Author Topic: Need words of encouragement please  (Read 6157 times)

lauralynn

Need words of encouragement please
« on: March 26, 2010, 12:34:51 am »
Hello everyone,

I know I haven't been here in a while.  I have w/held from posting because I hate to discourage anyone that is also struggling in their recovery.  So those of you struggling, please forgive me for posting this.  To those of you who may remember me...I need some help please.  A couple months ago I had a boost in my energy level.  It only lasted a week.  I really thought it was the turning point in my recovery.  I was so excited and then after a week I was back to feeling exhausted all the time again.  I have no idea why I had the change in my energy level...i didn't do anything different.  Why did I have to lose that energy?  I'm trying so hard to stay positive...but somedays I just want to give up.  I have 5 reasons I don't give up - my four children and my bestfriend/boyfriend.  I struggle everyday w/ fatigue, eye issues (due to the gold weight), eating is a struggle...don't enjoy eating anymore...pretty much force myself to eat, my lips are always dry, the metallic taste in my mouth has become worse in the last month, I just noticed this the other day...sometimes when I blink, my left upper lip moves at the same time, I can't close my mouth and my job requires me to talk all day and at the end of the day I don't want to talk anymore because my face and mouth are so exhausted.  I hate how I look though everyone tells me I look great and my face issues aren't that noticeable.  I got written up at work because I had to go to the eye doctor the other day.  My year anniversary for my surgery will be April 14th.  I thought by now my energy would be way better and I'd have some feeling in my face/mouth and eye.  I've been seeing a counselor since this past July because of the surgery and how it has affected my life.  Well my company changed my schedule recently and now I am not able to see my counselor.  And she was staying at the office late just to see me.  Those of you who had large AN's please tell me that there is hope for me.  Again newbee's please forgive me for writing such a negative post.  Hopefully my next post will be a positive one.

Your AN Friend,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

GRACE1

Re: Need words of encouragement please
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:04:41 am »
Laura Lynn (I love your name),

I feel bad for all that you have been going through.  I can't offer any insight into surgery since I had GK, but I can be concerned about you.

It really blows that you got written up at work because you had to go to the eye doctor and that you aren't able to see your counselor now.  I am sure talking to her really helped you. 

I hope you get some replies that will help you out.

Discouragement is so hard to deal with - I know.  My husband, Mark, had both hips replaced, in 2003 & 2004, at ages 39 & 40.  The second surgery was very successful.  For some reason, his right hip (the first surgery) has hurt him every minute of every day since 2003.  The doctor, which we really like, has no explanation for this.  Everything looks good on his Xrays.  Mark handles this so well, but it really gets him down at times.  On Mar 10 he had surgery for hemorrhoids and a fistula.  He was in great pain from this for 2-3 months before surgery.  Since the 3rd day after surgery, he has been in a lot of pain.  He just can't get comfortable - just like with his hip.  Our brother-in-law told him yesterday that it took him 6 weeks to get over just hemorrhoid surgery.  My husband did not want to hear this.  Fistula surgery is a lot harder on you than hemorrhoid surgery.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and ask that you do the same thing for my husband.

Take care,
Grace

Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 09:09:47 am »
BIG HUGS - I can totally relate! I DO understand.
I am at work but will post more later.
Michelle   :-*
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 03:59:12 pm »
Hi, Laura Lynn ~

Thank you for posting and know that you have the empathy of many other AN patients struggling with post-operative problems that impact their daily life.  Don't be concerned about frightening 'newbies' because one thing we emphasize here is reality.  We never pretend that AN surgery is easy or won't have negative consequences, because we know all too well that it can.  Not all the time, not for every AN surgical patient, but it can and does happen, as in your case.

My best advice is to measure what brings you joy in your life, such as your children.  Focus on that as much as possible and know that, as has been proven on these forums many, many times, the ways things are today is not necessarily the way they'll be tomorrow, or next month or next year at this time.  I would never presume to minimize your post-op problems and how they affect you but I hope you'll try to push past them as much as possible and know that you're in the thoughts and heartfelt prayers of many folks who you've never even met but that care about you.  You really are our 'AN friend' and we want the best for you.  Please stay connected to us through the forums and don't hesitate to use the 'Willing to Talk' list, if you chose. 

