Author Topic: So here is the MRI pic, if this works  (Read 6154 times)

inmaine724

So here is the MRI pic, if this works
« on: June 27, 2010, 11:34:45 am »
I know that there are no doctors, and people can't really give advice.  Just wondering what you guys think? Waiting to hear from the doctor is insane!!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2068152&id=1412268748&l=ab54c313ec
Happiness grows in direct proportion to your acceptance, and in inverse proportion to your expectations.--Michael J Fox

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: So here is the MRI pic, if this works
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:30:48 pm »
Danielle ~

I know you're in torment waiting to hear from your doctor but as you noted, we aren't doctors and cannot 'read' your MRI scan.  Frankly, I wouldn't, even if I thought I could because, with no medical education or training I would (a) risk frightening you unnecessarily or, (b) possibly give you false hope.  I could be wrong either way and that wouldn't be fair or helpful to you.  Comparing your MRI photos to other people's MRI photos is also problematic and can easily lead to wrong conclusions on your part.

As hard as it is, I would suggest you try to do fun things and/or 'busywork' to distract yourself until you hear from the doctor on Monday. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 01:39:05 pm »
Hi Danielle,

I looked at your picture, but I am certainly not qualified to interpret it.
Just wanted to let you know I live in Portland, too. 
Which doctor are you seeing?

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

inmaine724

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 02:51:53 pm »
Ha!  Waiting is awful.  I'm not even sure if he'll get in touch tomorrow.  I really have no idea.  You can delete it if you want to!

I'll post about what they say when he calls...

:-)
Happiness grows in direct proportion to your acceptance, and in inverse proportion to your expectations.--Michael J Fox

inmaine724

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 02:55:03 pm »
My doc in Portland is Dr Dinnerstein at Maine Neurology, but my ENT ordered this.  

I lived in Portland for about 12 years, worked at Dimillo's forever.  We are up in Belgrade now.

E-mail me if you want!

...Danielle
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 05:09:10 am by Joef »

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 03:08:03 pm »
My late hubby lived in Waterboro Maine, so I made many trips there and did shop in Portland...It was the first US city I seen with a Canadian Tim Horton's...I havent been there in 3 yrs.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 03:41:31 pm »
I am not a doctor - nor do I play one on the Forum - so just my two cents worth.

I don't see anything "alarming" about your MRI pic.  So I'll venture to guess that you don't have an AN - or if you do that it's very small.

Don't hold me to this though.  Let us know what the doctor says.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 06:02:08 pm »
Danielle .....

Looking back at your previous posts, it seems you were told you had an AN that was discovered on an MRI for another reason ..... and the purpose of this MRI was to determine the size of it now.

As with the others, I am not a doctor nor would I presume to be able to read your MRI.  However, I do know the scanner takes many, many cuts (pictures) of the interior of your skull and the one you posted is only one of them.  Each cut is slightly different and the radiologist looks at all of them to make the determination of the size of anything within the scanned views.

One thing I always do is pick up a copy of the MRI report as soon as it is ready (usually within 48 hours).  The report should state the size and location of the AN, even if you cannot identify it from the images you pulled up on your computer from the CD ROM.  The danger in reading the report yourself is to not panic if you read something you think might be serious, when it may be normal.

Like Jim said, I hope you can busy yourself with fun things to do right now ..... until you hear back from the doctor.  ANs are typically very slow growing so you should have time to know all of your options before needing to choose a path of treatment.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

inmaine724

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 07:03:07 pm »
Thank you all.  They gave me the disc at the hospital before I left.  This image was the 'cover' on the CD case, if that makes sense.  So I thought it was relevant.  Maybe not??  HA!  I have no idea what I'm doing!  But yes, they already confirmed it was an AN on an MRI from Feb of 09.  So if there is nothing much on here, maybe it hasn't grown.  I have to stop speculating!! 

Give me a cervical spine MRI and I can read it as well as any neuroradiologist.  I've been doing that for years, but this brain thing is so complex looking.  Hopefully he calls tomorrow.  I'm told this is very rare, and here in Maine it's even more so.  My guess is that this will be of interest to him in the morning, regardless of the size, so I hope he takes the time to contact me as soon as possible.

Thanks again everyone!

...Danielle

mk

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 07:10:03 pm »
A medium-large AN in the CPA can be seen unambiguously on the MRI scan. A small one however may only show up in a slice or two, as Clarice mentioned. I don't think that the image on the cover is necessarily the appropriate slice. With all the precautions that everyone else has stated, I might speculate that you don't have a biggie. Small ones are sometimes very hard to see.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

opp2

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 07:11:32 pm »
I'd like to add too, that you were discussing the dye in another post. If you had the dye (can't spell it without looking) it will show up white on the scans. That might help you a little. Good luck to you.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 07:35:03 pm »
Danielle .....

Looking back at your previous posts, it seems you were told you had an AN that was discovered on an MRI for another reason ..... and the purpose of this MRI was to determine the size of it now.

Clarice

Well then, all I can say is it's a damn good thing that I'm not a doctor, Danielle, or I would have just misdiagnosed you  :o

Guess I shouldn't give up my day job  ;D

Jan

PS to opp2 - the name of the dye is gadolinium.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

inmaine724

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 07:39:19 pm »
HA!  My 8 yr old pointed and said "mommy, there are your eyes" (because I hadn't noticed!).  So I read it much worse than you possibly could!

:-)

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 09:39:31 am »
let us know the outcome
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

inmaine724

Update...
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 10:30:40 am »
He called!  It is small.  It's 5X4.5x8.5.  He referred me to Mass Eye and Ear in Boston.  I asked about radiation and he said they generally don't do radiation in people who are surgical candidates because it can cause an 'incredible inflammatory process'??  What does that mean!??  I thought radiation was an option from everything I read.

At least it's small.  I thought I would be in the watch and wait group.  He said most likely not, because of my balance issues (I get room spinning episodes pretty frequently, though they aren't that big a deal!).  Not sure what that means, but we'll see what happens!

Thanks everyone for your kind words through this whole process!

...Danielle
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:35:17 pm by inmaine724 »