Author Topic: Surgery: After Care/Tips/Advice  (Read 7143 times)

knakag01

Surgery: After Care/Tips/Advice
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:14:38 am »
Hello all,

Well, the time is near...I will be having translab surgery with Dr. Jackler at Stanford on May 19th. I go through waves of being nervous and waves of peace. I'm just trying to focus on all of the positive things, like how blessed I was to have found this site and the wonderful people on it. One of the more difficult parts is letting go of the inner control freak that makes the unknowns of post-surgery super nerve wracking!! I tell myself that all the worrying does me no good...I just need to prepare best I can and take each day as it comes.

On that note, I was wondering if any of you have any tips/advice/insight on after care (for both my sweetheart, who will be caring for me, and for me). From what I've read, lots of rest and walking are key. Just wondering what else may be helpful to know.

Thank you!!!
Kim
Kim
1.9cm x 1.2cm AN Right side
Diagnosed 11/09
Translab with Dr. Jackler @ Stanford on 5/20/10
Facial Paralysis (temp) & SSD Right side, some balance issues but not as bad as I thought :)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Surgery: After Care/Tips/Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:20:00 pm »
Hi Kim .....

Yes, the time is getting near when you will have this bugger out of your head and you can go through the recovery process and on with your life.  That, in itself, should bring you peace.

As you know from your reading here, everyone of us had a somewhat unique recovery experience so it is impossible to say exactly what you will experience.  We are going to assume you will have an uneventful recovery process.  That means the first three days will be the ones you will want to quickly forget ..... it will not be pleasant (as with any major surgery of any kind).  Most doctors and hospitals keep you pretty well supplied with remedies/pain medication, as needed, etc. so those days will go by rather quickly.  After that it is usually a fairly rapid recovery ..... up walking as much as you can, etc.  The main thing is to listen to your body ..... when you are tired, STOP ..... right then, and rest.  Do not keep going "one more lap."  You may experience significant dizziness at first, depending upon how much your brain has or has not already compensated for the damaged vestibular nerve on which the tumor is growing.  It may seem counterproductive, but walking as much as you can tolerate actually decreases dizziness.  But, be sure to do it safely ..... with a walker or someone by your side until you are able to go solo.  The last thing you want is a fall!

In my case, I used a walker in the hospital and then at home I used it at night only for a couple more weeks.  I had someone with me at all times the first two and a half weeks post-op, then I was on my own and did just fine.  I did not drive for a few more weeks after that ..... but there are people who have driven much sooner.  My case is a little more unusual in that due to two brain surgeries, I have no functioning vestibular nerves on either side.

Best wishes, thoughts, prayers, etc.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:04:50 pm »
Kim ~

Your anxiety as Surgery Day approaches is normal.  I get the distinct impression that you're well grounded and handling it with aplomb. 

Clarice beat me to all the good tips so my only advice is to do as much as you can, as soon as you can and, as your body tells you it can.  I tended to overdo things a bit immediately post-op but it all worked out (because I had almost no post-op complications) and I was driving again within two weeks of my surgery date. I would also advise you to make sure your sweetheart understands that you're having major brain surgery and this isn't a simple thing.  You'll need lots of help - for awhile.  How long will depend on whether you have any post-op complications and your body's ability to recover.  I would expect two weeks before you won't need much help but that's strictly speculation on my part.  It could be more - or less.  I was able to get out and about, unaided, within a week of my hospital discharge.  Others have different recovery timeframes.  The important thing to remember is that it isn't a contest and you need to recover the way it suits you and not try to set a 'record'.   I'm sure you'll do splendidly, Kim and of course, you'll be in the thoughts (and prayers) of many.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

knakag01

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 03:05:37 pm »
Thank you, Clarice & Jim! I will be sure to listen to my body and not over do it. I very much appreciate the thoughts and prayers. 
Kim
Diagnosed 11/09
Facial Paralysis (temp) & SSD Right side, some balance issues but not as bad as I thought :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 09:05:20 pm »
One of the more difficult parts is letting go of the inner control freak that makes the unknowns of post-surgery super nerve wracking!! I tell myself that all the worrying does me no good...I just need to prepare best I can and take each day as it comes.

Kim -

I think this part of your post says it all.

I'm a certified control freak myself and I found that the best way to deal with post op recovery was to just take things as they came.  Get lots of rest and pamper yourself.  Don't be afraid to ask for help - even if it's something you've never done before.  Accept any and all offers - people usually don't make them unless they are serious about being taken up on them.

Good luck.  You'll be fine.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 01:21:14 am »
Kim, I would say that my prayers are with you on your day, but I don't know how awake I will be to pray :) So I will say my pre-op prayers are with you!

I do so hope everything goes well!

Try not to let the pre-op jitters get to you. One day at a time makes the best perspective.
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

lori67

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 05:22:27 am »
Hi Kim.

Lots of us control freaks around here!   :D

My advice:  Rest, drink plenty of fluids, walk, clean the house before you go to the hospital, bring chap stick and sunglasses and apologize to said sweetheart in advance for any seemingly unprovoked nagging or yelling.   :D

I hope the waves of peace come more often than the worry.

The best advice I got before my surgery:  Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best!

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 06:15:13 am »
Everyone's already said everything but I will reiterate what I always tell people - CHAPSTICK and patience...lots, especially for your caretaker!!  ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sues1953

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 07:44:01 am »
Hi Kim,

Wow, Tracy on the 18th, you on the 19th, and me on the 20th.  What a busy week on the forum.  I will be praying for both of you.  I am trying to prepare best I can.  I too have so much to be thankful for.  I had to laugh at the chapstick comment Kaybo  ;D thats the first thing on my list.  I am in the process of packing for the hospital and would welcome any advice.  Also I have downoaded books to my ipod from audiable.com, some of which I got from the book club thread on this sight.

I have silly questions like how many pr. of Jamies should I pack ???  I'm wondering if I will be hot or cold in the hospital, I realize no one can answerer that one for me because I seem to be either one or the other all the time no matter what the temp in the room is  ;D

ANyway we all will get through this and be comparing notes in just a few weeks.  Good Luck  :-*

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Cheryl R

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 08:07:07 am »
I have always been cold past my surgeries.    I took a couple pair of pjs each time.      You will have the ted sox on also.   I did the usual lip balm and tooth brush.      I take face wipes and lotion but no make up.   Also the robe for walking in the hall and sitting up in the chair.              I did take my soltaire game but rarely used it.     TV was the only thing that really felt like doing.   You may or may not feel like listening to any audio books.   I am also big on taking my heavier Refresh liquigel as Iowa City only gives you the tears for day use and if one has dry eye,then just tears isn't enough.  I have mentioned this but they haven't seemed to catch on.    One can have possibly some dryish eye even with no facial paralysis.  Think I did for 3 weeks last time. 
    Good luck to all with the surgeries coming up. The time before is hard but you will soon be a postie.                     Tomorrow I am taking an older lady friend who lives alone near us to hospital for a total hip surgery.     Her family is all out east so is glad to have someone be with her.   I have seen many post op hips in the skilled care where I used to work so was able to be of good help in what to expect and need post op.   She plans to come to our closer hospital for the rehab then also.  I think she will do well.
                                                       Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 08:29:00 am »
Sue .....

Although it is strictly up to you, I took PJs to the hospital with me and never put them on.  Even though I had a central line, thus minimizing the IV tubes and other needs for sticking, it was just so much easier to use the hospital gowns.  Definitely take a robe for walking in the hallway (if not you can always put a second gown on backwards for cover-up).  If you are cold, do not be bashful about asking for a warm blanket.  I also had two extra pillows in my bed ..... one on each side to put between my knees when on either side (sure helps keep your spine straight).  After a couple of days, you will be up as much as you can tolerate, but you will be discharged as soon as you are medically stable.

Yes, it will be a busy week when the three of you have surgeries (Tracy, Kim, Sue!) so my knees will be sore.   ;D  Many thoughts and prayers for all.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lizard

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 11:12:47 am »
Wow everyone gave such good suggestions.  The only one I can give is to bring a sleeping mask for your eyes.  I had a lot of light sensitivity and this came in very handy.  I also remember being very hot and I had to get the staff to bring me a fan, the Dr wouldn't let them point it directly at me because he was worried I would get chilled or sick or something, but just to have it move the air around was a life saver!

My prayers are with all three of you, make sure to keep us posted.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

knakag01

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 01:34:37 pm »
Thank you everyone for your tips, suggestions, words of encouragement and prayers. I've added all the items mentioned to my list of things to pack.

Wow, it sure will be a busy week! Sue and Tracy, I wish you both the best and will be praying for you.

Kim
Kim
Diagnosed 11/09

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 01:42:42 pm »
Don't need ANY pj's, in my opinion, but a robe comes in handy for sure, as Clarice suggested :D Chapstick is the other must have!

I was burning up most of the time while in the hospital, but I attribute that to my nausea...as you can see, everyone varies with their experience.

Best to all of you May pre-posties!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 03:52:13 pm »
I didn't use the pj's either.  But I'd second (and third) the chapstick.  I also suggest facial wipes.  I felt SO grimy after surgery - not sure why since all I did was lay there for 6 hours, not like I worked up a sweat or anything...   ;D

I also suggest, if you are having the belly fat graft that you bring a pair of VERY loose pants - you will not want anything pressing up against that incision as it will likely be very tender.  I didn't do this and rode home with my pants unzipped! ;D  For the first few weeks after I got home, all I wore was yoga pants, the kind with the fold-over low waist - they were heaven.

Debbi, sending prayers and good mo-jo your way
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com