Author Topic: I'm a POSTIE~~ WOOT! WOOT!  (Read 4910 times)

wendysig

Re: I'm a POSTIE~~ WOOT! WOOT!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 09:55:30 am »
Susan,

Congratulations on being a postie!  It sounds like your recovery is pretty normal and I know you're happy to be home.  The hospital is not a good place for resting and relaxing, which is what you need most right now.  Take it easy and let what your body tells you it needs be your guide.  Keep us posted on now you're doing.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 12:59:13 pm »
Thanks everyone for the well wishes!   ;)

Things are getting a little easier this week.  Still get exhausted from the simplest things.  Take a bath and have to lay down as soon as I'm done.  I always get so lightheaded.  I'm sure that will get better with the more things I do.  I emptied the dishwasher today.  Not so good with the up and down motion, maybe wonky headed.  But hey, I did it.

Okay, so I have a question for all of you out there.  I have not been out in the real world yet to test how I will do with the loss of my hearing.  I'm not sure how much I loss, I think quite a bit, if not all of it.  I know when we've had a few people over, the noise level can really get to me.  I can't seem to stand the volume of just the people talk.  This weekend is my daughter's dance recital and I would really like to try and go.  I'm so nervous about the music being too loud or just all the people talking.  Any suggestions?  Earplugs?  Has anyone had this fear or does the same things bother them?  If earplugs work, what kind are the best?

Also, does anyone know how long it is before you can drive again?  I never heard the doctor say anything and at the time of discharge, it was the furtherest thing on my mind.  Now I'm just curious.  My appt is Monday with the neurosurgeon.  Wish me luck.

Thanks for all the help again,
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

Cheryl R

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 01:25:37 pm »
The driving has varied among us.   The biggest thing is when you feel you safely can and bend the head around easily to pay attention.    Also what kind of driving you do.   Busy streets or rural roads or big city freeways.       Some drs give a time and others say when you feel like you can.   
Adjusting to the noise level is not easy at first but helps when you feel better in time.     Might be such to just go and try it and know you might only be there a short time if it bothers you too much.            I never tried a ear plug but many have and am sure will add to this. 
The funny head feel is not fun and one just needs to keep at activity so the brain adjusts in time.      Same with how one gets tired from doing so little.      It does get better but not fast enough as we would like!         
           Good luck with your recovery!                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

moe

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 02:23:52 pm »
Susan,

LUCK!  ;D

I wished you luck

You are recovering nicely, sounds like. Let someone else empty the dishwasher though! I wouldn't chance the bending over but see what your doc says.

Limited to no duty for at least 4 weeks if possible. Lots of walking to your best ability and resting/napping/. Don't rush things. You have the rest of your life to do dishes. I know it's hard.....

The ear plugs are worth trying. The nice foamy orange ones. Press it down, curl with your fingers, lift up the ear lobe and put the plug in. You'll feel it expand in your ear.Put in the good ear, not the AN ear.

It will help muffle all that background chaos noise.
Going into a noisy crowd may be tortuous for you, maybe not. Just be prepared. Like Cheryl said, you can always leave, or rest outside and go in for your daughter's part of the recital. I still fear going into noisy crowds! I have severe tinnitus and SSD, so it is nightmarish. :o

Enjoy your outing. You can do it!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 10:35:39 am »
Susan,
Sounds like you are doing great.  I have to agree with Maureen...no bending.  I know the Dr's were adamant about that one...not that I really could anyway.  The ear plug sounds like a great idea.  Give it a shot. 
Driving can be tricky, I first started with short trips back and forth to the grocery store or what have you.  Things seem to move faster with the wonkyness so it can be a little intimidating at first and I had trouble turning my head.  Just make sure to have someone with you the first couple times.  And for the recital, you should go, just make sure you can get away if need be.  Go sit in the car or somewhere quiet, also be careful walking in the dark theater.  Enjoy yourself, just make sure you have someone with you.
Let us know how it goes!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt