Author Topic: Post-Surgery Neck Stiffness  (Read 3167 times)

Julianne

• Juli
Post-Surgery Neck Stiffness
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:33:41 pm »
Hello All. This is my first post. I had surgery 2 years ago this month and have had varying degrees of neck stiffness since then. It was extreme for the first couple of months after surgery, then massage by physical therapist and then chiropractor helped so that my range of motion was acceptable. Since then my neck is always somewhat stiff. When particularly bad, I will get a headache that reaches from my neck and up behind my surgical ear. I have been trying a combination of chiropractor adjustments by activator only (Chiro is afraid to adjust me by hand) and deep tissue massage. From the amount of knots the massage therapist finds each time all over my body, I felt sure I would feel better, but after 6 massages on a weekly basis, I am really no better.

I have also been having Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine treatments since September. This is somewhat similar to cranial sacral therapy which works with the fluids and tissues of the spinal column. It also has not helped.

I got orthotics for my shoes, I am taking 2,000 i.u. liquid fish oil to reduce inflammation, I use moist heating pad on my neck and shoulders, I do yoga weekly. I have tried everything I can think of, so I am looking for suggestions from all of you who know what I am talking about. Maybe something you have tried has helped. Anybody tried acupuncture? Thanks for your help!
Suboccipital surgery on 4/25/08 at Mass General Hospital by Drs. McKenna and Barker. SSD on left side and normal hearing on right. Having trouble with Phonak brand CROS hearing aids and neck stiffness.

Lizard

Re: Post-Surgery Neck Stiffness
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:05:21 pm »
You say when its really bad you get a headache, what does it feel like?  I ask because I experience the same things and just recently had an occipital nerve block, which is sort of like a cortisone shot into the base of the neck.  There are many terms for this, but cervicogenic headache is a common one used.  Basically the occipital nerve has received trauma and is causing pain.  I feel amazing just a few days later, but they are not guaranteed to work for all, but sure is something to consider.
I too tried all sorts of therapies for the headaches and the neck pain, but none like you said were successful.  I would feel some relief, but not anything significant.

Hopefully you find something that works and keep us posted!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Julianne

• Juli
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:15:28 am »
Hi Liz,
Thanks for your input. When my neck gets aggravated, it causes my shoulder, neck and head to ache and throb. I have never had sharp pain headaches. Is the nerve block for sharp pain only or also for aching and stiffness? Does it take away the stiffness? For how long? What kind of doctor do you see for the nerve block?

One other thing I have just started to try is to wear a soft cervical collar around the house. The theory is that the collar will support the weight of my head and let my neck muscles RELAX. I don't wear it long enough for my neck to get stiff, but just to give it some relief. Will report back if I think it helps.
Suboccipital surgery on 4/25/08 at Mass General Hospital by Drs. McKenna and Barker. SSD on left side and normal hearing on right. Having trouble with Phonak brand CROS hearing aids and neck stiffness.

cin605

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:33:21 am »
If you find some thing that works be sure to keep me posted.Like you i had surgery shortly after you 6/08 i have trouble all the same "crap" that oes on and have tried everything that you have,also tried the nerve block.When all this goe on i lose my balance also.Get nauseous and can not do a whole lot except rest for 2-3 days and ride it out.It will go away for 4-6 days then come back to haunt me.
I went to bed Wednesday feeling good.....i did get a almost shock like feeling on bad side of head as i was dozing off..its wierd and sounds like somebody plucked a guitar string.Anyway today is Saturday and I am on my 3rd day of BS.I am going to try the botox shot as soon as my insurence kicks to medicare from medicaid.
Thanks for listening!Cindy
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:51:30 am by cin605 »
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Julianne

• Juli
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:36:11 pm »
Cindy,
I heard about botox injection that would relax the muscles for a period of time. I guess it is not covereed by insurance because it is usually for cosmetic reasons. I have not looked into it very carefully. Sorry to hear that you have such frequent problems. I hope they get better as time goes on. Hang in there!
Julianne

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:50:54 am »
Cindy I feel your pain and also want to try botox, but of course its not going to be covered by insurance, which is so frustrating.  You'll have to let me know how it works whenever you are able to get it done.  Hang in there!

Julianne,
I do not have sharp pain type headaches they creep up the back of my neck and into my eye socket.  I also have throbbing near the temple.  I really only have the sharp pain when I try to exercise, so no the blocks aren't just for the shooting pains. They also use them as a diagnostic tool.  If you show relief from your headaches after a block its because their is nerve involvement. You should talk to a Dr about the botox too, it seems to have helped a few people including Capt Deb (look up her posts, she has a wealth of information).  Hoping you find some relief, I know if can be frustrating to be in pain everyday with no relief.  If you don't feel like your doctors can help you, don't be afraid to confront them.  Worked for me....the best thing I've learned on this forum is that your doctors should be working for you to give you the best care possible! 

Regards,
Liz
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Julianne

• Juli
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 03:03:37 pm »
I just spoke with a new local AN friend in person (Hi Lynn), which was very cool. We had a great talk about our conditions and feelings about SSD. She gets acupuncture and then deep tissue massage from the same person and it has helped her neck stiffness tremendously. She is going every 3 weeks now and hopes to transition to once a month. I am going to try it. I am going to wait to make an appt. until next week because on Sunday my husband and I are attending an AN Luncheon in Worcester, MA and want to find out if anyone else has tried acupuncture or other treatments that have helped their neck stiffness. I'll let you know if I hear anything helpful.

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 03:43:34 pm »
I am going to wait to make an appt. until next week because on Sunday my husband and I are attending an AN Luncheon in Worcester, MA and want to find out if anyone else has tried acupuncture or other treatments that have helped their neck stiffness. I'll let you know if I hear anything helpful.

Julieanne,
Enjoy the massage and acupuncture...I've heard acupuncture can help and I know massage has helped me as well, let me know how it works for you!  Can't wait to meet you at the brunch on Sunday!
Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Julianne

• Juli
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:27:29 pm »
Liz,
I didn't read your post until tonight, so I didn't know to look for you in Worcester. I am not that great with names, but I don't think we met. Did we? I did not learn anything new about neck stiffness at the luncheon. I guess I will try acupuncture and see what happens. I will let you know.

Lizard

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:46:31 am »
Too bad, I don't think we met, but I was a little timid...not like me at all, but I'm not quite as confident as I was before the AN.  Hopefully you attend in Oct and I'll be an old pro by then so I will make a point to speak with you.  Did you try the massage? I really hope that its helping.
Take care,
Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt