Author Topic: Cyberknife and blood pressure  (Read 3466 times)

sunfish

Cyberknife and blood pressure
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:21:07 am »
Most of you who read this know I had CK treatments March 16-18.  You can read my posts to review what my recovery was like (rocky).  I'm continuing to have high blood pressure readings, and am wondering if anyone had the same experience after radiosurgery, or has heard anything about radiosurgery and blood pressure. 

To make a long story short, my blood pressure was high after the treatments, and the nurse said it was probably due to decadron.  However, the next week my blood pressure hadn't gone down, I felt terrible, and went to after hours clinic where they put me on blood pressure meds.  Saw my primary care doc the next day, and she said to stop taking bp meds as soon as bp appeared to have dropped overall, because of concerns that my bp would fall too low and I would pass out.  I took the meds for about a week, and stopped them.

I had my primary care doc print out my bp history, and it's pretty consistently been 110/75 over the past 18 months, including Feb. and March 2010 before the treatments.  I'm getting readings over the past few days between 140/90 and 151/95.  I know this isn't drastically high, but it's sure high for me!

I've hesitated to post this here, because I really don't want to scare anyone off from doing radiosurgery.  I'm hoping CK will eventually prove to be the most effective, less invasive treatment for smaller ANs, and I'm still confident about my outcome.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

sgerrard

Re: Cyberknife and blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:27:21 am »
I can't say I have ever heard of a connection between radiation treatment of an AN and high blood pressure. It doesn't seem likely to me, I don't see how radiating a spot in your head could directly impact your blood pressure. Regardless, though, I hope that your BP comes down soon, and stays there!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

carter

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:48:27 am »
my story and i am sticking to it ....

i have had high blood pressure for about 10 years.  during those 10 years, i have always taken 1 drug - 1 pill per day.  teh pressure was well under control.  this continued through CK and for about 6 to 8 months after.

i lost my hearing and was placed on steroids.  after about 2 weeks of the steroids, i was eatign the door off the fridge, snapping at people, and would feel my heart race.  i felt like my heart wowas gong to jump from my chest.  my blood pressure shot up.  it did nto come down.  after a few weeks of watching it - teh AGP changed my BP meds  --- to 1 1/2 pills per day plus a new one. 

teh dr just said that we will want to watch your BP idf you have to take steroids????

chance - or a reaction ??????   but perfect timing!!!

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:02:27 am »
Hi sunfish.

I can attest to what carter has noted about side affects of the 'roids, except for the blood pressue issue, as I have low blood pressure.  Many typical side affects of the 'roids, such as insomnia, increased appetite, elevated glucose levels, etc. were definately experienced by me when I was on them post-CK.

Thought may be to inquire to your pharmacist about 'roids and side affects, to see if there is anything noted on the "Precaution" info they should provide to you when you pick up your Rx.

Spoken like the daughter of a pharmacist, eh? (yes, I am the daughter of a pharmacist.....)

Hang in there and feel better.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sunfish

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:27:29 am »
Haven't taken the steroids in 3 weeks, so I'm thinking it's not that.  Wound up today with blood pressure that's 165/106, and my doc put me back on blood pressure meds.  I'm keeping the CK docs informed.  I did have a physician assistant friend who says that radiation treatment can cause this, temporarily.  I'll let you all know what I find out.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 05:24:04 pm »
Wish I had an answer for you, hopefully the Doc's can find out what is causing the pressure to be so high when you have no history.
Keep us informed on how this goes!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt