Author Topic: article on celebrity with AN  (Read 5654 times)

bethnyny

article on celebrity with AN
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:17:39 am »
Hi, everyone!  This is my first time posting here, although I've been reading along since I was diagnosed in November 2008.

Thought you all might be interested in an upcoming article in Harper's Bazaar on Tara Subkoff, a designer and actress who recently had surgery at House for an acoustic neuroma:

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/magazine/feature-articles/tara-subkoff-brain-tumor-0510

Hope you all have a good day!

Beth
watch & wait since 11-4-08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: article on celebrity with AN
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:42:46 am »
Beth -

I've never heard of Tara Subkoff, but this is a great article.  Very positive.

Hopefully articles like this will educate the general public on just what an Acoustic Neuroma is and shed some light on what AN patients go through.

Thanks for posting the link,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:03:00 am »
i loved her article!  thanks for posting.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 07:26:43 am »
I also loved the article. It is so positive without false bravado or sugar coating. The recovery really is difficult.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:38:42 am »
Great article, someone semi-famous going through treatment...thank you so much for sharing!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:54:08 am »
You know, we have this larger-than-life image of anyone connected with film or fashion (at least I used to), so it was refreshing to read this article.  Together with that, and our knowledge of LADavid, brings home the fact that actors and people in high fashion are people too.  They have many of the same worries and struggles that each of us do.  They just happen to work in an industry where they are more visible to everyone than we do.

Great article..  I loved it.  Thanks for sharing it with us!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 03:07:36 pm »
Hi, Bethnyny- and welcome ~

Like most, I wasn't familiar with Tara Subkoff as either a designer or an actress but I enjoyed her story and her positive yet realistic attitude.  Thanks for an excellent inaugural post!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:53:33 am »
Beth,

I really enjoyed this article -- thanks for sharing.  I've never heard of Tara either but her story is a familiar one.  Although my recovery was easier than hers seems to have been, recovery does require an enormous amount of patience and is a truly life changing experience.  Recovery from surgery for an AN is,  in my humble opinion, one of the ultimate lessons in patience.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 10:02:33 am »
Thanks for sharing.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 04:57:37 pm »
Beth ....

Thanks for sharing this link to Tara's story.  I don't think we have to know about Tara to be inspired by her wonderful attitude towards life post-AN.  If we are honest, most of us have days when we struggle to be optimistic ..... and Tara's story really gave me a lift today.  Thanks.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 01:38:05 am »
Very good article! Thanks for sharing.  I know another famous celebrity that had AN, one of the singers from TLC. It was ironic, because I was in a neuro-otologist's waiting room waiting to see him about my then-newly discovered AN and I was thumbing through a People's magazine, and there it was, right there!! I guess she had a pretty big one, "Grapefruit sized" quoted to articles and it was on her Brain Stem, so it was doing some bad things to her at that point.  She also has sickle cell anemia AND came down with swine flu, so she's doing good, I guess...her name is T Boz if you want to look that one up.  Thanks again for the article!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 08:35:52 am »
Jay -

there's a link on the Forum somewhere about the singer from TLC that had the AN.

I can't find it, but perhaps someone else can.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Desilu

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 02:52:11 pm »
Hi Beth,

I know that I am late in responding to your post but I really enjoyed the article, in fact, I am forwarding it to some of my friends. I believe no one really understands how we feel after surgery. It's kind of like learning not to sweat the small stuff and enjoy the life around you and make the best of it. I can totally relate to how Tara feels. Thanks again for the post. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 03:23:37 pm »
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 03:57:49 pm »
BINGO!

Thanks, Pooter  ;D