Author Topic: Extreme Fatigue at 12 weeks Any suggestions?  (Read 2809 times)

Mei Mei

Extreme Fatigue at 12 weeks Any suggestions?
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:54:34 am »
Hello everybody.   I had my 9 hour surgery Jan 12 and have been at home.   Recently I have been feeling extremely fatigued.  I've continued to have the headaches off and on, but mostly on.  The new item on my agenda is the extreme fatigue.   I am still very careful about the Wonky head and sudden feeling of dizziness when I turn,  but I am worried about this heavy feeling I've been having.   I'm just so terribly terribly fatigued and tired.

I'm going out today and buy some flax seed mixture called Fibroflax to mix with Yogurt and see it that helps.   I'm wondering if the sudden flowers blooming in Washington is causing an allergic reaction and making me tired.

How long did you say does it take to recover from anesthesia per hour?   

Any suggestions and information on fatigue and surgery would be appreciated!

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Extreme Fatigue at 12 weeks Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:47:05 pm »
Mei Mei,

I don't think there's any pat answer on how long fatique lasts.  For me personally, my sleep patterns seem to be forever changed.  Before my AN surgery, I could stay up until 1-2 or 3am each night and be up getting ready for work by 7-8am..  No sweat.  After my AN surgery, while I can stay up late if I need to, I'd rather go to bed earlier and if I don't get a full 8 hours of sleep, then I'm cranky/tired/both the next day...  Would you call that fatique?  Dunno, but things are different now with regard to my sleep.

All you can do really is push yourself a little and slowly start getting your stamina back.  And learn to adjust to the new 'normal' as far as your required rest goes.

It's very likely that the added pollen in the air could be affecting your fatigue level.  I'm not sure I'd say it was causing an allergic reaction (unless you had allergies prior to AN), but it tends to tax our systems as a whole more during those times (or at least it can) and we feel wonky head more, headaches more, fatigued more, etc...

I'm almost 2 years out and things are still not really back to what they were before my AN surgery..

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:07:11 pm »
Hey Mei Mei..... here's the link for the 'Brain tumor and fatigue" .pdf brochure... hope it helps! :)

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10572.msg121914#msg121914

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:17:12 pm »
Hi Mei Mei,
I would say give yourself up to a year to feel totally better, at least that's what it took for me. Some days were fine, other days I was soooo tired, my legs felt like weights being dragged around.
Couldn't explain it, but that's what it was!
I believe the change in weather/pollen may add to the fatigue. I also noticed my hormones acting up caused more fatigue.
You say you are from WA? Not MD? I live near Tacoma, and last few weeks have been increasingly dizzy, lightheaded, off balance. spring is in full bloom, so I'm thinking that is part of it.
Gotta keep up with walking and balance "games."
So keep truckn, :) keep restn, :) your body probably does need extra down time, in general.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mei Mei

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:51:38 pm »
Thanks Brian, Phyl and Moe for your replies.   I was just feeling like someone on one of the posts said "I feel like a ton of bricks hit me"  I really do.   I come down for breakfast and then my whole body is dragging and I'm ready for bed but the dog has to be walked and bills have to be paid and you know the routine.

Yes, I live just outside of Washington, DC in Maryland where the Cherry Trees are in full bloom as well as every other tree and flower.  Also, there was Easter and the family was here and I cooked for them which involved stress and shopping.  I was excited about them coming here but all that involved energy.   Also, the hot weather is here and I just don't deal well with heat.   I fold under, but this year is different;  I'm different;  I'm just not coping the way I used to now that I've had a tumor and survived it.   It's all very different isn't it.  Thanks for giving me the time frame.   At twelve weeks and the positive discharge from my neurosurgeon I had a false sense of wellness.   I really am not yet 100% .    Gotta give it time.

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:31:24 pm »
Mei Mei~
Unconsciously you are probably doing a LOT more as you are feeling better - even the LITTLE things add up to make the fatigue worse.  It is a catch 22, you feel better so you do more but then because you did more, the fatigue is worse!!  Try a little power nap in the afternoon if you can work it into your schedule!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:39:20 pm »
Mei Mei:

Just last week I took a sick day from work because of that fatigue. Every now and then it still hits me.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:12:51 pm »
Mei Mei -

anesthesia takes a long time to leave your body and a 9 hour surgery is a long surgery.

My AN surgery was 7 1/2 hours and I was fatigued for at least 6 months or more. 

Listen to your body, rest when it tells you to rest, and this too shall pass.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 04:11:41 pm »
Dear Kay, Syl and Jan,
Thanks for the support and great suggestions.   You are very perceptive.   It is a Catch 22. I and others are expecting more of me as I look and feel better.   Things in the house have to get done and routine errands have to be run, but I haven't been taking my afternoon nap like I should and I pledge that from now on to start doing that.   I also went to the store and bought Flax Seed and Yogurt to mix together and some bath salts to soak in for extra TLC.   I'm hanging tough as Phyl says.   She sent a great resource  of a brouchure and I've read that through several times.   Thank goodness for this Forum and all of YOU!

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo