Author Topic: Electronystagmography?  (Read 6044 times)

damien8

Electronystagmography?
« on: June 12, 2010, 12:57:19 am »
Hello all,

I took my mother to see a doctor in Toronto (Dr. Rutka) the other day for an extra opinion.

They say that my mother's tumor is small, and they will monitor it.

However, he wanted her to go for a Electronystagmography test.

She has already been for the hearing test when they originally diagnosed.

Has anyone been for a Electronystagmography, and can you comment on whether this test is necessary/recommended.

Thank you as always,

Damien

satman

Re: Electronystagmography?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 07:14:54 am »
yes i have had it and it made me sick from getting dizzy.
does your mom have balance issues or nystagmus ?
if the doc says get it then i would go for it.
i had nystagmus [eye issues] after the surgery but i believe this test can be for eyes and ear nerve damage.
whats the reason they want her to get this test if its a monitor situation, just curious ?
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

damien8

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 01:59:07 pm »
yes i have had it and it made me sick from getting dizzy.
does your mom have balance issues or nystagmus ?
if the doc says get it then i would go for it.
i had nystagmus [eye issues] after the surgery but i believe this test can be for eyes and ear nerve damage.
whats the reason they want her to get this test if its a monitor situation, just curious ?

Thanks for the reply.

She was diagnosed last November with AN. We've been to a few doctors just to get more opinions.

She has been having some minor issues with balance, but more significantly, she has issues with an eye/face twitch.

Does this test at all address this concerns?

Thank you again.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 02:08:07 pm »
Damian ~

Wikipedia has this entry to describe Electronystagmography http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronystagmography.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

damien8

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 02:49:21 pm »
Damian ~

Wikipedia has this entry to describe Electronystagmography http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronystagmography.

Jim

Thanks.

Just wondering if the test is necessary after getting results from the MRI.

Does this still prove beneficial?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 03:14:16 pm »
Just wondering if the test is necessary after getting results from the MRI.  Does this still prove beneficial?

Damian ~

I assume the doctor is attempting to establish if your mother's balance and facial twitches have any other cause.  Considering her AN diagnosis, it may be superfluous but I'm not a doctor and cannot make that determination.  If it's an unnecessary test, her insurance company may question it - or not approve payment for it.  If you and/or your mother don't want the test, she cannot be compelled to have it.  I've rejected a few tests before, usually due to the cost and/or inconvenience.  Unless its crucial to making a diagnosis the doctor should accept your mother's choice, but again, that is between your mother and her doctor.  I'm only speculating here. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 03:21:57 pm »
Every dr has their own protocol for what tests they like to see what the extent of the tumor might be.    Her MRI shows she does an AN and sometimes what nerve the tumor is pressing on does not completely show up in the MRI.      There is a wide variety of symptoms one can have from the tumor.     Some tumors can be located on the facial nerve but the symptoms there also can vary.       I had eye twitching prior to AN surgery from just a regular AN.   The facial spasm can also be due to the AN.      I have had more than one tumor due to having NF2 and one was a facial one but my only symptom of that was starting to have some facial drooping.     This dr should be able to give you his reasoning for why he thinks it needs to be done.            She does have the right to refuse it if really do not want it.       Main thing is to be going to a dr who take care of ANs on a very frequent basis.  
                                           Cheryl R  
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 06:29:08 pm »
I had this test, and some other vestibular testing, after I was diagnosed. Information about how balance has been affected can be useful in deciding whether to treat, and which kind of treatment to have. ENG is usually done with video now, and is sometimes called VNG for that reason. You were some goggles with video cameras in them, and they move you around and make you follow moving dots with your eyes. Then you get to watch the video and see if your eyes flicker. The condition is called nystagmus, and here is another wiki link explaining it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathologic_nystagmus.

It was not a big deal for me, since I had no vertigo reactions. Those can be upsetting if they occur, but having them identified in safe setting is useful. It was also not expensive - far less than an MRI. I actually found the whole process rather relaxing, but that is just me. I would say get the tests, unless there is a good reason not to.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.