Author Topic: New to the forum and surgery on 11th of march  (Read 6603 times)

blanc

New to the forum and surgery on 11th of march
« on: March 01, 2010, 09:56:06 am »
Dear all,
I was daignosed late 2008 with a left AN 18mm.  It has since grown more than 30% to about 2.4cm. My hearing is really bad on the left,continiously loud titinus and i loose my balance often. Surgery is next week on the 11th of march and i must say i,m worried sick.
My surgery will be at the Boston medical center (Dr Jalisi & Dr Lawrence Chin). I have researched the forum and can,t find anything on boston medical center or my medical team. Am i just being overworried.
Blandine

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: New to the forum and surgery on 11th of march
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:17:42 am »
Hi Blandine and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your AN diagnosis but glad you found us.  Many of us based in the Metro Boston/New England area. I know BMC just got their Cyberknife radiation center (the ANA Boston support group did a tour of the CK center last year) and many of us here on the forums have used many of the facilities in Boston for treatments, such as MGH, Beth Israel, Brigham/Woman's, Tufts, etc. We know BMC is a terrific facitility. I am personally not familiar with Jalisi or Chin but you can try to do a MA License search for them on this site:

http://www.massmedboard.org/

It will guide you to do a search on them, accomplishments, potential malpractice, education, etc.

Again, welcome... we are here to help as best as we can!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:10:39 pm »
Hi Blandine,

I live nowhere near you, so it isn't suprising that I haven't heard of your doctors.  Phyl gave you a great link and there are many other ways to look into your doctors.  Lack of info on this board alone doesn't really mean much, I think. 

Good luck on your search for information and I wish you the best of luck finding something to ease your mind.  I think all of us that opted for surgery went into it pretty worried.  I was a nervous wreck the week before my surgery and it turned out fine for me.   I will send good vibes your way that your procedure is successful and your recovery is swift.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:10:54 pm »
Hello and welcome to the ANA website's Discussion Forums, Blandine ~

I can only echo Phyl's comments regarding the quality of the Boston Medical Center and it's doctors.  Although being anxious just prior to AN surgery is perfectly normal, you really don't have that much to worry about.  I believe you're in good hands - and you'll have a host of fellow AN patients cheering you and praying for you.  You'll do just fine, I'm sure.  :)

I've added your surgery date to our on-line AN Treatment Calendar http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d11/03/2010?authenticate=&display=M&style=B

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 04:19:07 pm »
Blandie
I am so happy that you reached out to our little part of cyberspace. I can't offer you info on your Drs as my surgery was on the West Coast but try not to worry too much about your surgery. You would not be normal if you were not  scared but I'm sure you will do great and it sounds like you have been on the forum so you probably at least a little of what to expect and more importantly, that many of us do just fine after AN surgery. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!
Erin

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 08:03:52 am »
Hi Blandine and welcome to the Forum  ;D

Good luck with your surgery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

blanc

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 01:43:14 pm »
Many thanks to all of you. It feels great to have such support and encouragement. Had my Pre-Anesthesia consult today.

tenai98

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 02:30:13 pm »
Hello and Welcome.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

moe

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 09:23:56 am »
Hi Blandine,
March 11 is just around the corner. You should be FINE. Your AN is still on the small/med side.
Stay busy, focused, exercise if you can, ask questions. We are here for you before,during and after it all.
Maureen :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

blanc

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 10:05:53 am »
Thanks Maureen and will keep you posted

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 09:46:15 am »
Rest well for your surgery.   We are here for you.  When you get out and feel up to it let us know how you are doing and if you have any questions!
Phyl sent you a good resource for Mass.    Keep in touch with your local group as well as this forum.

Good luck next week!!!
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Lizard

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 04:55:34 pm »
I wish you all the best with your surgery, I'm sure it will be successful. 
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

blanc

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 10:29:55 pm »
March here finally and surgery tomorrow at midday. But i will be at BMC at 10:30 am. Do keep me in your prayers. Thanks again for your support. Will keep you posted as soon as i can. 
blandine

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 10:45:42 pm »
Blandine .....

I somehow missed this thread until just now.  A very belated welcome to this forum.

Thoughts and prayers for tomorrow!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

joebloggs

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 01:17:20 am »
Good luck today Blandine!  I am celebrating my one year tumour removal anniversary today with loads of cake - just think in a year you'll be doing the same! 

Will be thinking of you xxx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!