Author Topic: Searching for SS stereo earbud for ipod  (Read 4007 times)

sues1953

Searching for SS stereo earbud for ipod
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:10:09 am »
Hi all,

I in the process of getting the last minute things to pack for the hospital and one of the things on my list is  single side stereo earphone for my ipod.  I thought I had read on this forum that Radio Shack carries them.  I called my local RS and they didn't have any idea what I was talking about.

Do any of you have a suggestion?

Thanks,  Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Searching for SS stereo earbud for ipod
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 07:28:42 am »
Hi Sue .....

I think Doc here on the Forum uses the Scan Sound one and likes it.  http://www.scansound.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16179  Not sure if they are available anywhere locally.

I am thinking about ordering one but have not done so yet.  Hope it works for you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 10:59:31 am »
Personally, I have this one:  http://www.scansound.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16186 and it works great with my iPhone/iPod..  I also went to Radio Shack and they looked at me like I was crazy..

Enjoy!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:16:58 pm »
I bought mine @ my local Radio Shack shortly after my AN surgery - almost 3 years ago.

What you want is called a mono plug adapter and then you use a single ear bud (which I also purchased at Radio Shack).

Others have said that these are available @ amazon.com also.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sues1953

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:06:13 am »
Thanks you guys.  Carol Ann (luuvpups) called me yesterday and they had the adapter and the single earbud at the Radio Shack near her house.  She picked one up for me and is bringing it to me in the hospital  8).  Thanks Carol Ann :-*.  I will be pasing the Magic Scarf to her at the same time.

My best to all of you.  Thanks for the support.  I will see you in postie land.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 06:30:19 am »
I went to Radio Shack in 3 different cities and at all they had NO IDEA what I was talking about.  We looked thru EVERYTHING that we had & tried to make it work but alas, it did not.  I finally ordered on-line from a company that JoeBlogs recommended - I think it was scansound.  Works well!  Glad you got one Sue!  Good Luck & prayers for your surgery!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 06:14:20 am »
You have to know a little more than the hired help at Radio Shack. I purchased a mono earphone bud and a stereo-to-mono adapter at my local Radio Shack no problem.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 06:35:58 am »
Gee Neal...that sounded pretty condescending!   :-[

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 07:45:30 am »
 ???

I didn't know the hired help at Radio Shack.  Maybe these items just aren't available in certain stores.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 07:51:10 am »
I just ordered a 1-BUD-PRO from Scan Sound, Inc.  http://www.scansound.com/products.html#1-BUD-COMBO  Somehow the Radio Shack one seems cumbersome with an adaptor, even if I could find one.  I, as well, went to two different Radio Shacks, in two different states with no luck, except for the adaptor type.

Although I have nearly 20% hearing in my AN ear, it is garbled for me with music, so I am anxious to try the Scan Sound one to see if it is satisfactory.  I'll let you know.  As a musician, the hearing issue has been the most life-changing in my particular situation.  I know others have had so many more important issues and I do not mean to minimize that at all.

Clarice

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 09:44:01 am »
Actually, these are the ones I've been using - http://www.scansound.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16204&cat=269&page=2

They're really good...not really stereo, you get both channels in one ear and you don't miss anything! They're also cell phone compatible with the built in inline Mic...very cool! I use them with my iPhone which doubles as an iPod.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:17:23 pm by Doc B »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 10:33:02 am »
Doc .....

I am hoping the Bud-Pro will also work with my IPhone, which doubles as my IPod.  Hope I didn't order the wrong thing!   :-[

Clarice

Doc

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 11:15:14 am »
Doc .....

I am hoping the Bud-Pro will also work with my IPhone, which doubles as my IPod.  Hope I didn't order the wrong thing!   :-[

Clarice

Hi Clarice,

I'm sure you'll get nice sound quality with those on your iPhone but they're not fully cell phone comptiable in that you won't be able to take or make calls using them...they don't have a built-in Mic. But again, I'm sure they'll perform nicely as your iPod Ear Bud. 

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 11:16:05 am »
Doc, the link you sent was to stereo ones.  Perhaps yours are stereo and you didn't know?

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Doc

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 12:15:58 pm »
Hi Brian,

You're right, it says they are Stereo but in my mind, excluding the void left by my AN, if you have two channels playing in one ear, that's not really stereo.  I knew that when I bought them. Like I've said though, the sound experience is very good...I still recommend them. It beats cutting one bud off of normal sets...I did that for years...seemed so wasteful!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:43:24 am by Doc B »