Author Topic: Hearing aids, who knew?  (Read 6578 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Hearing aids, who knew?
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:53:22 pm »
Today after I got my BP100, I stopped in a new part of my doc's office - it's basically a hearing aid center - and talked "shop" with the woman working there.

I was fascinated - and truly amazed - with all the new hearing aids on the market. 

She showed me one called a Lyric which is basically is a tiny hearing aid that fits inside the ear canal (no molding necessary like the TransEar).  You can wear it continuously - shower, exercise, sleep, etc - for 4 months and then you just dispose of it and put in a new one  :o  The only thing you can't do is submerge it in water (like swimming).  The Lyric comes in different sizes and they just measure the inside of your ear to see which one will fit you best.  Who knew?

She also showed me some very cool aids by Phonak and Widex.  On some of the aids she showed me, the part that fits behind the ear is about half the size of my BAHA device and they come in some very cool colors - hot pink, bright blue, neon green, etc.  She explained that they are basically like a fashion statement for users - and although some users are children and teens, lots of grownups wear them too.

Just wanted to share this info for those who are considering a conventional hearing aid.  My main goal today was to find out more about conventional aids since my mom desparately needs one, but is still remembering the old, bulky, poorly wired ones that her own grandmother wore.  I hope to show her one day soon just how far hearing aids have come.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Paul F

Re: Hearing aids, who knew?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:48:00 pm »
Thanks Jan,
Some of us have both the BAHA for the SSD side and an aid for the "good" ear which is not so good.  I wear an ITE in the good ear.  What is interesting is the interaction between the two and trying to explain it to the audie's.  Hearing aids have come a long way which is great news for us.  They do much more than just amplify the sound.  They can be programed to cover about any desired effect.
Paul

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »
How cool!!  Thanks for sharing, Jan!!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Julianne

• Juli
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:50:21 am »
Thanks for this new info. I own a pair of Phonak CROS wireless hearing aids, but they have been broken more time than I have been able to wear them. I am looking at other options while they are in the shop. The Lyric sounds interesting. I wonder how much they cost if they are disposable! What company makes them, or is Lyric the company name? They must be bone conducting.

How did you like the implantation of the BAHA and subsequent ossification and maintenance? Do they really work well? I am 43, so would consider it at some point since I have many more years to live with SSD.
Suboccipital surgery on 4/25/08 at Mass General Hospital by Drs. McKenna and Barker. SSD on left side and normal hearing on right. Having trouble with Phonak brand CROS hearing aids and neck stiffness.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:08:20 am »
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

sunfish

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 11:47:43 am »
Hey Jan, check out the Dot2 series by ReSound.  Its a teeny tiny conventional aid, comes in lots of crazy colors.  I have one and love it! Digital sound, receiver-in-canal technology.  My audiologist says this technology wasn't even available 2 years ago.  I've worn it for 6 months and have really been impressed.  An older lady at my church has hers in red!!  It's so small it's literally almost invisible unless someone looks really close.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 02:17:27 pm »
Juli -

the Lyric is made by Insound Medical in Newark, CA and they refer to it as "Invisible Hearing. 24/7"

You can reach them at 1-800-941-6072 or www.lyrichearing.com

I love my BAHA and have since the day I tried the demo - about 4 months after my AN surgery left me SSD.  My neurotologist told me that the CROS was an option, but not a very good one and I agreed with him.  I had my BAHA implant in March 2008 and just upgraded from a Divino to a BP100.  The implant surgery was quick, painless, and outpatient.  I chose local instead of general anesthesia and I've never regretted it.  I had to wait 90 days post op before I started wearing my device, to ensure calcification.  Maintenance - both post op and ongoing - is a piece of cake.  I've never had an issue or an infection.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  I was 45 1/2 when my AN surgery left me SSD and I knew that I was much too young to just take that sitting down.  Although implants and aids aren't for everyone, I think they are Godsend and I firmly believe that my BAHA has made a huge difference in my life - and a positive one at that.

Sunfish -

I saw some of the Dot series aids you are talking about and am still truly amazed at how small they are.  The technology these days is amazing.  Just the differences in my BAHA device from the Divino to the BP100 is astounding. 

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nanramone

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 02:33:56 pm »
Jan - before I was diagnosed, I had a hearing aid for my left ear...luckily, I was able to return it because it was quite expensive. I've forgot the name of the company that made it. I only wore it for one month, but it was also a tiny digital thing that came in many colors. It was not waterproof as you describe, but was so comfortable I didn't know it was there. Actually I fell in love with the little thing because it helped me hear so well (currently, I can not hear what people are saying in large rooms, and with my left ear on the phone, I only hear buzzing....but that was sure a nice little hearing aid!

I'll get another one post treatment if it's appropriate...I'm hoping if I get radiation my remaining hearing will be intact.

Julianne

• Juli
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 04:30:26 pm »
Thanks for the links about the Lyric. I will check it out. Does anyone else know of other options/companies for me to try? Thanks.
Suboccipital surgery on 4/25/08 at Mass General Hospital by Drs. McKenna and Barker. SSD on left side and normal hearing on right. Having trouble with Phonak brand CROS hearing aids and neck stiffness.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 04:44:17 pm »

lori67

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 02:40:22 pm »
Thanks for the links, Jan!

You are just a wealth of knowledge!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 03:11:59 pm »
Thanks for the links, Jan!

You are just a wealth of knowledge!   ;)

Hey, no problem.  Actually I'm competing with DHM to see which one of us can post the most links  ;)  :D

Julianne

• Juli
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 02:53:39 pm »
I just went to the Lyric website and it doesn't say anything about helping people with single-sided deafness. Oh well!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 07:22:13 pm »
The Lyric is a conventional hearing aid.  Most of the ones by Phonak are conventional hearing aids also - with the exception of the Cros, I believe.

If you're looking for something for SSD, I'd imagine your two biggest and best options are the BAHA and the TransEar.

Jan

ncutt

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 11:12:26 am »
My hus is trying out the Lyrica for 30 days and i don't think it will work for him.  Gives him a headache and just makes his ear hurt.  Was so hoping, so I guess we try something else, sigh....