Author Topic: decision on radiation or surgery  (Read 4670 times)

mk

Re: decision on radiation or surgery
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 07:16:47 pm »
Of course everyone agrees that treatment is a very individual choice and everyone ultimately chooses what they are most comfortable with.

Just for the record in this thread, I wanted to note that "radiation" as applied to cancer treatment, is not the same as "stereotactic radio surgery". The former is applied to a broad  area to target as many cancer cells as possible, whereas the latter is very focused. We all know the detrimental effects of radiation (although unfortunately many times it is the only option), especially as applied to children.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

rupert

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 08:08:53 pm »
James e,    In my own quest for as much knowledge as possible I was wondering if radiation was something they were just trying out on tonsils back in the fifties.  I had mine out some years later though,   but I don't recall anyone I knew having radiation instead of just taking them out.

Also, having gone the radiation route myself  I am interested as to how they determined the link between the radiation as a child and the thyroid problems  forty years later.  IE what to look for.   

I know these are some personal questions.  If you do not wish to elaborate I would certainly understand.  Just trying to gain as much info as I can.   Bryan 

sgerrard

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 10:25:18 pm »
Here is two more cents on the question. I wonder what Bob, who started this topic, thinks about all this?

1. You don't have to view the question as one is bad, one is good. It is reasonable to recognize that both have delivered good results for many people. It is more a decision between two good paths, not a puzzle about which path is wonderful and which is terrible.

2. Doctors also disagree about this. At the symposium last August, we all watched as a panel of five distinguished doctors delivered 5 different opinions about the same patient, ranging from radiation, to surgery, to surgery and radiation combined. There is no definitive consensus on the question.

3. If I had had tonsil radiation and later tumors forming, I would have had a different view of doing radiation for my AN. In the end, the decision has to sit well with you, as you are the person who is going to have the treatment and live with the outcome.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 02:18:03 am »
I swear we have the best moderators in the Universe!!   ;D ;)

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 07:15:11 am »
I swear we have the best moderators in the Universe!!   ;D ;)

Sue in Vancouver, USA

ah, geesh!  *blush*  Thank you! :)

I have to note, based on item#2 in Steve's thread above about the symposium and the discussions of AN treatments......

2. Doctors also disagree about this. At the symposium last August, we all watched as a panel of five distinguished doctors delivered 5 different opinions about the same patient, ranging from radiation, to surgery, to surgery and radiation combined. There is no definitive consensus on the question.

It was interesting to see the doctors at the symposium disagree about which treatment option they deemed as best. I sat at lunch with Dr. Weit and Dr. Slattery (boy, it was great picking their brains.... when most of these docs pick our brains! ;) ) and to have this exact same discussion about surgical vs. radiation. I, as a radio patient, wanted to take the opportunity to discuss with them (granted, they found our lunch table... I didn't go searching out their lunch table.... I guess we were the "cool kids" table) their thoughts on radio treatments whereas most of them do surgical procedures.  They were more than eager to discuss, what they believe to be the best procedures as its procedures they do (hence, as noted around the forums of "doctor bias".... tout what they do or know).... yet, they seemed opened minded enough to note radio if they felt it was warranted.  It was great to have them in a "relaxed" environment (ie: stuffing our faces over lunch) to have them sit back and talk these things with us .... and in our discussions, there was no right or wrong answer.... just professional perspectives based on their AN treatment experiences yet, open-minded enough to hear out the radio discussion (especially since they had a radio "success story" talking with them, ie: me).

I have always noted about obtaining as many dr opinions in this journey (or any other medical journey) to learn, from a medical professional as much as we can (which james shared with us here... and I thank him)..... and to discuss with patient referrals (ie: either obtained through the potential treating facilities or through venues like this forum, etc).  To me, knowledge is power in helping to take control of our own well-beings. All we can do is hope that the post-treatment outcomes, regardless of what one chooses, will be good.... and heck, we're all here to cheer on anyway! :)

I had coffee this am..... the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 09:29:10 am »
When I use the term radiation, I mean it in a generic sense. I was just a kid when this happened to me. My mother was a nurse, and informed about the modern methods of treatment in the 50's. I can't tell you anything else about the  type of radiation. It was done to me several times, and I can remember being scared to death. My tumors were found by a doctor in a routine exam by just feeling my neck glands. There was no physical sensation to me.

I was "this close" to doing the radiation for this treatment, and there are lots of people here that have had great luck with it. There were at least two reasons I chose against it, and I am satisfied with my decision. My wife has been having the same stress I have been suffering with over how to have this treated. Making the choice has been harder than  the wonky headed feelings I have. This is a personal choice. Without this forum, I probably would not have made such an informed choice. I'm fortunate to have found a doctor that I trust, and fortunate that I found you guys bouncing lots of ideas around. Food for the brain.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 09:48:21 am »
I think this is the article by Dr. Battista that Marianna is referring to:

http://www.keepingyouwell.com/News/NewsArticle/tabid/191/ItemID/3304/srcmid/71292/Default.aspx

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 02:48:55 pm »
Yes, Jan it is. I have read the entire document. It is very thorough, I think it is one of the best review articles that have been published, as it takes into account all the work that has been published previously by many groups, spanning many years and involving a large number of patients.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.