I wish you better days ahead.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:51:57 pm »
You don't need to apologize for anything, I'm a newbie to the forum, but am 16 months post op and I also have many issues as it seems you do.  You are not alone in your struggles and I know how you are feeling as do many others.  Hang in there and see if you can perhaps find another counselor, because it seems important t support your recovery.  Hang in there.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

epc1970

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 07:52:45 am »
Laura Lyn
My heart goes out to you. I saw may shades of myself in your story. I struggled with fatigue for at least a year. I would sleep 8-10 hours a night and even though physically I would be awake, it would take hours for me to feel mentally awake. It took every ounce of my energy to do my job. I felt like I was living in a fog. Quite accidentally, My doctor figured out what was going on. He had perscribed a pain medication called Tramadol ER to see if by taking that once at bedtime it would help prevent the almost daily headaches I was having. Literally the next day after taking my first pill, I woke up refreshed, alert and energetic. After telling my Dr about this, he told me that Tramadol has both a pain reliever and a dose of serotonin to help it's action.  Because I had such a dramatic reaction to this, he concluded that I was likely significantly deficient in serotonin which is a key neurotransmitter and that what I was describing was likely what is called "brain fog"-super technical term huh? I guess there is no way to test if your serotonin levels are low but maybe it might be worth exploring with you Dr. Life has been completely different for me now that I have energy....I still have days when I am exhausted but it is not as terrible as it was before.
Do you have an HR rep that you can sit down with to discuss your situation to hopefully avoid future disciplinary issues? To this day, I thank my boss and owner of the small company that I work for; for how wonderful and understanding they have been to me during my surgery and recovery. From the start, I tried to give them as much information as possible so that they would have some understanding of what I was dealing with and are more able to understand when I have to take time off for an appt.
I wish I could give you a big hug Laura Lyn....I do understand with what you are struggling with each and every day.
Erin

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 11:37:44 am »
Laura Lynn,

A fellow “4” here… Know that this spring (in August I will be at the 3 years post surgery bench mark) I have had NEW normal (not more synkenisis) movement in my face. I can almost whistle and the eye involvement that used to be part of that weird action – is NO longer. :)

Last spring I was having the metallic taste return and I was freaking (worse in the morning) … yet the MRI showed NO tumor re-growth but did reveal the maxillary sinus was full (on the side I always sleep on as I was not comfortable sleeping the AN scar side).  I have since identified the allergies causing this. SO far I have refused the sinus surgery and I paid out big bucks and purchased all that fancy dancy allergy protective bedding at Bed Bath and Beyond (“beyond” a reasonable price! …That word apparently stands for  :-\ ), bought a HEPA filter for the bedroom. I started taking a non-prescription antihistamine before bed that lasts the full 12 hours (do not take at daytime) called chlorpheniramine (under many brand names in the USA such as Chlor-timeton and in Canada as Chloratriplon). I used to take Benadryl but it would wear off after 4- 6 hours and I did not get adequate sleep plus Benadryl is known a depressant. The Metallic taste dissipated  :) , my hyperacusis is down tenfold… and my earplug use is also down. I feel much better than this time last year… and no sinus surgery. I took the time to identify the problems, cause and affects: why I did not sleep well etc., how were my sinuses at certain times, etc

Remember it was only 15 months ago you took a real blow to the head (ie a craniotomy) … and this takes time to heal. This was not knee surgery- this was “brain” surgery.

Know that stress can exacerbate nerve issues. When I am fatigued or stressed there IS facial nerve regression. (My teenager almost 16- is stress causing because she is so smart, cheeky and is normal in the she rebel against her parents at this age uggh… won’t start in the teen driver stress.  :o ) I have not had to wear my eye weight for ages… yet a couple of weeks ago I had a stress day as my hubby had knee surgery (piece of cake compared to the surgery you and I had  ;) ) … teenager was harder as I was single parenting during his recovery…and back went on the eye weight. My whole face was being weird and regressing. (speaking of regressing it is amazing how 15 year olds can have tantrums like 2-year olds  ;) when they do not get their way ... or the keys to the car)

Stress is going to be there- ALWAYS. (Actually the stressful events are the ones you learn the most from as our brain cells fire overtime) The kids will become teenagers. The trick is learning how to DEAL with stress. A counselor can help you but maybe they have already jump started enough now for you to start initiating self help… and this maybe a window to see if you can apply what had been discussed in therapy. Maybe this is an opportunity you may not have taken otherwise. Is the cup half empty or half full here? (Only you can answer that question)

We live in an era where information is readily available to us- as readily available to us as many professional be it: counselors, PT’s, nurses etc (some times there is an overload of information  :-\  ??? )

Google
“best stress management techniques”

Here is my first hit
http://www.mftrou.com/support-files/stress-management-techniques.pdf

See what you can glean that may help you. But always be cautious of those who want you to buy their slick package be it cd’s, pills, herbs, their latest book etc.

Stay clear of any alcoholic bevies (this is a depressant) and watch salt intake (water retention in women get can affect the cranial nerves)… and get a regular exercise routine going. If your appetite is down make a point of eating ONLY foods with a high nutritional value (ie no Oreos, pop, and Doritos etc). If you have no energy to exercise know that a cup of coffee, tea, ice tea etc is not the end of the world and a mild stimulant may be a good thing… if it gets you up and moving. The key is moderation and balance.

At 2 ½ years post surgery that is when I felt my energy was back to where it was before the surgery. (Remember we had whopper tumors … oh and no whoppers at Burger King  ;) - just healthy food  ;D )

You have to ask yourself honestly (you do not have to answer to us on the forum – just yourself)
•   How much quality sleep and I am getting?
•   Am I eating good healthy food? (Or are you buying lots of processed stuff it fit the hectic schedule like frozen dinners etc)
•   Am I balancing time for “me” with parenting demands well? (Remember the airline stewards who tell parent put you oxygen mask on first so you can best serve your child)
•   Am I taking at LEAST one hour a day to sit quietly without talking or having an auditory overload? (I either grab a book or my laptop and put in an earplug to tune the family out… my outlet is writing be it on this forum, e-mails to friends, or book reviews. During that time my youngest either does the same or reads a book- her test scores have gone up tenfold because I have scheduled that “quiet time”. Sometimes when she see mom writing and with an earplug in she knows this is “Mom’s time” and goes off and practices her trumpet or the piano solo.) You will have to find yours and the best time of day that fits this for YOU.

You CAN get through this!

Make two lists of the pros and cons in life right now.

If the list is NOT balanced then identify the big ones and see if you can create a balance.

Example if you are not sleeping… what can you do to counter balance this and identify what is preventing you from sleeping.

If your appetite is down what can you do to increase this? Are you starving after a day of exercise in the fresh air? Plan a healthy meal after a power walk.

If your energy is low ask yourself, "what sort of fuel am I feeding my body?"

If the worst part is that currently you feel powerless – what can be done so you feel you have more control?

DHM
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:40:48 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

moe

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 12:01:37 pm »
Great Advice DHM :)

Laura Lynn,
My heart goes out to you. I don't have any magical cures, because the stresses of life, job, family, just exacerbate all the symptoms of post AN brain surgery.

Would be nice if we could all just exist in our big bubble where there is no noise, stress.......

The job situation for you probably exacerbates everything- talking all day would literally do me in.. Many people have to change their work venue because they just can't handle what they did before.

hang in there, day by day. It is a struggle, I can totally empathize. Hugs to you :-* Prayers too.

I still have "good" days and "bad" days. It sucks, best word to describe. I need 8 hours of sleep WITH a nap in the day, just to get me through. Spring is coming though with more light and more time spent outdoors, which seems to help me. Hugs again,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

LisaP

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 02:42:59 pm »
Hi Laura Lynn,

My thoughts and prayers are with you.  I am still W&W with many symptoms, I think that it is important for you to post on what is happening to you not only for you to hopefully find support but for us W&W's to continue to learn from those of you that have already had treatment.  I hope that things get better for you and please continue to post and let us know how you are doing.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 05:01:51 pm »
DHM You always say it so perfectly so all I can add is that we are here for you!
Hugs Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:43:40 pm »
Laura Lynn,

I do remember the previous posts and how annoyed I felt towards your employer. Normal human beings would actually try and work with you to help but it seems that your employer should be hung out to dry.

Forgive my lack of U.S employment laws but i would have thought that you'd have some form of redress. Are you a member of a union? if so, can they help and try and have your hours changed and maybe even relieve some of your duties to not being on the phone all day?

My memory seems to recall that they were very unresponsive so for your own sake, maybe try and get a different job and leave your employer on your terms. Also, are you on any meds at the moment? all meds have varying degrees of side effects.

I know its hard but stay positive for your loved ones. That positiveness will keep you going.

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

teffaz

• We read to know we're not alone.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 08:57:11 pm »
My dear friend Laura,
So many of our friends in our AN community have spoken from their hearts as they responded to you. They and I have your best interests at heart. I cannot comprehend what you are going through. My AN journey has not been nearly as rough as yours, and so I can empathize, but I wish I could do more.

Please know tons of people, including me, are praying for you and hoping that life looks up for you.

Love,
Brenda
1.5 cm. x .5 cm AN
translab May 2009
SSD (before surgery as well as after)
grateful for incredible surgeons: Dr. Porter & Dr. Syms
Barrow Neurological Institute; Phoenix

jerseygirl

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 11:08:39 am »
Dear Laura,

So sorry you have been through all this. As if big ANs aren't enough to deal with, other people's refusal to accept that we have issues , makes it even worse. However, absolutely there is hope for you. In my case (I had surgery twice), fatigue and exhaustion lasted two full years both times. I had to make heroic efforts (I am sure you can share yours) just to get through the day in one piece. The recovery really started after 2 years both times. I would have to say that now 2.5 years after the second surgery I honestly have energy to spare and moving fast to my pre-surgical levels. It is funny, the process of recuperating from surgery slowed down significantly with each passing month until it picked up speed after two year mark.

Actually, before my second surgery, I was in such great shape that everybody predicted practically instantaneous recovery. So, you see, no matter how bad things are now, people recover from this thing and at least advance towards some kind of meaningful functioning. I can't be the only one there who recovered both times. One year after this huge tumor is nothing in terms of time frame. Just wait how much better you are going to be one year from now.  All the best!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ombrerose4

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 08:05:47 pm »
Hi Laura,

I can empathize with you completely. I am six months post op with chronic headaches, vision problems and now yesterday all of a sudden i have tinnitus. It never seems to end, I know! But thank goodness for this forum and the many wonderful people on it who are so supporting and caring and have so much to share. You will get through this, as will I and many others. After all, we were diagnosed, had surgery and came through the other side. We are alive and we are fighters and that is what we have to remember each day. I know it is hard, but we have to be grateful to be here with our families and friends! :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

martyc

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 10:30:31 pm »
Hi Laura,
Wow, I'm so impressed by the support you have been given.  Such sage advice.  I'm 2 years post op, and about 1 year out I started writing a book for my kids.  It's just for them in a journal, but even writing the table of contents was therapeutic.  I'm still working on it, but am excited to continue to write our my journey, the pain and the hope, so that my children will know what our family faced together. 

May this support network fill you with hope.  I heard that the two most comforting words in the English language are "me too."  I pray it's the beginning of healing for you.  It was about 1 year out also that I started taking an SSRI, which was really helpful.  I still am recovering with moderate paralysis, but my heart has healed so much that my face isn't as much an issue.  May your heart be lifted today.

Hugs,
Marty
Marty