Author Topic: Two ANS go ........HIKING!!!!!  (Read 2261 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Two ANS go ........HIKING!!!!!
« on: May 10, 2006, 01:42:01 pm »
Hey, Y'all!
I just had the most wonderful Sunday and Monday! Maryjane and Mike came to visit on their way from the Carolina coast back to Michigan. I met MJ on this forum 3 1/2 years ago, just after my diagnosis. We discovered we would be at House at the same time for our surgeries--hers was translab for failed Gamma Knife and mine was Middle Fossa.  MJ had already gone thru 9 months of balance issues and had lost most hearing from the GK.
We discovered we were both sailors and feisty super-active women. She had already had her surgery and was back at Seton Hall (the guesthouse) when I checked in.  We had dinner that night in the dining hall with all the other ANS.

I went through my surgery and she and Mike visited me in the hospital every day. After I was discharged, I stayed at Seton for another 5 days and they were right down the hall. We went to dinner every night (mashed potatoes--YUMMMMM!!!) and had a great time swapping sea stories as most sailors do.

We continued to correspond for a while until my incapacitating migraines made it really hard to communicate with anyone, but MJ didn't give up on me and continued to send cards, letters, emails, and good thoughts my way.

Meanwhile, she and Mike embarked on their Big Cruise. Thrugh the Great Lakes and the Erie Canal and down the ICU with the intention of getting down to Florida before hurricane season.  In Virginia, Mike suffered a mild heart attack and they were sidelined in Virginia for the winter.  He's fine now and they decided to dry-dock their boat and head backe to Michigan for the summer and will be back in the fall to pick up their boat, Dragonquest and head for somewhere warm. I'm trying to talk them into heading for the Virgins, but they'll probably cruise the Bahamas first.

Anyway--after a fabulous cold weather cook-out Sunday night, we all went hiking on Monday.  It was my first uphill hike--I had walked  the mile-loop around the lake last fall, but we hiked about 2 miles up to the overlook at Linville Falls--a spectacular gorge view.  I have 2 telescoping hiking sticks that I kind of use like ski poles. I managed to get up that mountain and back down in one piece. YAY ME!!!!

Maryjane is totally my hero--you should see her move. You would never ever know that she was minus one balance nerve by watching her. I guess from all that boating she has compensated really well, and went into this whole deal being a very active person to begin with.  She is living proof to all of us that we can overcome balance issues with determination and hard work.

It was really funny arranging ourselves so we could hear each other--we're both lefties (left ear/no hear)

Anyway--I'm all inspired to keep fighting and training my residual balance systems to be over-achievers--as I hope this little story inspires anyone who reads it!!

Captain Deb 8)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 11:16:56 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

Re: Two ANS go ........HIKING!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 01:52:22 pm »
You're radianting excitement in your type!

So glad you disappeared for something fun..phyl and I were getting worried about you being so quiet!

Thanks for sharing the story...there is life after AN ;)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 02:31:42 pm »
ah, there's the pirate wench! ;)  Hoping no migraines between Monday and today.... but thrilled you had a good visit! I knew how excited you were about it! Glad you had a terrific time!

xoxoxo
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 02:51:06 pm »
It is so good to share someone's good news. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
Take care.
Lynn

matti

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 07:19:36 pm »
Glad you had such a wonderful weekend and the added benefit of NO migraines. Yeah!!! ;D
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

DeniseSmith

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 09:27:57 am »
Deb,

Good for you!! I hope when I get on down the line in my recovery,  I can go hiking.  I Love it!! :D

Hope all is well you!

Denise

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 09:40:48 am »
Way to go, Captn!

I hope to make a trip in our Land Yacht back to the east coast after I get my land legs under me a little more.  Success stories are great to hear (pun intended!)  I need to take you and Phyl up on your offers of good east coast cuisine and some rousing grog!  Spending most of our time in the desert southwest we make a mean frozen margarita so maybe we can exchange recipes!  My DW (dear wife Carol) and I are trying to figure out how to communicate when we go down the road in the Motor Home, because I'm a righty and she has tinnitus real in her left ear, so neither one of us can here each other while driving.  Thinking of using our FRS radios with ear phone mics to talk...what do you think?

Glad you and your friends had a great time...one of the great pleasures we get out of traveling full-time in our Land Yacht is meeting friends over and over again as we travel.  Life is Great!!!!

Road Trip Dale!  (I like the nickname Captn' Deb gave me!)
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO