Author Topic: New out of surgery  (Read 6359 times)

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
New out of surgery
« on: March 31, 2010, 03:24:49 pm »
I am very tired but will write some today, maybe more tomorrow.  I had surgery in Methodist Hospital Houston, Texas, March 24 by Dr Vrabec. I checked in at 0630 and probably was wheeled into the surgery about 0730. I told my wife I wanted for her to whisper into my right ear that she loved me...it was the last thing I ever heard in that ear. I was wheeled out at 1730. I had a right translab, and the BAHA post was implanted at the same time. As I was throwing up in recovery, the first thing I did was check my facial muscles...perfect. I have no problems with my face. I only stayed in the hospital for the surgery wednesday, march 24, and I checked out on Saturday morning, march 28. The surgical nurses found it was hard to believe I am 60 years old. I work out with weights every day, and and very muscled. I think my excellent health really helped. I tire very easily, but every day is much better.. I also found out that a new MRI shows I have some high lighted area on my left facial nerve, and we will get a new MRI yearly now. I never want to do this ever again, and can only hope that the tumor stays small and does no damage. I am tired, but I will write more later. You have no idea how much I thought about you guys here, especially Pooter, who helped guide me to Dr Vrabec. I love this site and I love you all.

James

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New out of surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 03:31:43 pm »
James ~

Thanks so much for that great surgery update.  I'm delighted to learn that your surgery went so well and that your recovery is zipping right along.  Good health going in to surgery is definitely a plus!  I had excellent health (but not much in the way of muscles) going into my AN surgery in 2006, and also enjoyed a good outcome and relatively swift recovery. 

The fatigue will pass and you'll be back to normal in no time, I'm sure.  Please keep us posted as you have the time and energy.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:46:23 pm »
James -

GREAT to hear from you!   ;D  Glad things went well.

Congratulations on being on a postie!

Glad you got a BAHA - I think you'll really like it.

And I agree with you, Pooter is one of THE best.

Now get some rest.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 04:07:15 pm »
James,

I'm glad everything turned out well with your surgery at Methodist with Dr. Vrabec..  As you know, he was my doctor also and he's just the bees knees in my book.  It will take some time to get your endurance back, but it will come back.  For now, get some rest and take every advantage of the pampering you're sure to get..

Thanks for the nice comment.  That brightened up my day.  :)

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:01:49 pm »
Way to go, James!  You sound great and I am so glad you are doing well !  Take it easy and give your body time to heal...that's an important step.  You did amazingly well, but you DID just have brain surgery  ;).  Keep us posted on your progress.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

ombrerose4

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 07:50:00 pm »
Sound like your recovery is going verry well. Just remember to listen to your body when it tells you to slow down. Keep us posted on your healing!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:02:39 pm »
James .....

Now you are an official postie.  So glad everything went well.  As the others have said, this is one time you really need to rest when the fatigue hits and not try to push through it.  It is your body's way of telling you it needs some down time to heal.  You will soon be back to your work outs, but do not rush it.  It truly is not worth the potential set-backs if you overdo in the early days/weeks.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:38:02 am »
James,
Wow!  It is so great to hear that someone made it through surgery so well.  I have mine tomorrow and am terrified, this just gave me hope that maybe I will be out sooner than they are expecting.
Keep up with the speedy recovery but remember to take it easy.
Continue with the updates, they are awesome to hear.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 01:53:49 pm »
Good luck Susan!  Hope all goes well for you.  You are almost a postie!

Priscilla
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

james e

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 03:36:55 pm »
Susan, which Methodist Hospital are you going into? I was in Houston. Your case sounds like mine...hearing was good, balance was terrible. I think that worked into my favor, since my good side had already started to balance me, and severing the bad side made my balance great. I can stand on one leg. I can walk in the dark. I live on a river in central Texas and have been walking up and down the limestone to the river. Good health is a key. Positive attitude is better than medicine. I wish you all the luck. Write back when you can.

James

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 06:56:26 am »
Thank you for posting updates.

I remember being so tired at first. I took daily afternoon naps for awhile.
Sounds like you are doing well if you are trekking down limestone paths.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

james e

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 09:31:25 am »
Priscilla, you had a huge responsibility along with Pooter to go to Dr Vrabec. Sorry to leave you out of the mix of thanks I have to offer. The ability to send and receive personal messages here was important to me, and helped me decide what type of treatment was best for me. Nobody ever suggested which method to chose, but your experience with Methodist Hospital and Dr Vrabec was the tipping point for me. Thank you to Priscilla and Pooter. If I was young enough to have more kids, I might name them after you two.

My strength is rapidly returning. I lost about 10 pounds following surgery, but I am eating several times a day now, trying to gain it back. 12 hours following the surgery, I was fed a full breakfast of pancakes, sausage, a biscuit, milk, orange juice, and coffee. No sore throat. I know that everybody has a different experience in their recovery, and mine has been great. I am just offering to those of you who are thinking about surgery, either planning it or just waiting for the date, that this was not the end of the world. I thought the pain would be horrible, but there was no pain. Discomfort was another story...I just could not get used to lying there. My heel would start itching, then I could hear my heart in my left ear, then the blood pressure cuff was wadded up, then the bandage around my head was too tight. That was pure hell to me...no pain, just uncomfortable.

Surgery was Wednesday, and I was walked by a PT nurse with a belt strapped around me about 15 hours after surgery. She thought I was walking too slowly, but I was just glad to be up, and not listening to my heart beat or feeling that blood pressure cuff any more. I was put in a regular room by noon on Thursday, and started walking the hall way Thursday night. I set little goals like walk three doors and turn around, get back in bed. Next time go 10 doors. Finally I let go go of the hand rail and walked without support...getting better...I was so proud of my success. At this time I decided to set goals for lots of things, and quit worrying about my discomfort. My wife brought in treats from outside, like a cup of hot coffee, a sandwich. All of these little goals and treats made the day survivable.

One funny thing happened in ICU. I had regained my ability to think and reason, and I began to listen to the nurses in the area, just to have something to do. At one point, they started playing a game, trying to get responses from patients by buzzing them on the intercom system. One of them said, try the guy over there with the acoustic neuroma, and I got buzzed...I did not respond. This may have been part of there job just measuring the ability of a person to respond prior to releasing them to a regular room, but all I could imagine was that they were betting money on who would answer.

I just want to make a little difference in some ones hospital stay. This is not a vacation at all, but if you go in with the idea that YOU will make the best of this, set some little goals, work around problems, your stay will be much better.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:43:55 am »
Hm-m-m-m-m....twins named Priss and Pooter?  :D Don't go there, James!  I'm delighted that your overall experience was good, and you sound really upbeat.  That's half the battle, I think.  Keep up with your small goals.  Setting goals too high in the beginning is just too discouraging. My kids at school are fond of saying, "Inch by inch is a cinch. Yard by yard is hard."   I'm really impressed with how quickly you were able to eat.  I confess that the anesthesia made me queasy and it was a day or two before I was ready to attempt food. My first meal right after surgery lasted a mere 10 minutes before it made an exit. :-\  I agree with you about the discomfort versus pain thing.  I just wanted to be in my own bed again. There are too many distractions in a hospital.
Keep us posted and remember to rest when you feel the need!

Priscilla

Cheryl R

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 11:12:39 am »
James.   I am quite surprised to hear how the nurses were acting while you were in ICU to bother pts with buzzing them.     That is not usual nurse behavior and not something most places would require done.             I would do a complaint if you know where that is possible to where you were.      If you get a survey about your care,then also would be a way to make it aware to higher ups.       I am a retired nurse who has been thru 4 AN surgeries now and am appalled of their behavior!           They have not been an ICU patient to know what it is like to be one!
                                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

james e

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 11:50:07 am »
I'm not sure they were trying to bother me or any other patient. I was still heavily drugged. It might not have even happened, but that is my memory, and I just thought it was rather funny at the moment. The treatment at the hospital from the janitors through the doctors could not have been any better. In fact, surgery day was also my wife's birthday, and I mentioned that during my check in. One of the nurses went out and bought my wife a present, a toy stuffed horse, and during their breaks while the surgery was going on, they signed it and later brought it out to her.

I think a lot of things happen when you are still half knocked out. If it really happened, it was funny to me. Again, they may have been trying to measure my response to their signal  to determine what my state of alertness was. I have a really alert type of mind...I was a police officer, and one of the personality profiles of an officer is active mental alertness, and I never stop trying to be aware of what goes on around me. If they had doughnuts, I might have had one of those too.

I just want some people new to this situation, to realize that some of these surgeries go really well. I didn't expect to go into ICU and have some fun. It wasn't like being on vacation, but with a positive mental state you can tolerate just about anything. Now, if the nurses had voodoo dolls ...