Author Topic: pre surgery menu  (Read 3186 times)

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
pre surgery menu
« on: February 25, 2010, 06:24:31 am »
My surgery is coming up March 24 with Dr Vrabec in Houston. I have not talked with him about this, because I just started thinking about it. What is a good menu prior to  a long surgery? How do I say this...my toilet habits are very regular, but I'm a little afraid that the morning of surgery, I might have enough anxiety, that I might not have to go. Any good ideas?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: pre surgery menu
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 06:59:51 am »
Hi james

I have added your surgical date to our AN Calendar (http://www.my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d24/03/2010?authenticate=&display=M&style=B) so we can all cheer you on that day in our very special way! :) 

My PCP gave me a terrific, all-natural way of ensuring that I "go" when I run into issues.  The night before.... take 8oz prune juice, add a tsp of honey, heat in microwave for 30-45 secs to warm it up and drink. Guaranteed to "go" the next am with ease.

I know some on this site that used this remedy when steroids and such have "bound" them up.  Just a suggestion to help the cause.

Hang in there! :)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

grega

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:39:48 am »
Hi James,

Have a good meal the night before and don't worry about what you're worrying about .... that's important since, during surgery when you're "under", your body is not really resting, but will be using a lot of stored energy.  I was told this but don't fully understand why .... probly cause of the anesthetic or something  ???

I didn't feel hungry for several days, and gradually went from couple days of sipping water to Italian ice to soild foods.  Perhaps that's why so many say that the three days after surgery are the toughest.  (But I did lose a bit of weight ....HAHA!)

Hopefully, others with better knowledge will be able to chime in on this.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:10:24 pm »
James ~

I have to admit that I never gave a thought to my diet or bowel habits in the days/hours before my surgery and no medical professional I saw during my pre-op testing ever said anything about them.  Like you, I'm very 'regular' and didn't experience any problems during or after my almost-9 hour surgery.  I didn't have a BM during my 5 days in the hospital and this was never mentioned by the doctors or nurses, so I assume it isn't unusual or something they monitor very closely.  I did experience a fairly impressive BM within 48 hours of returning home from the hospital and assumed this was just my digestive system readjusting itself to my normal diet and schedule. 

I trust that you'll be fine but Phyl's elimination-inducing, pre-surgery 'cocktail' seems to be potent and will very likely clear out your alimentary canal quiite efficiently, should you opt to try it. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:53:31 pm »
The warm prune juice and even just plain works well for many.       If you don't go, your body will be on hold usually post op for a couple days and the pain  meds usually slow down most people.          I am the opposite though with Vicodan.              I am surprised Jim Scott that you weren't questioned about it as we always did on a post op pt.        I know it can be a worry but you might be fine with nothing special that am before.
                                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 04:16:06 pm »
I am surprised Jim Scott that you weren't questioned about it as we always did on a post op pt.

Cheryl ~

My memory may be faulty - this is almost 4 years ago - but if I was asked about my bowel movements, because I was always 'regular' the subject was not pursued, hence it didn't seem important to me.   I suspect that if I had answered "I haven't had a BM in 5 days" the subject would have quickly grown in importance to the doctor and nurses I saw. 

Ironically, I had lost copious amounts of weight prior to my diagnosis and surgery due to my AN-induced loss of the sense of taste.  My wife was a bit concerned that, post-op, I didn't seem to gain much of it back (I was fine with it).  I accompanied her on her regular visit to her gastroenterologist (she suffers from Crohn's disease) and she mentioned this to him.  He asked me if I was 'regular'.  I replied "yes".  He then asked me when I had my last BM.  I replied "today".  He said I was fine and told my wife that she shouldn't be concerned as long as I didn't start involuntarily losing weight.  I didn't, although I've managed to keep my weight at a very reasonable level since my AN surgery and radiation.  My PCP told me that once I jettisoned the extra weight I was carrying (30+ pounds) my metabolism likely 'reset' to what was normal for me (BMI - 21.9) and added that he wished all his patients over 60 could maintain a normal weight.  To date, I remain 'regular' and I'm grateful for that, among many other things.  :)

Jim                                          
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

james e

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 05:55:18 pm »
I really don't have any extra weight to lose...5' 10", 172 lbs. I work out every day and have very little body fat. I'm very careful about what I eat. I'll probably have some salmon, asparagus, rice and some salad. My wife wants me to gain some weight prior to the surgery, because she knows I probably will not eat very much for a while.

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:43:37 am »
I ate all my favorite foods the night before surgery and a snack at 11:50 pm....because i couldn't eat after midnight and at 12:30 I was starving!!! I never even gave it a thought. I didn't eat for 8 days after surgery and lost 20 lbs...I don't have 20 lbs to lose and I was very weak and had a lot of pt to gain my strength. I agree with your wife...bulk up a little if you can. Of course the steroids I took post surgery made me eat like mad!! (after the first 8 days). I quickly gained back those 20 lbs and then some over the next few months.

I remember getting meds to jumpstart my system and things quickly went back to normal.

