Author Topic: 3 months post op Middle Fossa  (Read 3030 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
3 months post op Middle Fossa
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:04:21 pm »
Well, I just updated my blog again.   The last few weeks I've actually started to feel back to normal!!   

Had an appointment with neurotologist Monday and he said I'm actually doing great for the fact I had a good amount of brain swelling post surgery, plus the delayed facial paralysis.    Of course, SSD in left ear, and the past few weeks tinnitus has gotten a bit worse, but does come and go so I can deal with it for now.

Noisy situations are the hardest for sure.  BUT, I MUST be feeling better!!  I said even just a few weeks ago "no way would I think of BAHA....another surgery", BUT, low and behold, I seriously am.   To the point of doing a consultation with the audiologist and signing a form to have her and the doctor write a letter to the insurance company.   Basically get the ball rolling, no commitment.   They let me know how the time runs for those situations.  Plus, since I live 3 1/2 hours away, I could do everything then, but nothing would be set until after I decide (which for sure would be after hearing from insurance company).

I also am still researching some about the TransEar too.   Just not much of that around.  Much newer for sure.

Thanks again for all the support, e-mails, messages, phone calls, cards, prayers and EVERYTHING I've had over the past 3 months.   I have to say I truley enjoy this site, even if it's mostly just 'lurking' around.

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: 3 months post op Middle Fossa
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:30:04 am »
Heyyy Denise, wow....you sound like you are DEFINITELY doing a lot better!! I was worried about ya there in the early days...so this is good news indeed!! Let us know how that BAHA thing works out, I do hope your insurance will listen and let their purse strings loose! :) Take care and good to hear from you!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:03:15 pm »
Denise ~

Thanks for the positive update.  I'm pleased to learn that you're doing so well after some early post-op struggles and now, seriously contemplating becoming a BAHA customer!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 04:17:24 pm »
Denise,

Great to hear you are doing so well! 

I'm also looking into the Baha right now.  I figure I have already been through this much, I might as well go through one more little procedure if it will make my life easier.  I have made up my mind, at least 98%, so hopefully at my appointment next week I can get the ball rolling too.  It looks like you and I might be going through another thing around the same time again.   :D

Lyn

9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:18:08 pm »
Hey Denise! thanks for this update and I'm thrilled to hear that things are progressing well.... and that you are now pursuing hearing devices (ie: BAHA, Transear, etc).  Sending wellness wishes to you.... and hang in there... I think you know my mantra "day by day, inch by inch....".  I'm cheering you on!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 05:34:23 pm »
Denise -

BAHA surgery after AN surgery made me hesitate too, but others on the Forum who went before me reassured me that the two are absolutely, completely different - and they didn't lie.

The BAHA implant is done on an outpatient basis (no hospital stay is required - at least not in the states; I know Jo had a different experience in Canada) and you usually have your choice of general or local anesthesia, depending on your doctor.

I had mine with local and it was pretty much like getting a filling at the dentist.  A little pressure, the sound of a drill, etc., but nothing major.  I'd do it again tomorrow if I had to.

I highly recommend the BAHA to everyone I know who is SSD.  It's been a Godsend for me.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 10:53:33 am »
Lyn, It must be about that 3-4 month post op time some SSD people start looking at devices.  I've heard via email and even FB of a few others thinking the same thing  ;D

Thanks guess for the thoughts and support too!

Phyl, I Do know your mantra!   Have to say, for awhile mine was more "day by day, hour by hour".   Thankfully I think I can take away the 'hour by hour" part :-)   Keeping "day by day" though  ;D

This research and opinions makes me almost feel like I'm back to the pre-surgical decision making time.   Doing my research and getting many opinions, etc.
Actually I'm going to start another topic for the devices and see what input I get there.    I think topics can be helpful for others too in the same situations.     I do say though I tend to get more emails with peoples personal opinions, but truly wish they would also share them on the forums.    (For instance, I started one on Facebook....no replies on the topic page, but got 3 personal messages in regards to opinions.......that may help me, but I want it to help others too)   

So, people like Jan....thanks for actually posting your opinion and stuff on your BAHA on the pages!!

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 03:43:33 pm »
Denise .....

I have not been on the forum much recently ..... but so glad to learn you are at last coming out of that tunnel you were in ..... you sound SO much better than the early post-op days!  That is wonderful!!  Keep up the good work ..... but stay off the skates for awhile.   :o

Cannot add anything about the BAHA, but it certainly sounds worth exploring for you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011