Author Topic: Hubby's concern about returning to work  (Read 3017 times)

mom2cbnt

Hubby's concern about returning to work
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:14:23 pm »
Ok, so returning to work isnt something that is happening just yet.  He doesnt have his 6 wk post op appointments until the 14th/15th of July, so he still has some time before he has to return to his job.   Now for the most part he does have a desk job, doing A LOT of computer work.  He is a Supply Chain Manager for a manufacturing facility. 

Now he also has another Job.  He is a Pastor at a small church.  This is a part time position, and for the most part he is only preaching on Sundays (well not yet as he cant yet even think about being on the computer long enough to write a sermon, let alone research it. )  Now he has a question for many of you.     He is really not sure if he can keep up the pastoral job.   The Associate pastor is filling in for him until we get back to church,  This past Sunday was his first real "outing"  that was more than a quick drive somewhere and return home, and it wiped him out.    We went to our old church since it was only 5 minutes from the house, the church we pastor at is 35 minutes away, and the drive is a bit intense for him with curvy roads. * this is something he is having difficulty with - the driving, or in his case the passengering  :)

Is there any of you who returned to work at more than one job?  One FT and one PT?  Any help and advice is appreciated.   

Thanks.
wife of Robert who was diagnosed with 2.3 cm AN Left side.  3/16

translab U of M Ann Arbor, Mi  5/26 
During surgery AN measured just over 3 cm. 
Recovering slowly.

mom2cbnt

Re: Hubby's concern about returning to work
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:54:44 pm »
He just gave me another question.

What was it like for you once you returned to work?   Was going to work, coming home spending some time with family etc,  it?  Was that all you could do for a while?  Did that wipe you out completely?   

His whole thought process revolves around is his primary FT job going to be all he can do for months.   Will  he follow the kids to bed at 8 pm and crash because he doesnt have any more energy?    He usually researches and writes his sermons after the kids go to bed.
wife of Robert who was diagnosed with 2.3 cm AN Left side.  3/16

translab U of M Ann Arbor, Mi  5/26 
During surgery AN measured just over 3 cm. 
Recovering slowly.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:09:12 pm »
I only work one FT job (desk job) and after surgery I returned to work 1/2 days for a while.  It really helped because I found the fatigue to be overwhelming.  I would work in the morning and then come home and nap in the afternoon.

I'd recommend that your husband return to work part-time if possible and then gradually return full-time. 

He'll know his limitations (his body will tell him) and he should listen.

My two cents for what it's worth,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:13:06 pm »
I was 25 & also had a stroke while I was in my 14 hour surgery, BUT I returned to work FT after only 3 months (short time for all I went thru).  Even though there are many more physically demanding jobs out there, I taught 1st grade so I was on the go a LOT!!  I would literally come home at the end of the day (4ish maybe) and go to bed for the night - I might eat when my hubby came in & woke me up - and get up the next morning and do it again.  More than anything, you HAVE to listen to your body.  I, personally, would give it a few weeks AFTER he goes back to his FT job before he tries preaching again.  That is just too much to expect too soon...just my 2 cents!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 11:16:43 pm »
I noticed you said your husband has problems writing sermons because of the time he must spend working at a computer.  You also stated that his FT job requires a lot of computer work. 

I was laid off from my job as a software developer a week before my AN was diagnosed.  I'm 3 months out from surgery and am terrified at the thought of having to look for work.  I have problems working at my computer for anything more than a half hour at a time.

He definitely needs to try working at his FT job first before including his PT job.  If he can't handle a full day on the FT job, start with a half day and work up to a full day over a period of a time until he is able to handle the FT job.  Then add the PT job in a little at a time.  It's possible that he might be able to handle half days at his FT job and also handle the PT job before he can handle the FT job for a full day.  The difference being that he would have a break of several hours between the jobs that would allow him to rest.

Please keep us posted as to how it all works out.
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 11:49:02 pm »
I was pretty apprehensive about returning to work, and I had a variety of things to overcome.  To give you an idea of what I "normally" work, I work 12 hour shift, 6pm to 6am, wed-fri night and every other saturday night. Prior to my surgery, I worked a day shift and not as many hours, almost normal for everyone else. I was out for 8 weeks and when I went back, not only did I have to adjust back to night shifts/12 hour days again, I had to work on computers a lot, while being on my feet a lot as well.  It's been over 4 months now since I have returned back to work and I am just now getting my mojo back.  As with everything else AN though, everyone responds to things in different ways, and going back to work is no different.  As Kaybo says, you gotta listen to your body and go with the flow.  I guess it all comes down to priorities, if you can't work BOTH jobs, which job can you live without?  Maybe he can take a sabbatical from pastoring, I know this is common.  As I am sure you all are doing, a lot of prayers flowing will certainly help in your decision or how his body will respond.  I know they did well for me!  Good luck with this, let us know how it goes!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

moe

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:59:45 am »

Will  he follow the kids to bed at 8 pm and crash because he doesnt have any more energy?   

He may very well do that, after a day at work. Everyone is different, depending on what symptoms they are dealing with. He needs to listen to his body, and if it poops out, then it poops out!

Being still pretty fresh post op, the fatigue is completely normal, and I would recommend getting as much rest as he possibly can, combined with walking and increasing his endurance.

Things WILL get better, it just takes time. Months to feel back to normal, and maybe up to a year.

If I have to work my part time job, I come home and basically don't have the energy to do anything, because of my tinnitus/deafness which drain me emotionally during the day. Like I said, everyone is different.

A nap mid afternoon usually helps to carry me through.

He really is doing well. Baby steps. You just take it as it comes ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 08:35:39 pm »
I too took it slow when I first went back to work, first pt from home and then pt in the office.  I have dealt with many headaches during my recovery so that was the worst part.  However for the first couple months back full time I was totally exhausted and this was starting at about 4 months post op.  I think the biggest thing is getting out and trying to challenge the brain a bit more before attempting to sit at a computer all day. 
Just make sure he listens to what his body is telling him, try not to over do it.  Is part time a possibility?  It helps to ease back into "real life"

Keep us posted on this next leg of the journey goes,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt