Author Topic: Depression  (Read 3716 times)

pgka97

Depression
« on: May 06, 2010, 04:43:34 pm »
Hi,  Does anyone have a link to a good article on depression and acoustic neuroma?  Trying to convince SSI of disability and want to go in prepared.

Thanks, Paula

Lizard

Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:27:44 pm »
Not sure of a source, so sorry.  Let us know how you make out.  I wish I had tried for disability, but at the same time, as difficult as it is to work I don't want to be dependent on the state, federal, or my current company for anything.  Going to work as hard as it is does keep me sane.  It gets me out of the house when I really don't want to and I work with some really great people.  I am only 29 so I may or may not be in a different part of this working process as well.  Just my 2 cents...
Good luck to you I hope they listen!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:14:46 pm »
Here are two articles that might help:

“Cognitive Changes and Depression with Acoustic Neuroma,” by Dr.Elisabeth Kunkel (Thomas Jefferson University), ANA Notes, Issue 107 (September 2008).

See also “Acoustic Neuroma & Memory Problems,” ANA/NJ Newsletter (September 2007 and April 2008).

ANA Notes can be found by going to the ANA main website (http://www.anausa.org.
ANA/NJ Newsletter can be found at ANA/NJ's website (http://www.ananj.org).

Good luck!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:04:33 am »
Paula,

I don't know of any good articles..I think others have handled that.  I do know from personal experience that a psychiatrist and therapist appointments are the most affective ways of proving depression with an Acoustic Neuroma and being on meds for it.  It took three years for me to be approved, but the biggest help came from my family doctor, my psychiatrist and my therapists ( both physical and mental!)
Good luck,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

pgka97

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:47:24 am »
Thank you are for your help.  If there are any ideas of how best to work with SSI I would love to hear from you guys.
Paula

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:51:06 am »
I think Jim has worked with getting disability for his wife through SSI and is a wealth of knowledge in many things, not the least of which is navigating the SSI mine field..  Send him a PM and ask him about it.

Good luck!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:33:20 am »
Paula,

I kept a daily journal.  I put my feelings, my health, any issues I was having.  I also listed each doctor appointment and notes about the appointment.  I listed my meds and how they affected me.  I had an entry for each day.  Some days it just said "ugh".  Other days I spouted about the anger I felt.  I also had family take pictures and I added those.  I had my family each write a short paragraph of how me having an AN and then brain surgery affected their relationship with me.  I made copies of all of it and it became part of my Social Security Disability investigation.  I documented everything.  I also hired an attorney who was worth every penny.  I don't know which state you live in, but the Southeast seems to be the slowest in making a determination.  Good luck and yes, Jim Scott is a wealth of information on this subject, not on the AN side of it, but with his wife's problems.
Several of us have "won". 
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 01:32:38 pm »
Paula ~

Although I'm not really an 'expert' on obtaining Social Security disability benefits, I can tell you that to use depression as a reason for applying you'll need a doctor to validate that claim.  My wife had myriad doctors letters and voluminous documentation for her physical limitations that prevented her from working (due to severe spinal injuries and numerous operations) but was turned down, twice.  We later learned that everyone is turned down at least once.  It's almost a rule.  She then hired an attorney that specialized in Social Security disability claims.  He suggested she add 'depression' to her claim.  She hesitated but eventually agreed.  That required a formal mental evaluation from a Social Security Administration-approved psychologist (they paid his fee) and when he agreed that she did have a mild form of depression, she was approved for benefits (six months later).  Fortunately, she had a long-term income protection policy through her employer that paid her 70% of her former salary.  This was ultimately reduced when she began receiving SS benefits so that the combination of SS benefits and the income protection policy payments do not exceed 70% of her former salary.  She is still technically still an employee of the company - on a (very) long-term disability leave (she left work in 1997).  

The take-away from all this that: (a) your first application for benefits will very likely be turned down - but maybe not, (b) engage an attorney specializing in Social Security disability claims to fight for you* and, (c) if you claim depression, plan to be interviewed by a psychologist who is not necessarily sympathetic to your claim.  

I wish you success.

Jim

*Attorneys specializing in Social Security Administration disability claims will usually work on a contingency fee basis. If you are awarded Social Security disability benefits, the initial check you receive will be for an amount that reflects payments due that are retroactive to the date you applied for benefits.  This can sometimes add up to a year or more of monthly benefits, which can amount to thousands of dollars. The attorney will usually take a third of that amount as payment.  This is always contractually agreed upon when they accept your case.  There may be some minor expenses you'll have to pay (like copying costs) - but not much.  Once her claim was approved, my wife realized a substantial amount of 'back' benefits even after the attorney fees were paid out.  Ironically, her private insurer insisted that she apply for Social Security disability benefits because they are an 'entitlement'.  Of course, by her receiving government benefits, the insurance company was able to drastically reduce the amount they had to pay her each month, so their motives were rather transparent.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:50:39 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.