Author Topic: Not Diagnosed yet but searching for answers...  (Read 25897 times)

michelle

Re: Not Diagnosed yet but searching for answers...
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2010, 10:48:08 am »
Thanks again everyone. That description of Hydrops does sound a lot like what I've been dealing with. Maybe (hopefully) that's all it is?

Part of me wants to just say, "Okay, that's what I have" and take the steroids and hope it all goes away.

Another part of me thinks that weight gain and mood swings from three weeks of steroids doesn't sound like much fun IF it's not the hydrops thing. I kind of want to call the Dr and leave a message requesting a referral for an MRI before taking the prednisone. I'm not sure.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2010, 12:06:07 pm »
You're only slated to be on the steroids for a short period of time, so I'd try them and see if they work.  Just my opiinion here.

Hopefully they'll solve the problem.  If not, I'd insist on an MRI since that's the only definitive way to rule out (or diagnose) an acoustic neuroma.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2010, 02:42:48 pm »
Michelle ~

Although your doctor is making a clinical observation (an educated guess) about your symptoms being caused by edema, the steroids are, as Jan suggested, worth trying. He probably won't order an MRI unless he sees that his initial diagnoses is incorrect. Insurance companies don't like paying the high cost of an MRI if there are other possibilities that might determine the cause of your symptoms.  If the steroids actually help, you'll have your answer.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:40:07 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

michelle

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2010, 03:44:12 pm »
You're both right. Thank you.

mk

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2010, 07:18:56 pm »

Hmmm, based on my experience, even if you have an AN, steroids can help with tumor related edema, therefore help the symptoms to subside. So IMHO, even if the steroids help (which they most probably will), this doesn't rule out an AN. Also a tip for steroids: take them in the morning. That way you get to burn all the energy that comes with the steroids during the day, and might still get some decent sleep at night.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 11:10:13 am »

Hmmm, based on my experience, even if you have an AN, steroids can help with tumor related edema, therefore help the symptoms to subside. So IMHO, even if the steroids help (which they most probably will), this doesn't rule out an AN. Also a tip for steroids: take them in the morning. That way you get to burn all the energy that comes with the steroids during the day, and might still get some decent sleep at night.

Marianna

Marianna is SOOOH right here. I did the steroid thing and the symptoms did subside... then almost a decade later we DID find a whopper tumor at 4cm. (way too late to treat with radiation) Looks like my DR was very wrong and should have done a MRI from the start. You can repeat my mistakes ... or learn from them.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Lizard

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2010, 05:38:41 pm »
Michelle,
You have to ask for the MRI.  An idea is to call the ENT and ask to be sent for an MRI.  Hopefully the Dr will call you back to discuss, I find its easier to be honest and speak my mind to the Dr over the phone...they can be intimidating in person...just my 2 cents!
Hang in there,
Liz

PS hope your little one is feeling better!
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2010, 07:25:53 pm »
Hi! Also a mom of four here!  Mine are 6, 6, 4, and 2. I agree with pp's in try the steroids but def call the dr andask for the MRI. After 3 appts I told my dr I thought I had a brain tumor and he was speechless that I would make that assumption.  I feltlike a total hypochondriac but it unfortunately turned out I was right.  Best wishes and I'm sending you strength!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

michelle

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2010, 08:19:37 am »
Thanks everyone! Hi fellow moms-of-4s! :-) It's true, there's not many of us. I find especially not here in LA!

Well, I've been on the 60 mg. of prednisone now for 1 week. Would I be noticing any difference yet? I still feel about the same. My ear is still 100% full, un "pop-able", and muffled. The "thud, thud, thud" when I walk, jump, anything, is still completely there. The only thing I've actually noticed is less of the pulsating tinnitus when I'm just sitting or laying down. Really, the most annoying thing right now is that grinding/squishing sensation in the back/side of my head up through my right ear when I turn my head, look down, or even roll my eyes. :( I'm also having painful headaches centered on my right, lower side. No fun.

The good news is that I'm not as scared or focused on all of this. Yes, it's on the back of my mind most of the time simply because the physical symptoms are constantly annoying me, but I feel more comfortable with waiting it out to find out.

I am planning on calling my Dr. and asking him to schedule me for an MRI with contrast before my next appt. (July 12th.) I want it done either way, to rule out the possibilities.

Thanks for all the advice!

-Michelle

moe

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2010, 09:39:43 am »
Michelle,
Glad to see a positive, and relaxed attitude. There really is nothing that can be done until the MRI shows what is going on, so just continue plugging along like you are doing, with your busy life, and it'll all come around.
You'll see. ;)
Did the doc ever tell you to take antihistamine/decongestant type medicine? I would imagine that would be a no brainer..
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

michelle

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 10:43:23 am »
Actually, I was taking sudafed daily in an effort to help the clogged/pressure feeling. The ENT told me to STOP. He said, "You don't have allergies, you don't have sinus problems, taking a decongestant will do nothing." So, I guess that's that. :)

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2010, 02:44:57 pm »
My brother had similar symptoms and the Dr. prescribed Lipoflavanoid which is supposed to increase blood flow to the ear.  It helps him with fullness and tinnitus, they think he has Mineare's Disease. 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

moe

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2010, 12:31:07 am »
Actually, I was taking sudafed daily in an effort to help the clogged/pressure feeling. The ENT told me to STOP. He said, "You don't have allergies, you don't have sinus problems, taking a decongestant will do nothing." So, I guess that's that. :)

Doctors think they know everything, don't they.... he could have easily said you can take them if you want but they may not help.....Just my 2 cents worth ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

michelle

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 01:09:10 pm »
Went to my follow-up today. The steroids have not helped. The ENT prescribed a diuretic and ordered an MRI with contrast to rule out an Acoustic Neuroma. I should be getting a call tomorrow or the next day for my appt. time. I will let you all know how it turns out. I'm praying, crossing fingers, and whatever else I possibly can that I DO NOT have an AN, and that the diuretic plus steroids helps whatever is causing this. It will be nice to finally know one way or the other.

Thanks again for all the help and support.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »
Michelle ~

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you as you approach your MRI date.  We share your hope that you don't have an acoustic neuroma. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.