Author Topic: March 2010 issues of ANA "Notes"  (Read 5620 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
March 2010 issues of ANA "Notes"
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:06:20 pm »
Just read the latest issue of Notes online.

Congrats to our very own Jim Scott on his article - good going and very well written, Jim  ;D

And also to Steve Gerrard and DHM on their new "appointment" as co-leaders of the local ANA group in Portland, OR.

It's so nice to see Forumites in the newsletter.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: March 2010 issues of ANA "Notes"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:48:50 am »
read it in the Member's Forum and saw the articles by our own fantastic Mods, Steve and Jim! Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Now time to get JoeF to write an article for Notes.........  :)

Congrats to Steve and Jim for their contributions to the Notes newsletter... and for ALL they do around here!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 07:54:58 am »
I think joef should write about the BAHA.

He was instrumental in my decision to get one.  He was very patient with my questions - some which were strange, I'm sure  ;D - and he was very reassuring.  Several others on the Forum, Ellis and Sam Rush among them, also helped in my decision and I'll be forever grateful to all of them.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:10:36 pm »
Jan, Phyl ~

Thanks for the kind words regarding my piece in the March edition of 'Notes'.  Too bad they had to use that terrible photo but I was told that the one I wanted to use (my avatar photo) wasn't acceptable due to having 'poor contrast' (or something like that).  I'm no movie star but my face is symmetrical and I usually don't squint....honest!  Oh well.   ;)

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:11:35 am »

Jim-I just read the new Notes last night-I really enjoyed your piece-it was really well written and I especially enjoyed your mention of your wonderful Tina. I have been lucky  to get to know her a little since we met at the last brunch and she is truly a gem!

Steve/DHM- I also enjoyed the piece about the Portland support group. I had my surgery at OHSU and visit Portland frequently each each to visit my brother, sister in law and new baby niece. Do you all allow AN'ers from back east to crash your meetings? If so, if one of my trips coincides with a meeting, I'd love to come!
Erin

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:33:35 am »
Erin,

We'd be happy to have you. If you are not careful, we might even make you our guest speaker!  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

epc1970

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:34:01 am »
Erin,

We'd be happy to have you. If you are not careful, we might even make you our guest speaker!  ;)

Steve

Oh dear...what have I gotten myself into???  :o

lori67

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:02:43 pm »
I haven't gotten my newsletter yet, but I can't wait to see Jim's picture!  Sounds like maybe they're trying to make you look more like those of us with facial issues - an unsymmetrical face and a squint!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 07:43:52 pm »
The newsletter also includes great information written by Dr Leonetti of Loyola concerning headaches.

Great job Jim, Hatman Steve, and DHM!

Capt Deb

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 07:34:48 am »
I haven't gotten my newsletter yet either, but being a ANA member allows you to view it online if you want.

I thought the picture of Jim was very good.

Jan

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 08:35:25 am »
I haven't gotten my newsletter yet either, but being a ANA member allows you to view it online if you want.

I thought the picture of Jim was very good.

Jan

Same here. Haven't received my "paper" copy of Notes yet, but, thrilled I saw it in the "Members" Section.  Again, another benefit of being a paid ANA member.... and even better, by viewing it online, you can help save the environment and go paperless and read it online. :)

Jim does look rather good in the pic, doesn't he? Same goes for Steve and DHM in their OR support group piccie.  Well done, all! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 08:14:23 am »
I wanted to add my own shout-out and "well done, mates" tp Steve, Hillary, and Jim.  You guys all embody what I feel the people on this forum are all about.  Thanks for stepping up and sharing your stories.

Debbi, cheering you on ;D
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Keri

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 07:07:50 am »
I was happy to see Jim, Steve and DHM in the newsletter as well. It was nice to hear from 'familiar' people. Makes us feel proud! Great articles too.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 04:35:06 pm »
Got my paper copy of the newsletter yesterday.  Yes, I realize I'm not "green".

Get yours yet, Lori??

Jan

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 08:22:28 am »
read it in the Member's Forum and saw the articles by our own fantastic Mods, Steve and Jim! Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Now time to get JoeF to write an article for Notes.........  :)

Congrats to Steve and Jim for their contributions to the Notes newsletter... and for ALL they do around here!

Phyl

I just finished reading the "notes" wow! Great Job to Steve and Jim ...

me ? write an article ?  ??? are you kidding ? LOL ....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital