Author Topic: south florida  (Read 3094 times)

michaelg

south florida
« on: May 10, 2006, 05:47:37 pm »
I am debating whether to have surgery or stereotactic radiation. I was just diagnosed last week. I'm 53 and saw a surgeon who suggested complete removal.(that's what he does). But I'm tending toward radiation. The AN is 1.5 cm. Is anyone familiar with any doctors in South Florida?

shoegirl

Re: south florida
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 07:05:56 pm »
Hi,

I can't recommend a specific dr for you but wanted to refer you to the Cyberknife support group, one of the doctors from the group I believe is in Palm Beach or West Palm?  www.cyberknifesupport.org  He may be able to help you or recommend someone.

The site is great if you are considering radiation, the doctors answer posts directly.  Patients do too.  The site is Cyberknife focused but the doctors are very well versed and can speak to other forms of radiation (and microsurgery) in addition to CK.

Good Luck! Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 07:54:16 pm »
I'm curious who you saw in south fl?  Was it telischi and marcos?

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 07:58:46 pm »
In determining your treatment options you need to look at tumor size and symtpoms.  How large is your AN?  Do you have any symtpoms?

I'm in central fl.

Michelle

Sheryl

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 08:34:53 pm »
MichaelG - I'm in S.W. Florida and have been a "wait and watch" patient for 4-1/2 years.  My tumor was found incidentally and I still have no symptoms.  It is different than an AN as it is on the 9th cranial nerve rather than the 8th.  After many MRI's, the neuroradiologist feels it probably has increased 3 or 4 mm, some of which may be due to technical differences.  There is no pressure on my brainstem.  My neurosurgeon is not recommending surgery (kind of strange for a surgeon) but if I wanted to go that route, he suggested Miami or Gainesville.  When and if anything has to be done, I will probably go the radiation route and have already spoken to and sent my MRI's to the cyberknife facility in Naples.  Where in S. Florida are you?
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 09:14:43 pm »
HI Sheryl,
  I'm in Melbourne up on the east coast.  I had my surgery in Tampa and consulted with Telischi in miami.  I used to live in Naples after I got married more than 12 years ago.  I had to have microsurgery but if I had the option I would have gone cyber or gamma first.  I'd go least invasive before high invasive anyday!

Onebadass350bird is down that way and just had cyber (I think it was cyber)  Not sure what facility.

Michelle

Sheryl

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 03:08:58 pm »
Hey Michelle - have been following along with everyone's posts for awhile even though I don't get a chance to post much myself.  I have the added benefit of recently becoming a "snowbird" after living in Cape Coral/Fort Myers area for the past ten years.  We will be on Cape Cod (had lived there 26 years) for the summer and not too far from the medical mecca of Boston.  I've been in touch with Phyllis via e-mail and will travel with my MRI's on CD (what amazing technology) in case I want to check out the facilities up there.  So much rain up there the past few days that I'll try to send some down, although it sounds like the day we leave, there is finally a 50% chance of rain down here.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 08:46:53 pm »
Hi Sheryl,
  I'd take my stuff to boston too!  I had my surgery in Tampa and my surgeon was great!  I had a consult in Miami and wouldn't recommend that experience and I know two people who went to shands and had successful outcomes in the fact they survived but had problems.  One used Antonelli and one used Friedman.  I didn't have the time to wait to get into shands nor could I travel.  I'd def. look elsewhere. 

Rain rain come our way!  Those fires are getting too close to where I am!

FranDS

• 7mm; diag May 2, 2006
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 01:24:44 pm »
Michaelg, I, too, am in South Florida (Palm Beach County).  Shoegirl is right, there are two CK facilities, one in Miami and another in Palm Beach Gardens.  I think they are affiliated.  The CK sight is very good, and doctors from both facilities are active on the forum.  I am considering the PBG facility and hope to make an appointment to discuss my AN very soon.  If I get some more useful information from my appointment, I'll let you know.  Please do the same.  Thanks.
Fran
7mm May 2, 2006
Waiting and Watching