Author Topic: Surgical Reports?  (Read 4202 times)

onebadass350bird

Surgical Reports?
« on: April 24, 2006, 06:54:11 am »
Pre Op, I didn't know much about surgery but since then it has come to my attention that surgeons and/or hospitals must legally furnish me with full surgical reports upon my request.  Has anyone had any experience with doing this?  How long did it take you to get it and how detailed are they and could you understand any of it?  Also, should there be two?, one for the neruosurgeon and one for the ENT surgeon.  Can anyone share any experiences with these?

Tom
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

Cheryl R

Re: Surgical Reports?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:15:04 am »
Your operative report is part of your chart at your surgeons office.      I have got copies of mine  and all you need to do is ask at your surgeons and they can give you a copy.       If you live a distance away and have to call for it,then you may have to have you sign a release to get it.  This is the same as if you were asking for any of your medical info, then they can send it to you or fax it to you.                It may take a few days for it to get on your chart so if one had surgery recently,you might have to wait.      I have mine already from my March 23rd surgery   and will ask for it from my CSF leak surgery done April 7 when go to get the stitches out this week.        I was interested in mine just because I am a nurse.                Getting an itemized copy of your bill is also interesting as it gives you some info about your surgical experience.
                                       Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:22:39 am »
Tom,

In agreement with Cheryl.  All dr's will release copies of your file (with written approval from you), including all films/reports, etc. If you just call your doc and request a copy of the file, they may have you sign a release form (they will fax to you, you sign and fax back if you are not nearby). I get copies of all files/reports for my records, so I can bring with me for 2nd opinions, etc. Always good to keep a copy on hand for your records.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

thecakes

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:54:17 am »
  I know so much more by reading these post.  I never thought of getting a surgical report or my MRI pics.  I feel cheated. :(

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:19:30 am »
Tom all you have to do is ask and they have to provide them.  In the state of Fl they can charge you up to 25.00 for this information but I've yet to have any of my doctors do that.  There will be terms you might now know if you aren't medically savy ( I am and still didn't know some)  You can look them up on the internet.  There are a few sites that allow you to input the word and it will give you the definition.  You will need to request one from marcos and one from teleschi.  I also requested mine from the hospital where I was treated.

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 10:06:30 am »
I asked the receptionist and she printed them out. I had previously called and was transferred to Records and was told there was a fee but the recep did it for free.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

matti

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 11:03:20 am »
I was able to get copies of all my reports and films by asking my neurosurgeon and ENT. Interesting to read through the detailed surgical reports and the step by step process that we undergo during our surgeries, scary yet amazing.

Matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

onebadass350bird

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 12:40:44 pm »
. I had previously called and was transferred to Records and was told there was a fee but the recep did it for free.

I got paperwork for a handicap tag, the rear view mirror type, and it came to my attention that in FL, there is a 20 or 25 dollar fee for getting one, lol.  People just can't stay out of other people's pockets can they?

Anyway, I was looking into getting my surgical reports cause aparrently the power went out during surgery at about hour 12 of 17,  I THINK it was out for 2-3 seconds until the backup generators came on.   I'm really curious to see if that's in the report, legally it should be right?

Tom

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 01:33:53 pm »
here the handicap tag is 15.00 and is only a temporary for 6 mos unless you can get your doctor to sign off for life. 

Why did the power go out?  I know there was hurricanes going on did that have anything to do with it? 

I would expect anything out of the ordinary to be documented that occured during surgery.  Have you requested your records yet?  I got mine from the hospital that did my surgery but my doc is also in that hospital so unsure if you'd call the hospital or telischi's office.  Either way one of them will have them and send them to you upon request.  You need to specify if you want to include mri's, cat scans labs etc...

onebadass350bird

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 03:20:23 pm »
There is no reason that I know of for the power going out, surgery was on the 19th of Oct and Wilma didn't come through till like the 23rd or 24th.  As far as I know, the 19th was clear skies.

Tom

Raydean

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 03:21:17 pm »
To add to the other postings.  Most Hospitals place fees on the reports.  We chose to  request that copies of the surgical reports  be sent to both our family doctor and treating doctor.   From there we'd request a copy from the Doctor, which was done at no charge.  

Along these same lines when Chet was required  by Social Sec. Disability to see a Doctor for evaluation, I requested that copies  of the evaluation be sent to our family doctor, who then provided me with a copy.  I don't think that I would of been able to get  otherwise.

I learned alot from the reports, it may take looking up some medical terms but over all well worth the time invested in order to understand.  But best remark was from the neurosurgeon during the residual surgery who states  "finding a free floating screw"  Yup, I'm probably the only sprouse that has it in black and white, and on good authority that my husband had a screw loose. <g>

Best to all
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 03:23:46 pm »
I just got my surgical report a few days ago from HEI--3 yrs after the fact. I found out the exact size of the little bugger--1cmx7mmx6mm. That was the size on the pathology report--I don't know if that was the size of the actual tumor, that's the size they sent to the lab. The S. R. also said it was protruding 6mm into the CP angle--apparently the little critter was deciding to crawl out of the IAC. Yikes!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 06:01:26 pm »
Oh Raydean...you def. made me smile with that one!
I sent the card in to get my med reports from social security after I see the doc next week.  Should prove to be enlightening.