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

epc1970

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 11:12:12 am »
James
I like you am on the leaner side and I think your wife's suggestions to try to gain some weight may not be a bad idea. I only gained 2 or 3 pounds intentionally pre surgery but quickly lost about 7 pounds which on my frame is alot so it was good to have gained a couple of extra pounds ahead of time.  I don't think it matters what you eat prior to surgery but rather when you eat it. I'm sure you have been given a cut off for eating/drinking liquids-make sure you adhere to that. Post surgically, you may have BM issues due  to pain meds. I was not allowed out of the hospital until I had my 1st BM which thankfully came quickly!  It may be a good idea to stock up on Phyl's tried and true remedy and Senna-a natural,vegetable laxative-that you can pick up at any drugstore in case you have any post op issues.
Erin

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:37:35 am »
James,

I can't really help with the diet thing as it was the last of my worries going into surgery.  Somehow, I don't think it will be a major problem.

I really wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum because I also used Dr. Vrabek almost 2 years ago now..  He's a stellar doctor with an excellent reputation.  Very calm, cool and collected..  You're in good hands.  Is Dr. Trask assisting or is it someone else?  They were both my doctors but my "lead" doctor was Dr. Vrabek.  Kathy's great, isn't she?

Good luck on your upcoming surgery..  If I can help in any way, let me know..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 12:09:45 pm »
James -

I wouldn't worry about the pre op menu.  Just make sure you don't eat - or drink - after the appointed time; eating too close to being anesthesized is a HUGE no-no.  (I work for nurse anesthetists.  Can you tell?  :) )

Post op some docs "prescribe" something to help with the bowels.  Mine had me taking Colace, which is an OTC stool softener - because straining post op is something you should avoid at all costs.  Sorry to be so graphic  :-[

This sounds like one of those things that hospitals and docs differ on.  My hospital wouldn't let me go home until I had my first BM.

I lost lots of weight post op.  Originally I had lots of nausea, and then when I could physically eat, I had no inclination to.  My son brought a Hershey bar to the hospital.  I looked at it for days and then finally brought it home with me unopened.  Normally it wouldn't have lasted an hour  :D  I also had metallic mouth post op, which didn't help a lot.

Sadly, I gained all my weight back - I think that most of us do once we get back to our normal routine.  So don't let your wife fatten you up too much  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 01:51:06 pm »
You might want to be cautious about "bulking up" pre-surgery with the assumption that you're not going to be eating very much afterwards. I'm not overweight, but I had thought that one of the benefits of surgery would be that I would indeed lose the five or so pounds that most of us could stand to lose under normal circumstances.

I was wrong. I didn't have any post-surgery nausea and -- I suppose because of the steroids -- was ravenous almost as soon as I woke up in ICU. I devoured the jello and pudding they gave me near the end of my 24-hour stay in ICU, and remember asking if I'd be able to eat some solid food as soon as I got to my regular room. I "cleaned my plate" at every meal while I was in the hospital. I remember my husband's amazement at how eagerly I awaited those meal trays.

When I went for my final doctor visits before returning home, I mentioned to Dr. Stefan (the internist at House) that I had been counting on losing a little weight while I was there, and he said that lots of people expect to do so .... but it doesn't always happen!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

lori67

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 02:42:26 pm »
Much like Pooter, my pre-surgery meal was about the furthest thing from my mind.  Well, as far as it being good for me or helpful in any way.  I was more concerned about making sure it was a good one - and I don't necessarily mean good in a healthy way!  I had all my favorites and went out for ice cream for dessert.  I really had no expectations regarding weight loss or gain, as I hadn't found this forum yet and had no idea what to expect.  Sometimes, ignorance is bliss!   ;D

I made sure I ate and drank right up until 11:59pm.  Why is it that when you are allowed to eat breakfast, it's not really a big deal if you miss it or have it later, but when they tell you not to eat, you wake up at 3am feeling like you're starving to death?

I lost a little bit of weight - maybe between 5 and 10 lbs after surgery.  It wasn't a lack of appetite, but more the facial paralysis that was a little tricky to figure out for me.  But, where there's a will, there's a way and it didn't take me long to figure out a way to eat what I wanted.

Good luck!
Lori
p.s.  Jan, if you haven't eaten that Hershey bar yet, can I have it?   :)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

james e

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 03:05:57 pm »
Pooter,

You were one of the reasons that I met with Dr. Vrabec. I live in the Austin area, and as far as I can tell, nobody here has the qualifications for this type of work.  Dr Trask is the other surgeon. I feel like I'm in good hands.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 04:51:47 pm »
James,

Great that I was able to subliminally suggest Drs. Vrabek and Trask.  You are definitely in good hands with them!  They're great!  I have family in Austin and frequently visit there, so where abouts are you in the area?  Maybe next time I'm up there, we can meet up..  Or, maybe if/when you come for a pre-op visit we can hook up..  Your choice.

"Melsbrock" (Monica) is also in the Austin area and is just beginning to do research into Austin-area doctors...  See here:  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11857.0.

Perhaps she could pick your brain about your experiences with Austin doctors...  Maybe you'll PM (private message) her?

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager