Author Topic: Facial weakness later in the day.  (Read 1984 times)

plugger147

Facial weakness later in the day.
« on: May 09, 2010, 10:08:31 am »
I have a left sided an which I had Gamma Knife treatment for in Sheffield U.K in 2008, after my follow up scan last year my consultant sent me a letter informing me there had been a small decrease in size, this year I have not long had the mri when I received a letter telling me that there had been no increase in size (yet another result without being seen by a doctor), I was involved in a minor car accident (we were hit from behind at a low speed) a few days ago and have felt a tingley/heavy jaw on the left side. I've noticed that the symmetry of my face has changed slightly on the left hand side, at first I thought it was just me being paranoid but my mother and partner have both confirmed there is a difference in the sides of my face which I will be ringing the consultant about first thing in the morning, what I've noticed over the last few days is that in the morning it is very difficult to notice any difference but by bedtime the left side of my face looks like that of a 25 year old and the right side looks my age with wrinkles and crows feet lol.

Is it a normal symptom for the muscles to tire throughout the day this way and has anybody else had any similar facial problems???

Cheers Jamie....

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Facial weakness later in the day.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:36:36 pm »
Jamie -

I don't know for sure if your facial muscles fatigue throughout the day, but it sounds logical to me.

I haven't had major balance issues since the early days post op, but I still have some smaller issues with my balance (and a dry eye) when I'm fatigued.  I'd imagine facial muscles would follow suit.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

plugger147

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:23:05 pm »
Thanks for the reply Jan, I usually have a bit of a beard so I might've been having the weakness for a while and not noticed it,I've shaved it off and I'm going to take a picture of my face every few hours tomorrow and see if I'm imagining it  :o

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:04:38 pm »
I definitely notice more difference in my face at night, especially if I'm really tired. I try not to look in the mirror at night anymore!!  LOL

Vonda

plugger147

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 03:22:56 pm »
aaww vonda thanks for the reply, I think I'm only gonna look in the nights at the moment from the one side for a while lol, no wrinkles or crows feet when I look at the other side it make me realise I'm not as young as I thought I was. 

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 12:14:14 pm »
My friend's daughter had a bout of Bell's Palsy many years ago, and it all cleared up just fine, but my friend says that when her daughter is tired at the end of the day (chasing around 3 kids will do that to you!), the one side of her face still shows a slight droop. Being tired and fatigued will bring out symptoms that normally don't show up.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 07:41:04 am »
Hey Jamie-

From my experience, the facial weakness definitely gets worse when I am tired or stressed. Ditto for the balance.  It seems that most symptoms tend to get worse later in the day when we are more tired.

Hang in there!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 09:03:28 am »
That seems to be a major issue with most of us by the end of the day we are all out of sorts in one way or another more than most people.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

plugger147

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 01:42:01 pm »
Thank you for all your replies, I'm booked in to see my consultant on Monday afternoon so hopefully he'll be able to sort me out lol. I'm having a few issues with things tasting different or having no flavours as well which is starting to concern me a bit as all these things seem to be happening at the same time after so long without any kind of problems other than the hearing loss and tiredness. I hope there's a possibility it's just a temporary thing caused by the car accident and it'll pass quickly.