Author Topic: New out of surgery  (Read 6360 times)

Cheryl R

Re: New out of surgery
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 12:46:28 pm »
I should add that nurses do have a sense of humor and there can be times when it might sound like we are not acting right to some patient but it is more with someone you know long term and needs some joking with.      But it is harder to sleep in an ICU and most nurses know not to bother a pt if they are maybe sleeping.      Buzzing several  still sounds not right to me and if need to see how alert they are,then one should go check on them.       I know well how one can feel groggy and wonder if hearing things right though!         Been there,done that!          Soon to be 2 yrs ago for my last time.
       Just good to hear how well you are doing now!                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

opp2

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 07:04:25 pm »
"Hypervigilant" they all us coppers.

Glad to hear your recovery is coming along James. Are you working in your retirement or have you been hanging out? I have 25 years to go to full pension, 20 for reduced ..

I have a 3cm an and will be having surgery in May-Jun...
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

blanc

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 02:48:54 pm »
Hi James,
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 12:39:31 am »
Hi James,

I've been reading about you and am glad to hear how well you are doing!  Keep up the great attitude listen to your body and get plenty of rest.  I'm sending wishes for a continued speedy and wonderful recovery.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 05:05:19 am »
Hi james! :)

I know I am slow to the responses here, but I believe you know just how much I have been cheering you on and sending wellness wishes your way!  Hang in there and take it easy.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 07:27:36 am »
Good to hear from you. My surgery and outcome could not have been better...really excited! Last night was kind of thrilling. My wife took the dog out right after dusk and asked if I wanted to go. I got my cane and started walking...or at least trying to walk. Without the visual support of seeing horizontal/vertical, I was all over the place. I have been getting around the house and going on walks with almost no problem at all. Ridding in the car has some minor issues, but nothing big. I will not be going back out in the dark for quite a while. Anyway, really good to hear from you.

James

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 07:43:45 am »
Ahhhhhh, walking in the dark .....   :-X   Most of us can identify.  A little tip:  besides having someone nearby or your cane handy, when you go from a lighted area to dimly lit, wait extra long for your eyes to adjust to the darkness before trying to walk in it.  I find I can do reasonably well now if I just wait those extra few moments to give my eyes/brain time to adjust.  I have no problem getting up in the night with a few nightlights strategically placed around the house, plus ambient light from outside.

Good luck and be careful ...... what you do not want is a bad fall.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lynn Mc

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 08:16:47 am »
Walking after dark!!!  That is a real issue.  If anyone watched me they would think I was totally DRUNK!!!  Glad you are doing so well and the dark thing does get better.  I am now walking after dark drunk - not fall down drunk!

Happy Trails,
Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

james e

• 75years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 09:35:42 am »
I have a flash light next to my bed that I can adjust the brightness down to a very low level at  night and get around...prostate issues...gottta go gotta go. No problem with low lights, or a bright moon. I have not started to drive yet, but night time will be out of the question any time soon. I can stand on one leg with eyes open, but cannot do it with my eyes closed. Everyday I am making some improvement about my balance. This morning my dog took me walking, and we walked about a mile. She would keep going, but I don't want to over-do my self. I carry a cane just in case, but don't really rely on it. The snakes are starting to come out and get some sun and look for mates this time of year around here, and a cane is good to have. Last night a gray fox and a raccoon came to visit my back yard to eat some berries. They were about 40 feet away. Life is really good!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 10:16:25 am »
Cell phone makes a good flashlight in case of emergency in the dark, as well.

I have not started to drive yet, but night time will be out of the question any time soon.

You might be surprised by this ..... I was.  I have no problem driving in the dark because I am not trying to walk in it.  It took me several months post-op before I was comfortable driving period (remember I have no vestibular function on either side, so a bit different than a usual single-sided AN patient) but I was very surprised the first time I drove at night that it was no problem.  I just assumed since it was a major problem walking in the dark that driving would be equally so.  If your vision is stable riding in the car after dark, driving should be OK.  Try it out in a safe place with someone with you when you feel ready.

Now, I have to add this .....   ::)  After you get to where you are going in the dark, you may have to stay in the car since you still cannot walk safely in the dark .....   ;)

Best wishes.  BTW, we have no gray foxes, but lots of deer and raccoons ..... eating the new flower shoots coming up!  But, they are fun to watch, along with the myriad of birds we have coming to our feeders.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

michelle d.

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 10:42:43 am »
Yeah...keep up the good healing :)   I see where you wrote that you were working on gaining the 10 pounds back that you lost during this time...spoken like a true guy!!  :)  I'm working to keep off the weight i lost!! ....it's all perspective. Hope you continue on well...~~michelle d.  ~~
Acoustic Neuroma on right side--removed Nov. 13th, 2009 @ Strong Hospital, Rochester, NY....Translab.   50 years old

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 12:26:21 pm »
Hi James-

I'm jumping in a little late, but just wanted to give you a big NJ congrats on your successful surgery!  It is so good of you to post, and I am quite sure your posts will be very helpful to those who are awaiting surgery.  You obviously have a great sense of humor and a good outlook on life - in my experience, that's a big factor in recovery.  Keep doin' what you're doin'!   :D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 04:12:14 pm »
James, you sound like you are doing great.  Your attitude is one giant plus, let me tell you!  If you can greet each day with a sense of wonder and a large measure of good humor, you are way ahead of the game.  I had a meningioma instead of a neuroma so I can't chime in with stories about balance, but I sure admire your willingness to (literally) roll with the punches.  From what others have experienced and related on the forum, it sounds like you are right on schedule.  Keep doing what you are doing and keep us posted on your progress.  ;)
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.