Author Topic: AN's/Brain Tumours and Cell Phones/Mobile Phones - brand new study.  (Read 2164 times)

joebloggs

Hola loved ones,

Long time no bananas.  Just thought I'd drop in because it's half past midnight and I'm up to my neck in research papers and textbooks trying to write a paper for my University course which is due in two days.  Classic.  Anyway, just cited a new study which is all of 2 days old in my paper and thought you might be interested!  Nothing new - but it's the largest of it's kind thus far and although it concentrates on Gliomas and Meningiomas with only a passing wave at AN's - it seems to have come to the same conclusion that I have... more or less... which is some of us are just lucky buggers and get these things and other people don't. 

Anyway I'll leave you with the link to have a read!

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/dyq079

You might have to click on manual download for the pdf once you're on this page.

Much love, now back to the paper for me! Boo!!

JB xxxx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Thanks, JB.

The ANA also just released a statement, based on scientific studies, that says ANs are not caused by cell phones.  Looks like the jury is finally coming in  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Here is an article in the Canadian press that has a blog if people want to discuss that one further… being that it has been hashed out here many times

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/05/17/cellphone-brain-cancer.html

Jan- I did NOT read that the ANA made any conclusion at all… ???  :-\

Below in purple is a cut and paste from the e-mail I receive from the ANA on this issue

Our forumites may all conclude this differently. I have one ear left that still hears and I am using an earphone extension to avoid any “possible” damage to what I have left… as I feel that there still needs to be more study… in the mean time I want to minimize any risk or exposure of the unknown.

DHM

_____
Quoting e-mail I received from the  ANA

Cell Phones and Acoustic Neuroma
The widespread use of cell phones and many studies on cell phones and possible associated health risks prompted the ANA Board of Directors to initiate a statement regarding cell phone usage and acoustic neuroma.

This statement is endorsed by our ANA Medical Advisory Board.

This is intended as a cautionary alert.  This information is not intended to take the place of advice and guidance from your personal physician.  You should always consult with your physician with questions and concerns.  It is important to remember that early diagnosis of small tumors provides more treatment options and greater success, with the greater possibility of fewer long-term complications.

There has been much interest and controversy in the past decade regarding the possible role of mobile phones as a cause of brain tumors.  The use of cell phones has become ubiquitous around the world and if they played a causative role in a disease process, even such as causing a benign tumor like an acoustic neuroma (AN), it would have tremendous public health implications.  According to the International Telecommunication Union, by 2006, 91 persons out of 100 were cell phone subscribers in developed countries.  As many as 32 persons per 100 were subscribers in the developing world. 

There have been 25 epidemiologic studies published between 1999 and 2008 trying to examine the role of mobile phones in the etiology of brain tumors, including ANs.  Most notably, a large study from Sweden by Hardell and colleagues, and a multi-institutional study involving 16 centers in 13 countries called INTERPHONE, have admirably tried to answer this important question.   

Overall, the best interpretation of the results of these studies does not demonstrate support for an increased risk of developing an AN in frequent cell phone users.  However, the science is very suggestive that the most malignant brain cancer (glioblastoma) and a benign brain tumor of the auditory nerve (acoustic neuroma) increased in cell phone users after 10 years of use, and the effect is more pronounced in children's brains.  But the science is not absolutely positive, and research in this area is continuing. 

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced that long-term use of cell phones may be linked to elevated risk of some types of brain issues.  The conclusion, which is reportedly still inconclusive, is derived from a landmark international study overseen by the WHO that has lasted for decades. 

The results, though not entirely conclusive, clearly have concerned the WHO.  Dr. Elizabeth Cardis, from WHO, is quoted as saying "In the absence of definitive results and in the light of a number of studies which, though limited, suggest a possible effect of radio-frequency radiation, precautions are important."  There is particular concern regarding use by children, as their thinner skulls are less likely to shield the brain from harmful frequencies.

The Food and Drug Administration says the research "does not allow us to conclude that mobile phones are absolutely safe, or that they are unsafe."

Those who cannot avoid using cell phones may consider the advice offered by the Environmental Working Group to minimize their exposure to radiation.

Use a low-level radiation cell phone.  Check out www.ewg.org for the best 10 cell phones that emit low-level radiation.
   Use a headset or speaker.
   Listen more and talk less.  Cell phones emit radiation when you talk or text, but not when you are receiving signals or messages.
   Hold your cell phone away from your body.
   Text more and talk less.
   Stop trying to communicate when the signal is poor.  Poor signals mean your cell phone needs to send stronger signals (higher level radiation) to the tower.
   Don't allow your children to use or play with your cell phones.  Children's brains absorb twice as much radiation as adults.
   Don't use the "radiation shield."  Radiation shields such an antenna caps or keypad covers reduce the connection quality and force the machine to emit higher radiation to deliver a stronger signal.

Acoustic Neuroma Association

www.ANAUSA.org

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Jan- I did NOT read that the ANA made any conclusion at all… ???  :-\

Well that's what I got out of it.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

My big concern is when KIDS are using cell phones... this is still unknown territory ...

However trying to get my teenager NOT to wear her cell phone is another matter... exspecially when the come back is "well everyone else is!"...
 ::)
"texting at the table"... don't get me started....

DHM

P.S. This mom addressed the "NO texting at the table" and "everyone else is doing it" syndrome very well
'William Tell Overture' Mom  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ZpuA8_YYk
Jan - how do you survive with TWO teenage girls? ... My ONE is enough for me right now ::) ... I also have a tween up and coming... How DO they rack up such a text bill  ???  anyway?  :o ::)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:45:40 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

sgerrard

I wish someone in journalism would realize that saying "elevated risk of some types of brain issues" tells me nothing, unless somewhere, somehow, someone says by how much, and to what level. Going from 10 in a million to 12 in a million is much different than saying half of all cell phone users will get a tumor in six months. So what is the actual risk they are talking about? Why don't they say?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
I wish someone in journalism would realize that saying "elevated risk of some types of brain issues" tells me nothing, unless somewhere, somehow, someone says by how much, and to what level. Going from 10 in a million to 12 in a million is much different than saying half of all cell phone users will get a tumor in six months. So what is the actual risk they are talking about? Why don't they say?

Steve ~

I suspect that these 'studies' don't offer definitive numbers because they can't.  I consider this to be mostly scientific speculation and an attempt to raise a vague warning without saying anything that could cause lawsuits from cell phone companies.  If the hard evidence was there, it would be obvious and no one would be afraid to state the facts.

I pay little attention to this cell phone theory but for those who take it seriously I submit that it's their choice to throw their cell phone away, reduce it's use or find an alternative to holding the phone against their ear.  However, I simply don't see any solid evidence for the cell phone/tumor theory.  Of course, I could be proven wrong one day.  We'll see.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

Agree, it seems very vague, but it does point to the fact that we are holding radiation up to our ears and should probably cut it out a bit by using blue tooth or speaker phone or whatever.  I totally agree with this, but also believe that the ANA will not support findings unless they are specific to AN's and this one well, just isn't.

That was my take on it....
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Jan - how do you survive with TWO teenage girls?

I don't.  One is a boy  ;D   Not that that's any easier though.

We have a family plan - my dad is the 4th line - and we have a texting package, which believe it or not is fairly cheap.  We have minutes - because my dad's 80 and doesn't text - but no one has internet access which is really the big ticket item I've found.

Jan