Author Topic: My MRI images  (Read 3974 times)

sybil

My MRI images
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:13:15 pm »
I decided to start a new thread for this since my last one has grown quite lengthy.   Thanks to my teenage daughter, I think I may be able to get my images on here.  I would be sooooo technologically backwards if it weren't for my kids!  Well, here goes!

http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/uu283/FliegexWeg/?action=view&current=Brain4.jpg&newest=1

http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/uu283/FliegexWeg/?action=view&current=Brain7.jpg&newest=1

http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/uu283/FliegexWeg/?action=view&current=brain3.jpg&newest=1

So, that's what I got. There were no remarks made in the report regarding that white marble. None.  It read, "No abnormal intracranial enhancement is visualized."  Should I assume that is normal event though it is only on the one side, or should I point it out to my next doc?  I'm wondering if I should have even lloked at this!

Well, thanks again everyone!

Doodlette

Re: My MRI images
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:23:00 pm »
That's really something...I can see why people are telling me to tread carefully looking at my MRI pics tomorrow. I'd see that white spot and immediately assume an AN.

I'd just say to the doc, hey, I saw a white thing on one side of my MRI...what is that? Maybe take a printout and point to it.

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:44:00 pm »
Well, I can see why you might think something is there.

To really assess it, though, you need to be able to scroll through all of the images of the MRI. A few more slices ahead or behind that one, you might see something similar on the other side. Often the head is not perfectly aligned in the MRI machine, so that matching spots on both sides aren't always on the same slice. I have to assume that is what the radiologist did, and that what appears to be something worth remarking on is in fact perfectly normal.

It will be interesting to hear the final verdict.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:23:17 pm »
I'm with Steve in that it would really be most helpful to see the slices before and after because it's really the succession of slices that you can see what's really there (or not) and what may be just a blur on that slice when it was taken...

There are exceptions to that rule..  See here:

When I first saw my MRI in the doctor's office, I think I said, "I'm not a doctor or radiologist, but THAT doesn't belong there."

If there is a large "mass" (as mine was) there will be very little doubt even to the untrained eye that something is where it shouldn't be.  Smaller ones are trickier and usually require more expertise to see them.

One thing did stick out to me on your images..  Notice in mine (at least this slice) is much higher up than the ones you posted.  I'm not trained in reading MRI scans, but common sense tells me that in the pics that you posted, you're out of the IAC area and more towards the bottom of your ear..  That's not to say that what you see there isn't SOMEthing, but I highly doubt that it's an AN.  Couple that with the report that says "No abnormal intracranial enhancement is visualized" then I hasten to say that what you're seeing is probably not of consequence.  But, I'm not a doctor.. you need to get his "read" on it..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:39:55 pm »
To give you an idea of why you need a trained professional to read an MRI..  Look at this slice of my MRI:

This was taken AFTER my surgery (a year after the fact, actually)..  It's closer to the bottom of my ear (very similar to yours).  Being untrained in MRI reading, I can see several things on both sides that look a little odd and don't have a corresponding "spot" on the other.  But, I'm pretty confident that my tumor was totally resected during surgery.

See what I mean?

Regards,
Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

sybil

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:43:50 am »
Thanks guys. It would not be possible to put all 345 images on here, and believe me, I have looked through them all front to back to front. There is nothing before or after these slices that looks at all similar to the marble.  Now, do I want an AN? Of course not!  However, there is something that has been progreesively getting worse in my body for many years, and I'm on my way to doc number 4 to try and figure it out.

I think it will be key for me to find a doctor I trust and that I believe has my best interest in mind. If he/she tells me my mri is good, then I can accept that. This last doc hasn't made me feel warm and fuzzy at all! Condescending and crazy, maybe.

Sadly, my doctor trust is very low. (and I am an RN student, lol!)  History -  One of my kids has a serious lumg disease that was misdiagnosed for seven years! We were in and out of the hospital every three to five weeks with "severe upper respiratory infections".  As a young mother, I trusted her ped. Finally, I had had enough and found a great pulmo on the other side of the state. After 2 or 3 surgeries, 6 or 7 meds a day, plus bi-pap at nigt, and daily neb treatments,  she has grown, gained weight, has color, and plays sports!! As a matter of fact, she is now healthier than anyone else in our house.  And, my older daughter started to feel poorly. I was pushy this time. It took 9 months and eleven doctors to diagnose her with endometriosis. The poor kid had everything done from ct to colonoscopy! One doctor prescribed her anti-depressants and told her it was all in her head. She was smart enough at fifteen to not take them and respond with, "If I am depressed, maybe it's because no one can figure out what's wrong with me or even believes me!"

Anyway, I guess if I seem overly concerned or aggressive, this is why.  There are days I wonder if I should even be driving!  Brian, it is intersting what you said about the marble thing being lower. I will definately remember that.  Maybe it's just a pocket of air or something I lodged up my nose as a kid.  With the way my body feels everyday and three kids that depend on me, I don't want anything overlooked!

I so appreciate all of the feedback. You guys may not be docs, but you are far more knowledgeable in this area than me!! And the support is nice too! ;)

moe

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:44:56 am »
Thanks Brian,
very interesting. Good luck Sybil!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sybil

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 07:47:55 am »
Oh, and Brian, that's quite an mri you got there. I don't feel so bad about my little marble now!

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 01:50:11 pm »
Sybil,

I applaud your efforts of finding out what's wrong with you and being so determined based on history with your own children's health issues.  I think it's wise to get another "read" of you MRI and if that one comes back "clear" then move on to something else.  Based on the slices you did provide, it's not clear (at least to me) that there is an AN present because we aren't looking at the right slices (in my opinion)..  That's not to say there isn't something else there in a different spot.  Good luck in finding out what it is..

Oh, and yeah, I had an impressive little plum eh?  I like to joke with a buddy of mine that we went out golfing and he lodged a golfball in my head so I had to have it surgically removed.  :)

Regards,
Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 08:32:56 pm »
My take -  I'd go with the radiologist's assessment of the MRI results.

Although ANs can be misdiagnosed (or not diagnosed at all) for many, many years - once an MRI with contrast is done, this is rarely the case.

That's one of the reasons we always tell people who suspect they have an AN to get a MRI with contrast.  It's the only definitive way to diagnose (or rule out) an AN.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways