Author Topic: Do I have an AN???  (Read 2608 times)

erockpine

Do I have an AN???
« on: June 24, 2010, 06:19:43 pm »
Hi- I have had pressure and a gradual loss of hearing in my right ear over a period of just over a year..... initially, every time I had an appointment with a doctor, I was laid off of my job and no longer had insurance, so..... cancelled.  I now have lost at least half of my hearing on the RIGHT side, and have continuous, chronic, dull headaches on my LEFT side- starting at the base of my skull on the left, and also over my left eye.  My regular doctor tried prednisone/ nasicort/ decongestant/ antihistamine therapy to no avail, as he was thinking it might be an inner ear issue. I now have an appointment next week at the Michigan Ear Institute, where they specialize in AN's and neurosurgery.  From everything I'm reading online, by the time you get headaches, the tumor is usually pretty big.  I'm now getting pressure in my left ear as well, but can still hear OK out of it.  Are these symptoms typical?  What else could it be if not an AN?  Any response would be comfortimg at this point- thanks!  Erock

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Re: Do I have an AN???
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 06:53:27 pm »
I know you have gotten my message, but Michigan Ear Institute should be a great place to help with finding what is actually going on since you have symptoms  with hearing and ear.     They also have many additional tests besides an MRI they may have you do.    IN good hands (in my opinion)

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 11:03:21 am »
Welcome!

Hang in there.  You're going to an excellent facility and I am certain they will be able to get to the bottom of whatever is going on, whether it is an acoustic neuroma or not.  As for symptoms, the severity of symptoms is not necessarily indicative of the size of the tumor, so don't be overly worried that you are having multiple symptoms.  Some people have very large tumors and virtually NO symptoms while others with very small tumors can be very symptomatic.  I know this is cheap advice, but do try not to worry too much.

Let us know what you find out, and don't hesitate to ask any questions that pop up.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 12:52:45 pm »
Erock ~

Hi - and welcome.  I hope you don't have an acoustic neuroma but your symptoms do have some similarity with that of AN patients, so your concern is understandable.  Obviously, we're not doctors and cannot credibly diagnose what is causing your hearing loss and head pain - but the doctors at MEI should be able to pinpoint the source of the problems and, should an AN be the culprit, address it.  Debbi is correct when she states that, if you're found to have an acoustic neuroma, the severity of your symptoms do not necessarily equate to the actual size of the tumor.  Upon diagnosis, my AN had grown to 4.5 cm but my symptoms, which were not severe but were undeniable at that point, didn't manifest themselves until approximately six months prior to my diagnosis (via MRI).  The tumor had grown so big that it was seriously compressing my brainstem.  I underwent debulking surgery a few weeks later and had no complications.  I trust that, if you're found to be harboring an acoustic neuroma, it will be easily addressed and you'll enjoy a good outcome.  Should your symptoms end up being related to something else, I hope it will be relatively minor and, again, easily treated.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 02:29:32 pm »
The only way to diagnose an acoustic neuroma is through a MRI - usually with gadolinium contrast.

You're in great hands @ Michigan Ear; they have a wonderful reputation.

Good luck next week and please keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

erockpine

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 07:53:51 pm »
Thank you all for your replies... I'm sitting here a lil easier now.  Information is my friend lol!  Seems you all are a great, caring bunch of people who have been through something extraordinary.  I'm glad I found this forum.  If my outcome is an AN diagnosis, I will at least be honored to be in the company of people like you all.  I'll keep you posted.  Man, Thursday, July 1 can't come soon enough! - Erock