Author Topic: More news  (Read 9437 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: More news
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 08:57:48 am »
Cheryl -

OMG!  Three breaks, a rod, and a plate!  That sounds a lot worse than I imagined.

Hope his recovery goes well for him - and for you.  Get out of the house on occasion and let someone "babysit".  Being a caregiver is no picnic and often men are the worst patients (no offense, guys!) especially when they are used to being active.

Best  :-*

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 01:38:58 pm »
Cheryl ~

Thanks for the update on your husband's hip surgery.  I'm glad it went well but sorry that it had to be so extensive.

I have to agree with Jan that some guys (ahem) can be 'bears' when confined at home and unable to fend for themselves.  Take a break when you can and I hope that this unfortunate incident does help Mark gain a better perspective on the stresses of a long recuperation.  I trust you folks will get through this O.K.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 03:58:42 pm »
Cheryl,

Glad to hear the surgery is over with and I hope he has a quick recovery (for his sake, as well as yours!   ;)).

At least by the time he is ready to be up and at 'em, the weather should be getting better so I'm sure that will be incentive for him to progress.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 10:42:41 pm »
I have to agree with Jan that some guys (ahem) can be 'bears' when confined at home and unable to fend for themselves. 

In all fairness, women aren't always the best patients either.  I was one of the "bears" Jim refers to during my AN recovery - just ask my mother who was my major caregiver  ::)  I'm used to doing things for myself and was very frustrated by my "limitations" and fatigue post op.

You'll get through this, Cheryl. 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 07:22:42 am »
Cheryl,

thanks soooo much for keeping us updated. You KNOW I'm cheering on that spouse of your's.  Healing hugglez to that man... and sending you some as well to help the cause.

"day by day, inch by inch....".... you've heard me tout that too much around here, but it holds true.

xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

suboo73

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 09:20:20 pm »
Cheryl,

I was so sorry to read about Mark's fall!  How is he doing now?

I know it will take some time for recovery - so hang in there!

All my wishes for a speedy recovery for Mark.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Cheryl R

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 10:31:55 am »
Sue and all,   Mark is doing real good.    He may not say so as there is still pain but he gets around the house well and has the typical post op doings that we know very well.    Sleeps fair, some pain and that lack of appetite issue which is improving.    He is not used to being home much as does handyman jobs besides his grain elevator job so that will be the hard one in time.   We've had visitors and more desserts sent than need and appreciate how those he helps thinks of us.     He can be very impatient so think this is a wake up call!      I know too well how long it can be till feel right so understand more than some might.        My day by day keeps on!                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 04:34:02 pm »
Cheryl ~

Thanks again for the update on your 'patient'.  :)

I can understand why an active man would not be entirely comfortable being mostly confined to the house.  I suspect that I'm nowhere near as active as your husband and I chafed at being limited when I first came home from the hospital following my AN surgery.   Still, it's good to learn that Mark is healing and that he'll be a bit more careful from now on.  This kind of accident and recuperation can have that effect.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 05:07:53 pm »
Coming to this late ...hoping for a speedy recovery for Mark and sending you hugs ...

my husband will stagger to a tractor and climb on when sick as a dog ... even when he had pneumonia becasue he can't stand to be cooped up...

he was suppose to be in bed ...deal he worked out with doctor is he would go on bed rest at home  and take meds because he refused to go  into hospital ... he went on doing farm stuff that others offered to do for him ...he didn't stop til he was semi concious and couldn't move other than between bed and bathroom ...

hoping your Mark is not as stubborn and hardheaded as Bo ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Goldie

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 06:14:53 pm »
Thanks for the update, Cheryl.  Think of you and Mark often and hope things get a little better each day for you both!  Hang in there!

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

moe

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 11:59:07 pm »
Cheryl,
Just now reading. Glad to hear he had everything put back in it's place. He is in good hands with nursey wife, but make sure you let him know when it is YOUR nap time!
Take time for yourself. I'm sure he will be crawling the walls, with no weight bearing.
Time for some good DVD's! Guy stuff. The 6th element- the men in my family loved that one.
Take care now,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Cheryl R

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 10:22:47 pm »
Luckily Mark is the tv and movie person here, I am not.    He has been given several DVDs to watch and has been.   The first batch was some old Roy Rogers ones.        We have a Dish too and he likes the history channel and discovery channel.    So far so good with taking it easy and not too grouchy.       He has good right to be now.             But yes Soundy, he can be very stubborn and not use help at times when should.            I think though he will be careful now to avoid even more problems in the future and not be back to normal eventually.         Time will tell!            I am doing ok and adjusting to him being home.
                                                    Cheryl R                 
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 07:31:30 am »
Cheryl -

glad you and your patient are doing well.

Jan

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 01:03:09 pm »
Cheryl,

Wow, a girl goes away for awhile and gosh a lot goes on while she is gone!  So sorry to read about  Mark's accident.  Sounds like he is in good hands, especially with you by his side. 

Take care,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Cheryl R

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 10:35:02 pm »
Mark is doing as well as one can be for only a little over 2 weeks for a broken hip.    He saw the surgeon today and he is doing well.  He had some pain behind the knee just lately but the dr did not think it was a DVT.     He really is doing well with doing alot for himself.       He still has to be no wt bearing for 4 more weeks but does well with the crutches.   Has to be reminded like many of us have been that it is not that long past surgery and it will get better.   He will now start doing a little therapy to help the leg.
  I can not imagine, Cheri, what it would have been like to have your husband completely helpless.             We've caught on fast to our little routines and ways to have things handy for him.                             I am just so grateful that this was not at the start of winter when he let me out at a door when went somewhere and snowy and now it's his turn.     
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08