Author Topic: Does any experience facial pain?  (Read 2958 times)

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
Does any experience facial pain?
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:22:35 pm »
Just wondering if anyone experiences what I have been going through the past month.  I have benn having a sharp shooting pain starting just at the top of my AN ear (right side) travels down the side of my face/jawbone to the middle of my chin, it I touch it causes the whole side to intensify. Having an AN makes everything else confusing, is this my AN or something else?? Who knows...........
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Melissa778

Re: Does any experience facial pain?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:42:46 am »
I have similar pains at times.  sometimes unbearable.  Tends to be an issue with my trigeminal nerve.  I take Tegretol, prescribed by my AN doc, when I have flare ups.  I'd talk to your doc about the pain and see if they cant' help you out a bit.

Best of luck

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:30:50 am »
Years ago I had just the same pain... big time ear ache. Root canal fixed it. Pain can transmit to surrounding areas, and I know you are focused on your ear, but it could be something else. See your doctor. Try to isolate or trouble shoot it your self...time, activity, diet, allergies, etc. You kind of know what questions the doc will ask you, and any additional information you can give him/her will be to your benefit.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:59:23 pm »
Rivergirl ~

For what it may be worth to you; I experienced a very similar type of pain just prior to my AN diagnosis.  In fact, it was one of the reasons I finally saw a doctor.  However, as 'james e' stated in his response, it could be something else that is jaw or mouth related.  That's the point: you can't know without an MRI and/or dental examination.  Best to have the (easier and cheaper) dental exam first, then, if nothing is found, seriously consider asking your doctor to order an MRI, just to be sure. That would be my plan - but I'm sure you'll do what's best for you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:21:01 pm »
Absolutely, CAN be caused by this type of tumour.  I had it too, and it was UNBEARABLE when it flared up.  I could go weeks without anything, and then weeks when I didn't want to eat or speak for fear of it triggering.  The water from the shower set it off too.  Worst pain ever.  Mine was like an electric shock.

When I had surgery they told me that the tumour was heavily wrapped around my Trigeminal nerve, causing the pain.

I found medication very helpful for this.  I used medication they usually prescribe for people with Trigeminal Neuralgia.  Don't be surprised if your doctor doesn't think this is related to your tumour (my GP told me I probably had Trigeminal Neuralgia too, but the neurosurgeon knew it was related).  I was on Tegritol (sp?) but I know there are a few other options too.  It took a while to get it into my system, but it definitely helped get rid of the shocking.  Unfortunately, these meds seem to come with their own set of problems (for me, double vision, headaches, dizziness).  It was better than the shocking though.

Good luck.  I really know how it feels, and I know there are others on the board that do too.  I hope you get relief soon!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:15:11 pm »
I'm experiencing the pain right now plus a rotten headache.  Last night after dinner everything started.  I was on gabapentin for almost two years.  It helped dull the pain, but it also dulled me and I gained 25 unwanted pounds.  Now I'm taking topamax at night before bed.  Last night and today I am taking fiorinal for the headache, but I find the only thing that helps with the facial pain is heat.  If I can sleep for a bit it does help with both head and facial pain.

A little exercise for the face that does help.  Gentle tap on your face.  Start at Your cheek bones where they join at your ears on both sides of your face. Gentle tap all along up to your temple, down along your, cheek bones, and than along your jaw, back up again to your temple.  Tap every so lightly.  Also sit in a chair, feet flat on the floor, hands rest on top of your thighs.  Back straight, close your eyes, take deep breathes and think about how heavy your hands feel resting on your thighs.  Do this for a few minutes and for whatever reason it helps to ease up the facial pain. 

I find drastic weather changes and stress a major triggers for me.  I'm thinking of you!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:33:29 am »
So once again not alone with these weird symptoms, thanks for the feedback, my MRI is this monday.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!