Author Topic: clean MRI  (Read 2556 times)

painter

clean MRI
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:52:34 am »
Greetings All,
I just got back from OHSU where I had my first MRI since surgery, and a 6 month check up. All was clear, and the surgeon was happy, as were my wife and I.  I had lots of questions regarding my level of recovery, how I feel, all the symptoms I experience, etc, etc, and he was very patient and precise with information when he could be.  Some things he simply had no explanation for.  But I left feeling much more optimistic about healing, and not constantly thinking I'm going backward.  Where I thought I would be pretty well healed up in 6 months, he explained why it could be a year and half or longer.  It never hurts to have a reality check, I guess.
So we went out and celebrated with a nice glass of wine, and somehow, the metallic taste didn't seem as bad as before.  Life is good!
Tom

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: clean MRI
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:29:51 pm »
Tom ~

Thanks for the 6-month post-surgery update.  It seems as if you're enjoying a relatively uncomplicated recovery, which is good news, indeed.  Congratulations! 

Although we often read about a '6 week post-op recovery period' that is simply an 'educated guess' (based on experience) for how long it should take to regain most functions, post-op and be able to return to work (in most cases), drive, etc.  I experienced an uncomplicated recovery and found that although I was functioning quite well within 2 weeks post-op (driving, etc) and was convinced that I was 'back to normal' within 6 to 8 weeks, post-op, I noticed that after a year post-op, I was feeling even better and stronger.  By the end of two years, I felt that I was actually fully recovered.  As we always caution, each AN patient is unique and while we can look at other people's recovery times as a guide, there is no template for full recovery.  However, yours does appear to be moving along quite nicely.  Your doctor was being realistic, as you noted.  I trust that by this time next year (18 months post-op) you'll be considered fully recovered. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jennifer7

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 08:23:59 pm »
Tom
that is definitely reason to celebrate!  hope all continues to heal nicely
mints and very frequent teethbrushing (mint toothpaste) helps with my metallic taste

kenneth_k

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:03:54 am »
Hi Tom.

I fully agree. An occasion for celebration ;)

Best regards, Kenneth

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:00:42 am »
Congratulations, Tom!!

Clean MRIs are definitely something to celebrate  ;D

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:54:16 am »
Hooray for your clear MRI!  :D
Very good news...and yes your healing can take quite a while, don't forget that everyone heals differently.
Hang in there and focus on the little wins, just because they are little does not mean they don't have a big impact on your state of mind.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

moe

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:10:35 pm »
Tom,
congratulations on your clean MRI! Time to celebrate!
Everyone recovers at their own pace, so really is hard to say 6 months,one to l  l/2 years or whatever.
I would imagine up to the one year mark is a good ball park figure just to figure out how to deal with any of the pesky side effects of the surgery if any.
So happy for you, you are doing greeeeaaat!
maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty