Author Topic: Follow up appt and BAHA ??  (Read 1188 times)

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
Follow up appt and BAHA ??
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:18:42 pm »
Who would have ever believed just 2 months after brain surgery I would be going on a family vacation?  We just got back from Disneyworld yesterday and had a blast.  It was a bit much for me, the heat, humidity, walking, etc.  At Magic Kingdom I think I rode maybe 4 things, it was enough.  Did a raft ride at Blizzard Beach and it bounced me around like ping pong ball.  That was the last thing I rode that day.  The lazy river was my friend most of the day.
Had another check up today with Dr. Moore.  He said I'm doing just great!  Everyone there said I looked great, I guess they had a day of everyone saying how bad they felt so I brightened the nurses day!  I told her I was feeling good.  Headaches now and then, neck pain, and the deafness is tough, but otherwise, I'm healthy and alive!!!
I go back in July for an MRI, balance test, and to talk about a possiblely getting a BAHA.  I'm so hoping the little bit of tumor they left as shrunk and is gone!!!  Please pray that it has for me.
I want to thank everyone again for everything, all the support and kind words have been overwhelming.  Thank you to my family, I couldn't have done it without all of you.  My girls and Bill have been the best helping me get through this.
Those of you that may have a BAHA if you have any comments, good or bad, I would love to hear them.  I just don't know what to think of it.  Being SSD was very difficult on my vacation, the plane ride, bus rides, the bar scenes.  I just couldn't hear people very well so I didn't start any conversations with people.  I hope they understand why?  I'm pretty sure most know of my deafness.
Any help with this would be great!
Thanks for all your support.
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Follow up appt and BAHA ??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 06:30:12 pm »
skamper -

as a die-hard BAHA wearer, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with a BAHA.

The implant surgery (painless, fast, outpatient, etc.) was a non-event - especially compared to AN surgery  ;D  and the recovery period until you can wear your device (typically 90 days) is also painless and fast. 

The new Cochlear BP100 is fantastic - even more so than my Divino which I never had any issues with. 

I spent nine long, miserable months being SSD without any kind of aid and I've never regretted my BAHA decision.

Try the demo - I think you'll be impressed - and go from there.

When you have time check out the Cochlear Community (it's not just for Cochlear Implant patients) @ www.cochlearcommunity.com    Like this Forum, registration is free and you'll find lots of information there.  You'll also find information on Cochlear's main website @ www.cochlearamericas.com

If you have any specific questions about the BAHA, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways