Author Topic: Hello and Thank You  (Read 3209 times)

Dayton

Hello and Thank You
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:27:37 am »
Hello all.

My wife was diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma just before Christmas.   We too experienced the worry and concern of the unknown.  One of the items given to us by our family doctor at the time was an ANA booklet.  We visited the website and found the information invaluable in helping to decide our approach in dealing with the tumor (radiation or surgery).  We also found the discussion forum and, while we were hesitant to post, we did follow along with some of the members that are having or have had similar experiences and their outcomes. You provide a great resource.

We were advised to avoid radiation due to my wife’s age and the size (almost 3cm) and location of her tumor.  We opted for the safest surgical approach given to us.  She had the Translab approach surgery in February at the University of Cincinnati Hospital with Dr.’s Myles Pensak and Philip Theodosopolous.  I am happy to report that just 4 weeks post op she is doing great.  She has lost her hearing on the left side, but that is a result of the approach taken and we knew that would be the case.  She has a little dry eye (relieved with over the counter eye drops) but full facial function.  To look at her, you can’t tell she had anything done (and it’s only been a month).  We know our results are considered “best case scenario” and realize we are very fortunate. 
Thank you to the ANA for helping us through this.  We know the road ahead will still have its up and downs but we’re informed and prepared.  We’d be happy to answer any questions other “newbies” may have regarding our experience with the tumor or our choice of providers.

While life after the tumor is different, it is still life.  It’s the new normal, make the most of it.

Thanks again,

Dan

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Hello and Thank You
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:32:26 am »
Dan,
  Thanks for the update.  It's always good to hear about good results.  All of us here have been though it and know how mentally taxing an AN diagnosis can be.  Please give our regards to your wife.  Things will continue to get better from here on.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:35:49 am »
Welcome to this forum, Dan and wife  :D .....

Glad things went so well.  Let us know how things are continuing.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

knakag01

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:48:49 am »
Hello,

Thank YOU so much for your encouraging post! I am having translab surgery in May. It is great to hear of your wife's smooth recovery!

Take care,
Kim
Kim
1.9cm x 1.2cm AN Right side
Diagnosed 11/09
Translab with Dr. Jackler @ Stanford on 5/20/10
Facial Paralysis (temp) & SSD Right side, some balance issues but not as bad as I thought :)

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 12:13:54 pm »
THANKS for sharing your good outcome - I am sure that it will help others along the way!

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 12:57:52 pm »
Congratulations and we all hope she continues her recovery. My tumor was discovered right before Christmas, and it is coming out next Wednesday. I hope I can follow her excellent results.

James

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 01:36:02 pm »
Dan ~

Let me hasten to add my appreciation for your message, which I'm sure will give hope and confidence to those contemplating AN surgery anytime soon. 

I'm very pleased to learn of your wife's excellent surgical outcome, and, as an AN surgery patient who had a similar (good) surgical experience, I want to congratulate her and commend you for your support, which, I believe is critical.  I'm also pleased to learn that you both found the ANA website and the discussion forums a useful resource, because, as you know, that is their intent.

We look forward to reading your future posts and progress reports on your wife. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 04:03:20 pm »
Dayton,

GREAT udpate!  I love hearing about these experiences with surgery!  I look forward to continued positive updates on how she's doing...  Congratulations and welcome to you both to the forum!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 10:40:07 pm »
A belated welcome to you!! I am very glad to hear everything turned out great for you guys!  Just know that you can always post on here if you need to vent or have furhter questions.  Take care and good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 11:10:11 pm »
Dayton -

welcome to the Forum and a big congratulations to your wife on her surgery.

I met Dr. Pensak @ the 2009 ANA Symposium and he's a great doctor.  He's also "pro-BAHA"; in fact he gave a talk on it that was very informative.

When your wife is ready to look into options for her SSD (single-sided deafness), she shouldn't hesitate to talk BAHA with Dr. Pensak.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 03:41:08 pm »
HI Dan,

I haven't been on much lately and am just reading about your wife's surgery for the first time.  I'm very happy to hear she had such a wonderful surgical outcome!  We like hearing good news!!!!  You're right about the new normal thing.  Life is always what you make it.

Wishing you both the best,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 04:57:29 pm »
Dan,

I'm even later than Wendy in responding!   :-[

Congratulations on your wife's great outcome!  That is great news!  Always good to hear about the success stories to remind others that it's not all doom and gloom!

I hope her "ups" outnumber her "downs" and she continues to heal and get back to her regularly scheduled life.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.