Author Topic: eyebrow synkinesis  (Read 2961 times)

Darren

eyebrow synkinesis
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:10:13 pm »
Hi Everyone-- So I think I have eyebrow synkinesis......when I smile my AN side eyebrow lifts up-- It looks silly when it does that and I cant control it to stay down.  They eyebrow on that side still does not move--Only when I smile will it lift upwards-- I have an appointment with my Docs on June 4th...... At that time I will get their thoughts, meanwhile is this truly synkinesis? Is it permanent? Any exercises anyone is aware of that will help combat this? 

Thanks again for all your help-support.

Darren

kenneth_k

Re: eyebrow synkinesis
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:02:53 am »
Hi Darren.

From reading posts on this forum, I have the impression that synkenisis is there to stay. I have synkenises myself, and it hasn't changed at all during the last 6 months. I am not, however, an expert on these matters. Anyone else please chime in.

Kenneth

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: eyebrow synkinesis
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:46:59 am »
Hey Darren-

It sure does sounds like synkinesis, but your doctors will be able to best judge what is going on.  Please be careful doing exercises on your own because you can actually make the problem worse.  When your facial nerve is healing, you need to focus on very small, controlled movements (which runs completely contrary to those of us who have worked out in a gym environment when more is always better.)

Synkinesis is not "curable" because it is caused when the nerves heal incorrectly.  And, once they have healed that way, you really can't change it.  However, synkinesis can be well controlled through neuromuscular facial therapy/retraining (NMFR).  The challenge is that there are not a lot of people who do this highly specialized type of therapy, so it is likely that you would need to travel some distance to find someone.  I went from New Jersey to Wisconsin earlier this year to work with Jackie Diels, who is a very well known NMFR.  Well worth the time and expense for me, but that is an individual choice. 

See what your docs have to say when you see them on the 4th.  In the meantime, if you have any questions for me,just shoot me a PM or an email and I'll be glad to respond. 

Hang in there!
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com