Author Topic: Healing  (Read 4183 times)

Lizard

Healing
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:02:09 am »
I am quite far into my healing process, but today is one of those downer days.  Healing is touch and instead of moping around and feeling sorry for myself I decided to find some good quotes and now sharing them will all of you.  Enjoy!

Healing may not be so much about getting better, as about letting go of everything that isn't you - all of the expectations, all of the beliefs - and becoming who you are.
-- Rachel Naomi Remen

There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something tomorrow.
-- Orison Swett Marden
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Healing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:48:28 am »
Liz,

Here are a few more for you to ponder:

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
- Thomas Edison

Superman's not brave. You can't be brave if you're indestructible. It's every day people, like you and me, that are brave knowing we could easily be defeated but still continue forward.
- unknown

I still have my "downer days" too..  Others can attest to that fact.   Things will get better.

Regards,
Brian

Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:56:02 am »
Healing is touch and instead of moping around and feeling sorry for myself I decided to find some good quotes and now sharing them will all of you. 

That would be a typo, touch can be healing but healing is not touch...that was supposed to say tough. Anywho.

Pooter/Brian,
Thanks those are great.  I love quotes so much and just reading them helps me tremendously.  I have them posted all over my cubicle at work...
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

epc1970

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:56:22 am »
Liz
Here is a thought to bring you a smile: think of Scarlett and her DEFCON 5 headache head wrap!!  

Now one of my favorite quote: "In the depth of winter I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer."....I'm not sure who it's by.

Hang in there Liz!

Erin

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 12:09:23 pm »
Erin,

Albert Camus said that. He was a French Algerian author, philosopher, and journalist who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1957..  Me and Albert go WAY back..  ;)

Regards,
B
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 12:26:23 pm »
Erin,
Thanks and it did give me a giggle!  Also, thanks for the quote I'm keep all of these!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 02:37:39 pm »
Hi, Liz ~

I'm sorry to learn that you're having a down day after just seeing you with your husband at the ANA brunch on Sunday, looking bright and animated.

I like quotes too, and one of my favorite sources is the indispensable Mark Twain, who once wrote: "The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up".  He's right.

Just to be a bit sardonic, I'll also offer you a quote from that revered American philosopher/comedian, W.C. Fields.  "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it".  :D

I hope you enjoy the quotes and that they help lift your spirits a bit.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 05:49:54 pm »
As always Thanks to you Jim and yes love the quotes!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

lori67

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 06:23:08 pm »
Liz,

Must be something in the air today - I had one of those downer days today too.  Fortunately, it wasn't the whole day, just a small portion of it.  I guess we're all entitled to a yucky day every now and then.  I hope tomorrow is a better day for you!

And for a variation on the quote provided by Jim.... "If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving!".   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 07:17:49 pm »
Ok, so this is not an official quote but I just returned from my daughter's 2nd grade musical - this was one of the lines in a song and I love it:

"Clouds don't last forever...rainbows do appear..."

Hope that gives you a little bright spot...maybe try singing it - it really sounds good!   ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lizard

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 08:35:39 pm »
 Lori, Funny, my husband just asked me if I wanted to go when we go to Vegas...I told him under most circumstances I probably would, but I'm not under most circumstances.  Oh my head...that would not be good.

Kaybo, I tried singing it, but it would probably sound better in the shower.  Love it

Thanks for the cheer  :D

Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 08:45:21 pm »
It HAS been a rather sh*tty day  :(

My favorite quote since I found it right before my AN surgery is:

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

That pretty much got me through the days leading up to my surgery and the weeks of my recovery. 

It would be my profile quote, but the field isn't long enough.  I think Kaybo's favorite quote is too long for her profile also.

Who do we need to talk to in order to get that field lengthened?  Jim?  Phyl?  Steve?

I'm also partial to The road isn't always to the swift, but to those who keep on running

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 06:58:56 am »
I need to change that on my profile b/c now I can't even remember my favorite quote!  How about that short term memory!!  Does anyone else remember my favorite quote?  Jan? Lori? Help me out here!!

K   ???
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 08:44:12 am »
I think it was something like "Drinks and dinner are on Kaybo!".

Or was it "Oh my gravy"?
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

grega

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 09:38:14 am »
You guys are funnnnnn - eeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Thanks!  ;D

I like Twain's quote from Jim .... so Jan, with that in mind, I'll try to brighten your day with a suggestion on a shortened version of Ralph Waldo's quote that might just fit ..... how bout:  "Stuff before us and behind us are tiny vs the 'stuff' within us"

Of course, you can probly do better than that cause Ralph Waldo don't mind  ::)
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"