are going through and I think you all are so strong and I think it's wonderful that you reach out to all of us, each of us with the same thing, but each of us so different in how it effects us, or how it is treated, or the outcomes of the treatment.  I've told my family and friends about getting on here and how it's helped to have somebody to talk to who as gone down this road. Thanks so much.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 05:26:39 am »
Sue,

Now working my way off the decacrap and the high is slowly  disappearing... so, I may lose the energy to clean my apt in time for my cheeky bloke's arrival next Friday... care to help? ;)

Smiley with headframe?  OMG, did you take pics of your GK treatment with headframe? If so, please issue as this year's holiday cards... I will use my CK mesh-mask face (as seen on my frappr link) as mine... I think we should all use our AN procedure pics as our holiday cards! :)

Thrilled you are doing so well!  Onward and upward we go... another "Postie" to the list and life is good!

TGIF!
xoxoxo
Phyl

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 01:11:29 pm »
You bet I got pictures! They took a polaroid to give me and my husband took a couple. I looked like some kind of whacked out mental patient!  I even took that picture to the eye doctor today as I had an appointment. My dr. there was all fascinated.  Took a copy of my MRI report to stash in my file there. It was a total afterthought for me to bring that, but they really were glad that I did. Coming down off the high, but not sleeping for long periods of time, because it seems I have to get up to take a pill!  I would have a hard time doing this and trying to get to a job everyday. I'm glad I'm unemployed at the moment. I still look kind of like a druggy because my eyes are dilated now....Anyway, each day is a bit different.  And, your right, it's all good. It's not cancer, it's annoying as hell, but it's not life threatening at the moment.  And when the birds are too loud at 5 a.m., I just turn over and then I can't hear them anymore! ;D

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 07:48:42 pm »
Sue you better set an extra plate i'm on my way over for dinner and a movie!  :o)

Sounds like you are doing well with everything..glad to hear such a postive upbeat report! 

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 07:23:20 am »
Sue,

OMG, I am soooooo tickled you are doing well and hanging tough!!!!!!  Nothing like a little Decacrap high to get your house cleaned, dog walked, car washed, food shopping, laundry.. and all in 2 hrs! :)

Hang in there hun!  On the last stage of my decacrap taper now.... I'm ready for some sleep! :)

Phyl