Author Topic: Endoscopic Surgery  (Read 4552 times)

dhsgbb

Endoscopic Surgery
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:21:52 pm »
I just got off the phone with a nurse from the Skull Base Institue in Los Angeles, California regarding Dr. Shahinian's procedure of fully endoscopic surgery for resecting acoustic neuroma's. I haven't seen any posts related to this but from their website and talking to the nurse, a patient gets the results of open surgery with a 20-fold reduction in side effects.

Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone had it done?

Thanks--wish I knew what to do!

jerseygirl

Re: Endoscopic Surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:22:07 pm »
Hi, Dhsgbb,

I had endoscopic surgery, just like a few people on the board. I had my first AN surgery in 1988 and second one ,this time at SBI in 2007, so I have something to compare. The experience itself (surgery and first few weeks) had been infinitely easier the second time around. It was more like a walk in the park, a picnic, etc., comparing to the first one. However, the long-term side effects are absolutely the same with endoscopic and traditional surgery: SSD, facial paralysis to different degrees, etc, etc. I know because I signed the papers and the side effects of the surgery were listed. To this day, I know of no scientific studies comparing head to head endoscopic vs. traditional surgeries, so any conclusions that I can draw are a compilation of outcomes and experiences of people on this board.

It seems that Dr. Sh saves the facial nerve in a majority of cases, even if it is difficult. Mine was saved. Nobody to my knowledge suffers headaches. Just to compare, I had horrible headaches after the first surgery, so bad that I was suicidal. Most tumors are totally removed. There were a couple of bad outcomes but then every noted neurosurgeon has them, so I would no go by that. The one thing that bothers me is that nobody has their hearing nerve preserved and that should be a primary consideration for somebody like you - young with a tiny tumor. It is a real possibility for you and you should definitely try. You just don't know what is going to happen in the future.

With the tumor of this size, you are everybody's favorite patient and anybody can save your facial nerve. Recovery looks like it is going to be rapid no matter which route you take. Complications will probably going to be minimal also because the surgery would not be prolonged and difficult. The deciding factor for me (if I was in your shoes) would be hearing preservation.

The goals of my second surgery were 1)total tumor removal 2) facial nerve preservation and 3) minimal pain. I was already SSD, so that was not the goal. It looks like I got all three of my goal fulfilled. The third one actually ended up being NO pain, because the endoscope went right through the existing metal plate and that does not hurt.The surgery worked out for me.

Hope I helped and I certainly tried being objective.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Endoscopic Surgery
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:07:38 pm »
There are lots of threads on the Forum about both SBI and Dr. Shahinian.

Search on SBI and/or Shahinian and you'll find them.

Here is one thread  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=12282.0

There are other, more positive ones.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways